[NFP] AI crazy about Science

I'm assuming you're talking about the science bug (conversation digressed a bit).

1. So far as in aware, there has been no public recognition of the bug. We're not even sure it is a bug - it just seems stupid to not be.

2. No, it's still there, unless it was patches pretty recently.

3. I've reported it. I'm sure that hundreds of others have to.

4. No, it does affect lower games. I've not compared, but I'd imagine it might not be so bad on lower difficulties. The AI pursues military much less, which means gold lasts longer before running out and killing their units. However, it is very much still a problem, even on Settler.

You can see for your self. Play a game with Barbs. In the early eras, the Barbs will become stupidly advanced (since they're linked with the tech of the AIs, who are shooting ahead due to their Science focus). After a few eras, the military score will plummet down to zero as they can't afford to maintain units anymore. They don't ever seem to recover.
Well, they're barbs.. they're not supposed to build and are there to destroy and pillage instead without any future vision.. barb mentality. :gripe:

Heard this was finally being fixed. Awesome!

Last edited:
So MrRadar, tried this out yet? :)

In Victories.xml, Campus is still a favored district, but ClassicalYields is down to 30.

So MrRadar, tried this out yet? :)

In Victories.xml, Campus is still a favored district, but ClassicalYields is down to 30.
Yes, trying out the new leaders. AI is noticeably less focused on science, has more units and more CH to steal cash from, like in the good old times. Which is then spent to buy Rumi’s and Valmiki’s tomes, Kamal’s paintings and such :)

I don’t think I saw a barb Man at Arms while still in the Ancient era over these few games, so that’s back to more “normal” as well.

And my lands are being flooded with heretic prophets and corrupting rock bands again. I even had to use the Music Censorship card for the first time ever in one of the games, as Phillip II started raking in 4-digit tourism per concert in my venues.

Now only if they fixed the deforestation formula and sorted out AI’s path through the tech tree to the science victory…

Sigh!
According to patch notes, the update has only been release por PC, Mac and IOS.
I don't mind that much missing the Leader Pass, but bug fixes would be very welcomed to my Nintendo Switch port of CIV VI.
No fair:cry:

Sigh!
According to patch notes, the update has only been release por PC, Mac and IOS.
I don't mind that much missing the Leader Pass, but bug fixes would be very welcomed to my Nintendo Switch port of CIV VI.
No fair:cry:
I hadn't checked. That put a bummer on my expectations. I'd want Civ on the Switch, and if they're abandoning console players in this iteration...then I can't trust them with the next :undecide:

if they're abandoning console players in this iteration
They might not have much choice in the matter, depending on how the contracts with Aspyr are written. Suing Aspyr to get another company to do the port might not even be worth the money if it that is an option.

then I can't trust them with the next :undecide:
Honestly, as long as Aspyr isn't doing the port of Civ7, I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully, Firaxis has learned their lesson and will do the port themselves since they do make console games and you would think they would want to handle the port of their flagship title themselves.

Between having the KotOR remake pulled out from under them (and good riddance) and now having contract issues with Firaxis (and perhaps 2k more broadly?), Aspyr really seems to be a rapidly sinking ship.

Between having the KotOR remake pulled out from under them (and good riddance) and now having contract issues with Firaxis (and perhaps 2k more broadly?), Aspyr really seems to be a rapidly sinking ship.
They actually got bought a media conglomerate a year or two before the KotOR remake announcement so I'm guessing their issues all stem from "cost saving" measures that their new owners implemented.

They might not have much choice in the matter, depending on how the contracts with Aspyr are written. Suing Aspyr to get another company to do the port might not even be worth the money if it that is an option.

Honestly, as long as Aspyr isn't doing the port of Civ7, I wouldn't worry too much. Hopefully, Firaxis has learned their lesson and will do the port themselves since they do make console games and you would think they would want to handle the port of their flagship title themselves.
To be honest, I don't really care if they have a choice now or not. They should have included a part of the contract that Aspyr had to do patches to fix problems. That they didn't is their own fault - and between that and the fact that they took so long to fix the problems even on the PC...yeah, I don't think they're trustworthy.

Well, they're barbs.. they're not supposed to build and are there to destroy and pillage instead without any future vision.. barb mentality. :gripe:
Well, barbarians also aren't supposed to be on the cutting edge of military science, and those quadremes won't stop popping up in the ancient era when there's really nothing that can contend with them.

Yes, trying out the new leaders. AI is noticeably less focused on science, has more units and more CH to steal cash from, like in the good old times. Which is then spent to buy Rumi’s and Valmiki’s tomes, Kamal’s paintings and such :)

I don’t think I saw a barb Man at Arms while still in the Ancient era over these few games, so that’s back to more “normal” as well.

And my lands are being flooded with heretic prophets and corrupting rock bands again. I even had to use the Music Censorship card for the first time ever in one of the games, as Phillip II started raking in 4-digit tourism per concert in my venues.

Now only if they fixed the deforestation formula and sorted out AI’s path through the tech tree to the science victory…
Still no hope in heck of getting a GS before medieval at earliest, but that may just be my playstyle.

One major thing I'm not seeing more of are trade routes from the AI. That really becomes a handicap in the long run. It's not enough to just build a harbor or CH. They have to properly leverage alliances.

So many civ's have trade-route abilities that go unleveraged by the AI, not to mention policies, wonders, etc. I feel like I'm cheating by the end game when I've got one trade per city and AI civ's have zerio, or maybe just one from building Colossus or somesuch

Last edited:
Well, barbarians also aren't supposed to be on the cutting edge of military science, and those quadremes won't stop popping up in the ancient era when there's really nothing that can contend with them.
I agree.. they could even make mechanical infantries in the late eras.

hello there i'm down here after playing a new game of civ after many month without playing and after like 8 hours of marathon games chill , i realised that all civ in my game were actually having 0 to 2 military units , i saw that u said a patch for this was out but i saw nobody said it was defently fixed so ... i'm confused

i'm pretty sure it has something to do with golden age and city lost sad it mean we cannot appreciate full content without bug

Last edited:
hello there i'm down here after playing a new game of civ after many month without playing and after like 8 hours of marathon games chill , i realised that all civ in my game were actually having 0 to 2 military units , i saw that u said a patch for this was out but i saw nobody said it was defently fixed so ... i'm confused

i'm pretty sure it has something to do with golden age and city lost sad it mean we cannot appreciate full content without bug

There are several mods that help the horrible AI

The combination of these two helps a LOT

Adaptive Difficulty

And

Real Strategy

The first one is gonna be controversial because it’s essentially rubber banding, but the end result is the AI actually having large armies and using them aggressively, which almost never happene otherwise

This mod prevents the AI from building units it can’t support or otherwise wouldn’t have axis to because of how strategic resources work in Civ6

Top Bottom