1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI+ v13.1

AI Improvements for Civ VI

1. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Possibly? I'm not far enough yet to be able to tell for sure. What's promising is that there's something in behaviortrees called "air assault" which I'll be able to access. What's less promising is that it's already used in the base version of the game in city sieges, and since we don't really see the AI using their planes, it might just not work very well.
    It's definitely something on my list of stuff to do. Just a lot of fundamentals to work through first

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

3. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Looks like it's an expanded version of my xml based system that makes leaders more unique, uses some of the same variable names and such. Doesn't really look like he found new tools unfortunately :(

4. V. Soma

Siesta, have you seen this?

And perhaps you can look after if there are other typos in the firaxis code...

Leyrann likes this.
  5. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Yeah I've seen it, I believe someone even posted this same typo in this thread a while ago. For my xml mod it'd be better if they don't fix it, since fixing it will throw things out of whack.
    Can't remember if I've seen any other typos, but I've come across a bunch of bugs. Not really sure where to report them though, so I've just been sitting on them (forgetting some), fixing them myself wherever possible. Some of the most annoying are bugs in tools, which don't really affect players and so are unlikely to be fixed, but which affect my ability to change things.

Off the top of my head, some of the biggest bugs are:
    - Minor government bonuses in R&F may not be working at all (at least the communism production bonus doesnt seem to)
    - Some AI operations miss an operation type. This seem to mess up the operation limits and stops the AI from starting city attack operations. It's why you don't ever see late game attacks by the AI
    - AI settling logic doesn't check for fresh water on the settle tile, but instead appears to check for the count of fresh water tiles in its entire terrain. Making it frequently settle 1 tile away from rivers
    - AI operations frequently get stuck in a move-node when there are stragglers or when there isn't enough space. This prevents them from doing a lot of stuff. It appears to be a common cause for melee units standing still not doing anything
    - Archers frequently don't fire on units and instead end the turn (especially common for archers not part of an operation/stuck in the wrong operation node)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Leyrann and oedali like this.
  6. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

How much of that can you fix with the changes you're currently working on?

7. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Hopefully all but the minor government one.
    Still not entirely sure on the archer one because I still haven't found a way to 100% reliably do individual unit movements+attacks.

Leyrann likes this.
  8. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

You mentioned in the Civ Flavour Deity thread that you can use some help with some stuff, will there be any stuff that's basically working on xml and nothing else? Because I wouldn't mind helping out, but I have almost zero programming experience. I do know the basics of programming though, I just don't have the willpower to learn a language. But if there's something easy, I could do that.

9. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Yes, just simple xml-esque changes, tweaks and testing is going to be one of the most time demanding aspects and help in that area will be very welcome.
    It shouldn't need any programming knowledge, though it'll probably help. I think it'll probably actually end up being easier to make changes in lua than it was in xml. It won't require as much bulky text, allows more complex behavior without weird hacks, and it'll be easier to see what a change will end up doing.

Leyrann likes this.
  10. Abd121

Abd121 Chieftain

20 hours of testing I figured exactly the problem with the A+.

the AI builds an absurd amount of units. which is nice until you realize that they've run themselves dry with upkeep costs... the only times when I've seen the AI have any money is after a war that cost them all their troops, which is not exactly a viable outcome... another thing is that they spam cities way too close, they can never build tall because they refuse to give themselves any room to grow.

there are more things to iron out but those 2 are the most problematic IMO

11. V. Soma

I had a science win with Russia on Europe map - Scotland was leading in science and made the first two phases of Space projects, and then somehow forgot to finish...? Can it be that AI drops aim to make science victory...?

EDIT:

I checked the save from before end and I see Scotland was building something at one of the spaceports so... maybe just too slow...? (Norway and Spain was also going for science victory)

I think AI just is not smart enough to speed up space project building:
    I had:
    - GP Carl Sagan to finish off Mars Habitation (or what the most expensive one is called) in 1 turn...
    - gov. Pingala in the city promoted up to Space Project buff
    - aluminium and uranium
    - gov. plaza Royal Society and then builders to help project every turn...

I guess AI doesn't use many of these...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  12. oedali

oedali King

@Siesta Guru , any chance you can release a hot fix to increase commercial hub desire (assuming making the AI conscious of unit costs and managing their finances properly is not possible) prior to releasing your full new version? The self bankrupting seems to be the most obvious thing crippling the AI (I also observe in all my games) and possibly the easiest to fix as well?

13. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Sure, here's a slightly changed version with a higher desire for gold (and somewhat higher science). Do you guys mind doing some of the testing for me here to see if it's any better? I've run a couple of AI only games, but don't have the time right now to play games myself.

Note that it's actually not easy at all to stop it from bankrupting itself, that's been an issue throughout development. The core problem is that on higher difficulty levels, it just ends up with so much production, that it's inevitable that it'll build too many units. It just can't get enough gold to pay for the maintenance. Of course some extra commercials do help, but I'm pretty sure the issue won't be fixed entirely. I might not even be able to stop it from doing that with lua either, without resorting to having it just always declare war when there's too many units.
    They should've honestly just added some kind of maintenance reduction for the AI on higher difficulty levels.

Hope this'll adress your concerns too @Abd121

@V. Soma Yeah, the AIs always been beyond awful at that last leg of the space race. It doesn't seem to hurry projects, it doesn't prepare high production cities for its spaceports etc. It gets there eventually.. but way too slowly to be any real threat.

Attached Files:

oedali likes this.
  14. oedali

oedali King

Thanks, will try my next game with this version and see if I notice a difference.

Siesta Guru likes this.
  15. Abd121

Abd121 Chieftain

sure, Will try it in my next game

16. qqqbbb

qqqbbb Prince

Does AI pursue disabled victory types?

Does AI know how to use governors?

How do I make AI not care about city states or religion?

Latest patch made changes to siege units. Does it affect this mod?

17. civfnaticfan

civfnaticfan Chieftain

Dear Siesta , i am eager to tryout the Al+ hotfix you pass to Abd121 , i extract the file and put it inside my mod folder, however when i extract , i see another Ai+(v1) within the folder , can i assume that civ vi will use the Ai+mod file dated 17/2/2018 and not the one dated 19/11/2016 ?
    So far into this Ai+ mod deity, ai is very aggressive against CS , but they ignore building walls fast, and change their attitude to you to friendly pretty easily other than the neighbouring civs.

18. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

I'm afraid so

Badly. It doesn't seem to really care about cities loyalty, but the fact it's moving them around suggest it's at least doing some kind of thinking (not exposed to modders)

You could maybe turn city state war declarations off entirely by deleting the diploaction for it. Haven't tested
    Religion: Set the pseudoyield for Great Prophets to 0 and set the holy site district to favored=false. That should probably do it, though you may also have to reduce the faith yield desire.

Not entirely sure which change you mean, but siege units still work fine

19. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

It's probably better to just delete the old version. That version is so old that it probably doesn't actually load successfully and so doesn't do anything.

20. qqqbbb

qqqbbb Prince

ABILITY_NO_MOVE_AND_SHOOT now belongs to CLASS_SIEGE_SETUP not to CLASS_SIEGE.
    There is new AiType: UNITTYPE_SIEGE_ALL.