AI only gives benefits on first peace treaty

civcivv

Warlord
So after a few games of Civ I noticed something.

Only the first AI you had war with and then agree a peace treaty with will ever give you anything in exchange for peace.

All other AIs thereafter (including the first) will never offer you anything for peace. Its just peace for peace's sake.

Even nations with thousands of gold refuse to give you anything after you completely shatter them or halve their territory, pushing their ranking to the bottom.

Another thing peculiar with this is, the first AI offers to make peace with all your allied city states too. Thereafter, they only make peace with you, and separately with city states. They won't even give you 1 gold.

So after a few games of Civ I noticed something.

Only the first AI you had war with and then agree a peace treaty with will ever give you anything in exchange for peace.

All other AIs thereafter (including the first) will never offer you anything for peace. Its just peace for peace's sake.

Even nations with thousands of gold refuse to give you anything after you completely shatter them or halve their territory, pushing their ranking to the bottom.

Another thing peculiar with this is, the first AI offers to make peace with all your allied city states too. Thereafter, they only make peace with you, and separately with city states. They won't even give you 1 gold.

My experience has been different. I often farm multiple civs for advantageous peace treaties in the early part of the game. It does get more difficult, as time goes on, to continue extorting them in this way. Eventually, they wise up and start refusing any other deals than peace for peace.

Uploaded save.

Running mods: City State reward, GP mod, 24h clock

Napoleon offered me peace the turn before the save for nothing at all. You can offer him in this save for the same nothing. You can end turn and its still nothing.

Background: As you can see from the Ruins I just razed about 6 of his cities, vastly superior in military and tech. He has gold and cities he could give me. He also doesn't offer to make peace with all my allied city states, which the AI normally does on the first peace treaty.

Attachments

• QuickSave.zip
    586.2 KB · Views: 75
Also, in late game, AI just refuse to make peace treaties (when you click on negotiate peace, the negotiation pannel don't even show up, they just deny all peace negociation) even when its cleary dominated, like his last city is surrounded by bunch of your military units. It's not a bug per se, but it's kind of dumb.

I think there is bad AI here but pinning down the actual bug might be difficult. The AI does tend to flip from offering nothing in a peace treaty to a total surrender, giving all techs, all resources, all cities, all money, and money per turn. It's judgement criteria are rather poor. Also, the AI refuses to make peace for a few turns after war starts and after their capital falls, or if they've a unit with a spaces of your (captured) city, and who knows?

No, the refusal to make peace is normal. They stay at war for at least 10 turns always.

Top Bottom