Votes: 124 15.8%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 30-45 years old

Votes: 104 13.2%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 45-60 years old

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm over 60 years old

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
I have played all Sid Meir's games since Microprose.

F-15 Strike Eagle was the first Meier's game I played... on a C-64. Followed by Silent Service and then F-15 Strike Eagle II. Good times, good times.

Speaking of good times, I'm 44 and I like Civ 5. I've played all the Civ games from the start (well - January 1992 when I finally got my own computer. Had to use my brother's up until then). I liked Civ 4 for the most part, but some of the stuff they added just felt like bloat (espionage, corporations) rather than interesting strategy decisions. Almost like they kept throwing more at it just to have more.

F-15 Strike Eagle was the first Meier's game I played... on a C-64. Followed by Silent Service and then F-15 Strike Eagle II. Good times, good times.

My introduction to PC gaming was a multi pack Microprose CD with Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Silent Services, and some stealth bomber simulation game that I remember being incredible complicated and difficult.

I still have the CD and manuals kicking around the office.

Ah the good old days when DRM was matching an image on the screen to an image in the manual.

47 here.
I have bought and played every version and expansion pack of Civ since the original on my Amiga500, and am quite happy with Civ 5.
I play SP about 80%, but also LAN multi-player with the family.

I really like most of the significant gameplay changes.
I expected teething problems particularly with hardware compatibility, the UI, the AI and integration of the newer gameplay concepts but I am totally confident that all these rough edges will be smoothed out over the next few years.

I'm looking forward to many years of fun with Civ5.

30, fairly happy with the game. It needs a lot of work, but I have already put in 60 hours.

Been playing since 1991! Civ1 was one of the first two games I bought (Along with I think the Grandest Fleet)

Well so far 599 people polled and about 70% of people like CiV. Sounds like a win to me. Unlike some people I actually realize what the developers reasoning behind certain aspects of doing things different and all this so called dumbing down is for the reason of creating a base game that can me modded till your hearts content. That is my take on it and from what I have read that is the developers intent.

My introduction to PC gaming was a multi pack Microprose CD with Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Silent Services, and some stealth bomber simulation game that I remember being incredible complicated and difficult.

I still have the CD and manuals kicking around the office.

Ah the good old days when DRM was matching an image on the screen to an image in the manual.

My intro was a pirated copy of civ 1. But we had a bad copy of the manual (and didn't always get past the piracy protection) so I saved up my money and bought that that cd. I still have it and the manuals somewhere too.:)

I'm 20 , started playing at Civ II (even played the Call to Power Civ's because i loved the civ concept so much) and am disappointed with Civ V . Tho i wouldn't say its really bad but i expected much better and it seems they've sold us an unfinished game (way too many bugs and failures ) and many concepts have obviously been rushed .

The poll shows that the majority of players who like civ 5 are between 18-30 years old with quite a handful of under 18 years olds thus, 2k reached their goal: to make civ attractive for the younger (console) crowd.

This means that the next civ iterations will go even more on this path while the old players will remain with their old versions and with high hopes that the modders will bring back the fun for them.

P.S: This also means that probably many things such as the dumb AI won't be patched 'cuz it will spoil the fun...

It seems they have also played II, III, and IV and not just V, so they have a little idea of the changes made and how the game works. Maybe it should have been 12-15, 16-20, 21-25.... age groups and may have proved your point better or maybe not. 18-30 is just too big of an age gap for a game series that has been out for only 20+ years.

Civ5 is a good game, but need some polishing. The only real issue for me is dumb AI - it's really bringing down the quality of this game. I think because of it the majority of people find Civ5 way to easy, thus "dumbed down".

I'm 23
Civilization 1 was the first PC game I played maybe 1995(i did play some games before on old Bulgarian PC "Правец" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pravetz_series_8:lol:)

Totally disappointed with Civ V

I voted 'LIKE' but I feel that Civ5 is a lot like vanilla Civ3.

A huge break from a popular predecessor and that's a lot of things to adjust to. I also think there needs to be some performance tweaks as well as overhaul of a few key features to make them more fun in a future expansion pack.

Firaxis very nearly re-made Civ4 with Warlords/BTS. Vassal states was game changing. I'm hoping City States rise up as concept to be more than 'super bonus resources' on the map. Because that's what they are at the moment.

They need to make city state diplomacy more interesting. And i mean that as a two way street.
City states ought to radiate diplomacy and plot with the rest of the Civs. Perhaps a city state can grow to become the capital of a new empire if certain conditions were right.

It seems they have also played II, III, and IV and not just V, so they have a little idea of the changes made and how the game works. Maybe it should have been 12-15, 16-20, 21-25.... age groups and may have proved your point better or maybe not. 18-30 is just too big of an age gap for a game series that has been out for only 20+ years.

What you quoted by the other poster was just a mess too, but your analysis here is off. Changing the age groups probably wouldn't help much - but experience and expertise with previous civ games might be slightly interesting and more appropriate.

The poll is horribly skewed by self-selection bias in many ways - the only obvious truth coming out is that a larger proportion of older CivFanatics were displeased with the game than younger ones, but that doesn't really speak towards sales numbers and so on as a whole as this forum isn't close to representative.

I voted disappointed, and I'm 20.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game and pretty much every change they made. Still disappointed, mostly by the AI.

31 and love Civ V already. Love the war. Love the separation of gold, science, and culture. Doesn't like the way city expands though...

22 and I have been playing since Civ I. Civilization is my favorite game series of all time.
Civilization V is a delight and I am loving every moment of it... cept the couple bugs I have gotten...
Those will get fixed, but I have played 72 hours over the course of the last week and no bugs have seriously impeded me, so I am not too concerned.

I think all the people who are saying that most people hate it and the only people who like it are new and casual players to the series are wrong.
I am a hardcore player... WoW for 5 years, SC2 high diamond league, I have played every civ game for ages and ages and ages. And I will continue to do so in Civ V. I don't think it was dumbed down, or made to cater exclusively to casual new players.

So there is a trend toward older players being more likely to dislike the new game, compared to younger players: the youngest group liking Civ5 the most, and the oldest group liking it the least (and the other age groups moving in that direction as they get "older"). Overall, though, more people like the game then dislike it, so age isn't a huge factor :)

Top Bottom