1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI+ v13.1

AI Improvements for Civ VI

1. FearSunn

FearSunn Warlord

I've been testing this long before patch. AI not just builds much more fighters and bombers but also uses them much more intensively. Especially bombers.
    My previous game I was bombed to the point close to surrender the game as I was slow with anti-air and just keep hiding my units in cities and encampaments.
    From other hand AI is still not very smart with their bombers, as it sometimes fixes itself on bombing something to the hole in the ground (like one of my encampaments) but fails to send ground unit to capture it.
    Then on another occasion I attacked AI city with submarines and next turn bum bombers from above and my 2 submarines gone.
    I've been experiencing things like that for some time already and was suprised why people complaining about air combat. I've even asked community for clarification: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/what-exactly-is-wrong-with-air-combat.632459/
    Only after been confirmed my games are really different I've released the mod in question.

My theory is that willinginess to use air units is somehow related to the number of air units AI has. More it has, more frequently it uses them. Something like reserving a few air units for something really special and using more freely all the "surplus". But I cant really explain why it works like that.

The proof is in the pudding, or how is it said in England? :)

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Siesta have you thought of scaling down your mod to the things that you think they can be done "quickly"?

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Warlord

Hi, does anyone know what happens, if a unit has more than one AI operation? In Lua I am experimenting with StartScriptedOperationWithTargetAndRally and AddUnitToScriptedOperation, which allows me to start an AI attack on cities. The "Attack Enemy City" operation works very well, but when I am adding a second "Attack Enemy City" operation for another target city, the AI unit will get totally confused and stops attacking his current target city.
    So this might be one of the reasons why the AI gets confused during city assaults or other important operations. In order to prevent this bug you would have to stop the ongoing operations, but I do not know how to do that, except killing the unit and then respawning a new unit with the same stats.
    Maybe it would be best to control AI operations only in Lua and prevent them from being automatically triggered by XML settings.

4. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Is this mod still alive?

oedali likes this.
  5. Part Hat

Part Hat Chieftain

The game crashes (v1.0.0.262)

6. Kurnn

Kurnn Warlord

I used this mod in every game for over a year!

But since the spring patch, in April, the AI was improved. And since then, this mod doesnt seam to do much towards the AI behavior anymore :(

The unique personalities that different AI could have with AI+, seams also to be gone.
    The AI has unique personalities, which seams to have improved with the late spring patch (not in the notes). But I can tell the difference from when AI+ "worked" and the current update.

I have tried several games with this mod and without. Sadly, it seams like most of the features from the mod, doesn't apply to the game anymore.

My theory is that the update fixed/changed/added AI behavior, which somehow negated the AI+ mod from working.

If the mod creator for this mod has no interest in Civ 6 anymore. Is there any mod creator out there who could shoulder the awesome work made by this mod, and create a new, with improved features for the AI?

Moderator Action: Last sentence removed as it is inappropriate. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2018
    oedali and RohirrimElf like this.
  7. Philip Wilson

Philip Wilson Chieftain

Hey, are you looking for help improving this mod?
    Let me know if thats the case.
    Thanks.

8. Infixo

Infixo Deity

I had one crash, but after a reload it was ok. I couldn't replicate it.

Another question however. It breaks the left panel (city details) in CQUI for me. Without the mod all is fine, with the mod - problem. Anlyone else has this problem?

9. schwarzpol

schwarzpol Chieftain

Will this mod be updated for gathering storm?

10. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

The creator might have been run over by a train. Noone knows. He has not shown up in many months.
    Which is a shame as AI mods are most valuable for civ 6 at this point.

oedali likes this.
  11. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Happy to announce I'm still alive!

And I intend to update it for the expansion, though it might take some time. I haven't played the game for ages, so I'll have to get used to the way the AI works now before I can even start seriously tweaking it.

12. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

Glad your back!! Please focus on the AI producing obscene amounts of military units to present a challenge (except for dozens of supply convoys and MEngineers :))

13. oedali

oedali King

Yay welcome back!

My current impressions of the GS AI is that tactically it's in much better shape than it used to be a year or two ago. However, biggest weakness is that AI doesn't pursue victory conditions aggressively enough. It either does not commit to one or change its victory path too often or too late. When it does commit to something, it can be quite effective. I have seen the AI take cities effectively and play much smarter with its apostles in religious combat as well. In my current game, Japan went all in for RV quite early starting in Medieval era and converted all my cities and has my holy city surrounded. I am clinging to dear life to keep my last apostles alive to respark my religion and take revenge. My point is when it makes this strategic decision to go all-in it can play it well, but in majority of my (deity) games the AIs that found religions don't play aggressively and let me take out their religion and don't pose a challenge.

Same parallels in domination, scientific, cultural etc victories. The capability of the AI to be competitive seems to be buried somewhere in the code or decision trees, but the AIs don't choose that path most of the time and just tend to 'float'.

14. Siesta Guru

Siesta Guru Prince

Thanks for your analysis, that's an area I can at least do something in, so I'll look out for that. Have you had any other observations?

How does everyone else feel about this? I've heard some mixed messages when it comes to AI unit production before. Some like the extra challenge, some think it interrupts their peaceful games too much, some correctly observe that it can make peaceful victories harder (except when an AI succeeds and conquers another)

15. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

In the current state on Deity I have to use a mod called “Fortified AI” to even present a challenge. The AI has lost a chromosome or two since Civ 6 was released when it comes to war but I have yet to lose any of my cities soon as walls go up, even on Deity.

I think if the AI has enough units it would be capable of taking other civs cities based on what I’ve seen in testing GS.

AI’s with 10x the military score of a humans army (Deity) would at least be an interesting challenge. In its current state, even being outnumbered 4x or 5x isn’t unmanageable.

I am actually quite surprised how effectly the current AI can levy troops from other CS in the game (at least for defense). It’s the only time they are an actual challenge.

16. V. Soma

Glad to see you're still alive... :) I'll be here around...

17. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

Okay I’ve played a couple of games after I changed two things:

1) yields.xml: changed standing army, combat units, naval units, air units, increased all of those slightly and found Immortal & Deity AI builds a crap ton of units. As an example on turn 125 I had 350 military strength, all the other AI’s ranged from 1200-2400.

2) buildings & tech xml: changed the strength of walls to almost nothing. From 100 value to 1 for walls, castle, star fort & urban defended.

What I’ve noticed: I was able to one city from AI only because I involved two other AI’s in the war. If their siege units would attack my melee or ranged there is no chance I would have been able to.

I did lose a couple units and had to peace out after I got the city as they made peace with the other civs and were bringing their army toward me. If they had access to horses I probably wouldn’t have been able to pull it off.

The one thing I’m concerned about in GS is that the AI’s are way too friendly toward the human player. Not sure if it’s the new grievances system or what, but at turn 125 I had all but one as a declared friend. This is concerning as the AI just doesn’t seem to want to declare war.

I have autoplayed quite a few games now with these settings and AI will take cities if it wants to. It’s not like Hiawatha in Civ 5 just steamrolling everything in its path but in general if they go to war with the intent of taking a city, they do it.

I think AI+ going forward has to make the AI’s tougher to get along with so they will actually declare war on you past the ancient era, I’m not sure if that’s even adjustable. I looked in the diplomacy actions file and have thought about changing some values in there but I can’t find a file where they have grievances values.

oedali likes this.
  18. Engeez

Engeez Chieftain

Oh and also, even though I changed those military values, the AI still built districts, wonders, settlers and builders.

19. oedali

oedali King

I fully agree with the diplomacy points and that it's too easy to get along. I have noticed some distinct behavior there that can hopefully be changed to make it more challenging:

- As soon as an AI turns green / friendly, 99% of the time they will accept your friendship request immediately on that turn or next. If you have researched alliances, again 99% of the time they accept that as well. There seems to be a very low attitude threshold currently. e.g. at cumulative attitude 5 it turns friendly/green but accept friendship should be a much higher value like 50. Same to alliance. More turns need to be pass for friendships to 'ripen', right now it happens too fast. Interestingly though, this happens mostly between AI-human player. I see many AI-AI that are friendly to one another but don't declare formal friendship or alliance. So it favors the human player which is the opposite of what we want.

- Once you are in an alliance, you are basically "locked in" for the rest of the game. You can beat wipe out their religion, cause grievances, get a bunch of negative diplo modifiers. Say you have so many grievances that you have a net -40. This becomes irrelevant because as soon as the alliance expires and they are still friendly, at that very turn, 90% of the time you can go and re-declare friendship and alliance. AIs need to have some cool down or grace period after such agreements expire so their attitude value can adjust. My understanding is that the -8, +4 etc modifiers we see on the UI are the per turn change, and behind the scenes there is some hidden cumulative attitude value x. So during an alliance this x is locked at a high value like e.g. 50. Right after the alliance expires, even if you are supposed to get a -40 per turn, it doesn't matter because you can renew that very turn, before the values re-adjust.

- This one is rule-change need outside scope but will point out nevertheless: it is silly that you can declare friendships and alliances with everyone and even if the whole world is at war, you can stay "neutral" and not have to choose sides. In most games involving diplomacy, your allies or friends attacking one another would force you to choose sides - e.g. you either join war on one side and piss off the other, or cancel your alliance status with both and cause grievances to both. You shouldn't be allowed to stay neutral while still having an alliance pact.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  20. V. Soma