age of Civ IV players

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by sanjay_111, Oct 27, 2007.

1. billybgame

billybgame Prince

42 here....been playing Civ since 1. So, we are close in age. Even worse, I'm still a big Diablo 2 player. And, play games on XBox, PS, etc. Nothing wrong with being a kid at heart. I hope I never stop being one.

2. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Yay for Indian people! I'm Indian but still attend school, so try figuring my age. And Carabodes! Got any Grandchildren who play Civ?

Just kidding. Sorry. This post was probably uncalled for, but I'm on a high after finally figuring out the true meaning of E=MC^2

Basically, a gram of mass traveling at 8.98755179 × 10^16 meters per second will become one newton of energy. Why? The faster something goes, the more energy the mass contains. At this speed, the atoms split into neutrons, protons, and electrons, the neutrons, protons, and electrons into quarks, then into whatever is less and less till the mass is spread across the universe....and then when the speed reaches that level- pure energy!

3. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

I'll join in on the fun, just for you :D
    As I said, grandchildren yet to arrive, but when I have them, I'll surely teach them Civ.:D

Congrats! Oh, Einstein! And don't be sorry, we all need the occasional "off track"-thing.;)

- And when a butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazone, a hurricane is hitting Japan.
    EDIT: Okey then, ParadigmShifter, a hurricane might possibly hit Japan.
    - When "El Niño" fails in Chile/Peru, the deserts spread in Africa.
    - If we wait long enogh, the continents will have drifted so much that we'll have a new Pangea. That is; If global warming don't get us first.
    - When a population is separated by a geographical bottleneck, new species evolve.

How's your biology getting along? :lol:

Now I'll shut up and leave this thread to more serious people.
    (I just couldn't help myself :D)

4. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

- And when a butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazone, a hurricane is hitting Japan.

Not that that is a causal link. Chaos theory just says that you can't measure things like atmospheric pressure accurately enough in a chaotic system, since an infinitessimally small change will become magnfied over time, so the weather next week could be changed a great deal by the pressure change of the butterfly flapping.

I'm 36 by the way and don't just play Civ and other computer games, I make a living programming silly games for kids as well. And to think my Dad said I'd never get anywhere by playing computer games.

5. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

@ParadigmShifter
    I've edited my post :D
    NOW I'll hopefully shut up :crazyeye:

6. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

I'm going to be 33 in November and have been playing Civ since it came out . I've been with my bf since 2000. When Civ III came our I had only just moved in with him and I warned him not to buy it for me for my b-day because I know what I'm like. Of course he bought it and it led to many an argument. I just got Civ IV but he has mellowed out over time. He is 10years older than I am and didn't grow up around computers like I did so he has very little interest in computer games, but I did install a poker game for him so I'd have a reason to moan at him for playing games all day.. :p

7. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Civ IV has to be the most intellectual computer game I've ever seen, with the most educated players. You can't read a guide and copy a strategy, as it requires a lot of learning and analyzing and planning.

If somebody ever published an in depth "master's" guide, it would be well over a thousand pages, maybe 5000 if you included representative sample games with analyses.

8. sanjay_111

sanjay_111 Warlord

I love that line - nothing wrong with being a kid at heart. I have ALWAYS prided myself on being a kid at heart and told this to anyone who cared to listen (or if I was told I was being childish !!!). You really took my words out of my mouth !

Thanks to everyone for posting - I now have enough material to show my wife. But would encourage others also to keep posting.

Sanjay

PS: Anyone with skill level at about Prince level for a multiplayer game, please PM me

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I'm 57. When I was a kid, I decided that Peter pan had the right idea. I've been a kid ever since then, although I have an "adult" personality that I trot out when I have to go to work (physician) or other such trivialities.

10. Hinka

Hinka Chieftain

Hello sanjay, im 34 years old, and my wife thinks im too old to play "games" :lol:

11. sanjay_111

sanjay_111 Warlord

Hinka, follow the same trick that I do - show some of these posts to your wife ! My doing so did stop her calling me weird though she still resents my spending so much time on computer

12. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

My girlfriend is in her mid-20s and yet, seems to care passionately about who wins those "Idol" shows.

So if need be, I have a perfect response to any comment from her to the effect that playing PC games is immature behaviour! :lol:

13. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

I'm twelve, started playing at seven. Addicted at eight.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Signature.

15. sanjay_111

sanjay_111 Warlord

Excellent suggestion. I too laughed when I read it.

Problem is - I too cared about music idol (though not soo passionately) so I am not sure if I can use it.

But one can look out for similar immature behaviours and then deliver tit for tat.

16. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

Huhhhhhhh?????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

43 like you started playing computer games on a BBC computer ( i actually got to be 'Elite' ( if you're my age in the UK and into computers you know what i mean) and still going.

As a wise man once said...you don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.

18. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Don't know about BBC computers. But I started at 42, on the Amiga, and
    later SNES, before I got my first pc (P90!). Now play on 5500 mz. AMD Athlon
    Boy, times have changed! So, just in case you missed it. Yes, I am 61 and
    my wife is 63. We both love games and always will. Is this a record for this
    thread so far? And yes we do other things too. Nothing wrong with "young
    at heart", either.

19. LemonJello

LemonJello Warlord

35. Got hooked on Civ:Original Flava when it came out while in college and kept along, buying the new versions, though not all the expansion packs...Civ III was my escape while in Okinawa, then later in Afghanistan (along with a couple of buddies). Got ahold of IV while in Africa and was hooked all over again.

My wife has known me since the early days of this addiction, and while she doesn't like all the time I put into it (especially when something new comes out), she sees it as something that I enjoy and can respect that.

20. algonacy

algonacy Chieftain

40 just this year. Didn't start on the Civ series until CivIII, but am not planning on ever stopping. Love this game. Other games come and go (spent 6 months playing BF2, as an example) but I always come back to Civ. Now currently addicted to the FFH mod and can't wait to try BTS (don't own it yet, but that will change soon enough).