AIPerEraModifier is only for training, construction, creation, and supply?

justanediblefriend

Chieftain
Just to be make sure I'm reading this right from the wiki, AIPerEraModifier affects only four things having to do with military and production.

Is anyone aware of any way of applying this to research costs? The biggest obstacle in making the AI more human like is how far behind it falls in later eras in science. If it could start out the same as you, but get drastically faster each era as if it were sim citying as well as a human, that would be pretty huge.

I also found this thread on the topic. I'd appreciate being informed of if I'm reading the wiki right and if what I'm trying to do is possible. Thanks!

AI in my games definitely do not fall behind in science unless I'm also rushing a science victory on a strong science civ.

AI in my games definitely do not fall behind in science unless I'm also rushing a science victory on a strong science civ.

I think that's usually because of other bonuses that, for the purposes I described, can't exist.

Just to be make sure I'm reading this right from the wiki, AIPerEraModifier affects only four things having to do with military and production.

Is anyone aware of any way of applying this to research costs? The biggest obstacle in making the AI more human like is how far behind it falls in later eras in science. If it could start out the same as you, but get drastically faster each era as if it were sim citying as well as a human, that would be pretty huge.

I also found this thread on the topic. I'd appreciate being informed of if I'm reading the wiki right and if what I'm trying to do is possible. Thanks!

AI Per Era Modifier affects production cost and unit supply. It also used to affect growth (and does in vanilla BNW) but this was changed in the 4-20 version of VP.

It is certainly possible to make it apply to research costs (you'd need to check if it's an AI player and hook it up to the AI Per Era Modifier when calculating research costs, I think), but this would require modification of the game code (DLL).

Currently it receives a periodic Science yield bonus when certain conditions are met.

AI Per Era Modifier affects production cost and unit supply. It also used to affect growth (and does in vanilla BNW) but this was changed in the 4-20 version of VP.

It is certainly possible to make it apply to research costs (you'd need to check if it's an AI player and hook it up to the AI Per Era Modifier when calculating research costs, I think), but this would require modification of the game code (DLL).

Currently it receives a periodic Science yield bonus when certain conditions are met.

Thanks! I'm starting from scratch and know next to nothing, hopefully I can figure out how to do this by looking at some of the modding resources. Not sure what files I need to edit, but hopefully I can figure that out too. Knowing it's possible is fairly encouraging!

Thanks! I'm starting from scratch and know next to nothing, hopefully I can figure out how to do this by looking at some of the modding resources. Not sure what files I need to edit, but hopefully I can figure that out too. Knowing it's possible is fairly encouraging!

Just to make sure you're aware, you've posted this thread in a forum for a game overhaul mod called Vox Populi AKA the Community Patch Project, so any answers you get will probably assume you're using VP, whereas I get the impression from your messages that you're making your own mod from scratch. :)

In vanilla BNW, AI Per Era Modifier also affects Growth, and there is no periodic Science yield bonus.

Just to make sure you're aware, you've posted this thread in a forum for a game overhaul mod called Vox Populi AKA the Community Patch Project, so any answers you get will probably assume you're using VP, whereas I get the impression from your messages that you're making your own mod from scratch. :)

In vanilla BNW, AI Per Era Modifier also affects Growth, and there is no periodic Science yield bonus.

I thought people here might know more because I got all the information I did from people involved with the CPB e.g. the wiki and the post above from 2013. It looked like CPB devs have been messing with AIPerEraModifier, and no information anywhere else seemed to describe what it did at all.

So you are talking about vanilla Civ5?!?!

Why don't you play Vox Populi? It already does what you are proposing.

Technically speaking, VP has a periodic Science bonus triggered by the acquisition of cities and historic events.

What he wants is for the AI Per Era Modifier to affect Research costs as well as Production ones, which is not part of VP.

Technically speaking, VP has a periodic Science bonus triggered by the acquisition of cities and historic events.

What he wants is for the AI Per Era Modifier to affect Research costs as well as Production ones, which is not part of VP.
Oh, ok, I see, my bad then - the Science bonus per event is not part of CP, by the way, is it? Maybe it is close enough to what @justanediblefriend is trying to achieve = make AIs research faster as the game progresses. Don't know what Lekmod is, but I thought maybe it could be compatible / based on CP.

the Science bonus per event is not part of CP, by the way, is it?

The periodic yields/difficulty bonus are part of the CBP, not the CP. This is also the case for all other changes to difficulty.

I see, unfortunate VP doesn't do it. Even if the mod wouldn't work for my purposes, the message from @vyyt gave me some hope I could poke around and find what I needed in VP's files.

And yes, that description of what I want is correct (just confirming to ensure there's no doubt or miscommunication). Also, I guess it's kind of out of the way since it's to the left of my message, but I'm a woman and so go by 'she.'

Thanks for all the helpful information!

I see, unfortunate VP doesn't do it. Even if the mod wouldn't work for my purposes, the message from @vyyt gave me some hope I could poke around and find what I needed in VP's files.

And yes, that description of what I want is correct (just confirming to ensure there's no doubt or miscommunication). Also, I guess it's kind of out of the way since it's to the left of my message, but I'm a woman and so go by 'she.'

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Ah, sorry for the assumption, I do that without thinking sometimes.

Glad the information was of value to you!

Could someone help me understand which parameter controls science bonusses the AI get when entering a new era? I was messing around with some of the values, e.g. AIPerEraModifier, DifficultyBonusBase, DifficultyBonusA, -B and -C and now I've notoced an AI civ getting massive tech boosts (306 Science ) when entering the classical age. Problem is I don't really understand why.

I play on immortal and I generally lowered the values a bit (DifficultyBonusBase, DifficultyBonusA, -B and -C = 10, 280, 220,160). If I enter this into the formula on https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/AI_and_Difficulty#cite_note-7 I get a bonus og 68 for iera=1. Times by 3 this would be 204, not 306, so there must be something else affecting the bonus.

\Skodkim

Could someone help me understand which parameter controls science bonusses the AI get when entering a new era? I was messing around with some of the values, e.g. AIPerEraModifier, DifficultyBonusBase, DifficultyBonusA, -B and -C and now I've notoced an AI civ getting massive tech boosts (306 Science ) when entering the classical age. Problem is I don't really understand why.

I play on immortal and I generally lowered the values a bit (DifficultyBonusBase, DifficultyBonusA, -B and -C = 10, 280, 220,160). If I enter this into the formula on https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/AI_and_Difficulty#cite_note-7 I get a bonus og 68 for iera=1. Times by 3 this would be 204, not 306, so there must be something else affecting the bonus.

\Skodkim

iEra is the average era among all civs, for one. If you're on the latest version, post a bug report on Github...they may be getting more yields than intended.

EDIT: It scales with gamespeed. +50% on Epic. :)

@Recursive Will post a bug report if its relevant, but since I run a lot of mods my experience is that its rather hard to "debug" for you guys. None of the mods should affect tech/difficulty yields though exepct my own private one and thats only minor" value tweaks.

Just wanted to ask if this is normal behavior (see TechAILog_Medes.csv below) upon entering a new era (AI civ Medes entering Clasical Era)? For what it worth it's the first civ to enter the new era. Egypt was next apparently they get the same free yirlds (according to the logs) but still they dont even complete one entire tech (log says 4 turns to writing the next turn):
Spoiler :

086, Medes, TECH_WRITING, 1982
086, Medes, TECH_OPTICS, 1772
086, Medes, TECH_MATHEMATICS, 1087
086, Medes, TECH_IRON_WORKING, 781
086, Medes, TECH_CONSTRUCTION, 633
086, Medes, CHOSEN, TECH_WRITING, TURNS: 1
086, Medes, COMPLETED, TECH_WRITING
087, Medes, TECH_OPTICS, 1772
087, Medes, TECH_JFD_CODE_OF_LAWS, 1293
087, Medes, TECH_MATHEMATICS, 1087
087, Medes, TECH_IRON_WORKING, 781
087, Medes, TECH_CONSTRUCTION, 633
087, Medes, CHOSEN, TECH_OPTICS, TURNS: 1
087, Medes, COMPLETED, TECH_OPTICS
088, Medes, TECH_JFD_CODE_OF_LAWS, 1293
088, Medes, TECH_MATHEMATICS, 1087
088, Medes, TECH_IRON_WORKING, 781
088, Medes, TECH_CONSTRUCTION, 633
088, Medes, CHOSEN, TECH_JFD_CODE_OF_LAWS, TURNS: 1
088, Medes, ECONOMICAISTRATEGY_REALLY_EXPAND_TO_OTHER_CONTINENTS, 1
088, Medes, Flavor, FLAVOR_EXPANSION, 107
088, Medes, Flavor, FLAVOR_WATER_CONNECTION, 3
088, Medes, COMPLETED, TECH_JFD_CODE_OF_LAWS
089, Medes, TECH_DRAMA, 1456
089, Medes, TECH_MATHEMATICS, 1089
089, Medes, TECH_IRON_WORKING, 794
089, Medes, TECH_CONSTRUCTION, 641
089, Medes, CHOSEN, TECH_DRAMA, TURNS: 1
089, Medes, COMPLETED, TECH_DRAMA

I've also tried removing Writing from them the turn after they get it by using IGE, but the next turn they get it again...

Is there anything else I can do to track this down?

Edit: Actually Medes continued the snowballing and completed the entire Classical era in as many turns as there are techs - one tech per turn...

\Skodkim

Last edited:
Top Bottom