Alexanders' Conquests Testing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I don't know which files you are talking about changing.
2) Before we start individually editing the mod on our own, wouldn't it be better to let Keroro make changes and distribute patches? Otherwise how will we know we are all playing and testing a consistent version.

It's just the text filesxfor the unit .ini's- so they work! It doesn't alter the gameplay one bit!
I thought it might be the .ini files.

But I think you missed the point I was trying to make in (2) above.

First of all, the moment we start editing any files in the mod without explicit direction from the creator (in this case Keroro) we have already created a difference between the code we are playing and what he has downloaded for us to play. It's also different from the master set he is working from. Differences tend to proliferate and versions to diverge. I was invited to play-test, not to adapt his mod to what I think it should be.

Secondly, to use this specific case, there is a conflict between the sound files the .ini's are looking for and the actual name of the sound files available. Your solution is to edit each individual ini. I, on the other hand, would be inclined to make one copy of the .wav in question, and rename it to match what the .ini's expect. That way I've only dealt with one change to one file.

Already our solutions diverge, and if we pursue this way of solving bugs, when we encounter further glitches what works for you may not work for me. Furthermore, Keroro may simply have forgotten to include sound files that he wanted to use, that differ from the standard ones. If he updates/patches, and we have each changed our versions in a different way, we either create extra work for everybody, if we all remember what we did, or else we will run into glitches for which the source is difficult to isolate.

This specific example is a simple case. It may seem like a pain to wait until Keroro decides how to fix it. Strongly disciplined protocols now will save numerous headaches further down the road. If you don't believe me, talk to anyone who has been part of a complex development process. At each level, there needs to be one locus of decision-making authority. That locus can be a committee; but in this case Keroro is the authority.

I must be slow; it took me few minutes to figure out that this means
The Beta is posted for download in post #2.
:lol: Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Sorry.
Downloaded fine for me. Everyone note: the "AC v 1 00" is buried in a "V 0 8" folder and needs to be moved out in order for the biq to find it.

Edit: That last may be an artifact of Zip Genius. You may get the folder out in the open.
A little strange, I tried an install on my system at home before I left, and it extracted as I expected. It could be Zip Genius that does it - I haven't tried that program myself. Anyway - to reiterate - the 'AC v 1 00' should be in the scenarios folder, move it manually if need be.
Found a bug strait away *gasp* Sogdiana's leaderhead is a cross between Medieval Sumeria guy, and Modern Sumeria guy!
Not sure what you mean there, but I think that Sogdiana was a LH that I'm planning to replace when Rob releases Anno Domini 2. I'll do the same with some of the Greek LHs too ( I know that some of them use the same graphics for the moment).
Bad News:

No .WAVs, can't start the scenario. There's no sound files at all in the folders I've checked.
I can't explain that one - I've never had the problem when I do my personal tests. I'll try reinstalling Civ 3 when I return home and see if I've maybe got a corrupted swordman file in my main civ install.
@Blue: I kept getting that error. I think it's a difference between civ versions. What I did was manually change all the units that used the swordsman fortify.wav, and put a space between "fortify" and ".wav". that seemed to work.
1) I don't know which files you are talking about changing.
2) Before we start individually editing the mod on our own, wouldn't it be better to let Keroro make changes and distribute patches? Otherwise how will we know we are all playing and testing a consistent version.
The files that need changing are in scenarios/AC v 1 00/Art/Units/ Go into the folder for the unit that is giving the error and open the xxxx.ini file with a text editor. You should be able to change the sounds there as V_C suggests. IIRC there was some kind of misnaming with the sound files for the swordman in the original Civ 3 that was not corrected for PTW or Conquests. If you're using the Apple or Complete versions then maybe it is different. Or maybe I messed up. ;) I'll do some tests when I get home after Christmas.

It's just the text filesxfor the unit .ini's- so they work! It doesn't alter the gameplay one bit!
I thought it might be the .ini files.

But I think you missed the point I was trying to make in (2) above.

First of all, the moment we start editing any files in the mod without explicit direction from the creator (in this case Keroro) we have already created a difference between the code we are playing and what he has downloaded for us to play. It's also different from the master set he is working from. Differences tend to proliferate and versions to diverge. I was invited to play-test, not to adapt his mod to what I think it should be.

Secondly, to use this specific case, there is a conflict between the sound files the .ini's are looking for and the actual name of the sound files available. Your solution is to edit each individual ini. I, on the other hand, would be inclined to make one copy of the .wav in question, and rename it to match what the .ini's expect. That way I've only dealt with one change to one file.

Already our solutions diverge, and if we pursue this way of solving bugs, when we encounter further glitches what works for you may not work for me. Furthermore, Keroro may simply have forgotten to include sound files that he wanted to use, that differ from the standard ones. If he updates/patches, and we have each changed our versions in a different way, we either create extra work for everybody, if we all remember what we did, or else we will run into glitches for which the source is difficult to isolate.

This specific example is a simple case. It may seem like a pain to wait until Keroro decides how to fix it. Strongly disciplined protocols now will save numerous headaches further down the road. If you don't believe me, talk to anyone who has been part of a complex development process. At each level, there needs to be one locus of decision-making authority. That locus can be a committee; but in this case Keroro is the authority.
You're both right in different ways. For now the solution I would recommend is to go into the .ini and delete the sound for fortify - so that there is no sound at all. I know that I need to go through the sounds thoroughly before a proper release. BTW - to help me solve this problem would you both be able to upload a copy of your original swordman .ini file here - I'll see if it varies to my own. Cheers guys.

Blue - that's the first time I've been referred to as an authority. :lol: I might put that in my sig.

Here's a zipped version of the Swordsman.ini from my Windows install of Civ3 Complete. Note that for purposes of this playtest I'm playing on my PC. Further down the road, when things are running smoothly, I'll also test for you on my Mac. That wouldn't be prudent until the mod is running well for all of us, because the Mac introduces path search issues of its own.

I already see by editing, starting the game, getting an error, exiting, editing, starting, etc. that we're talking about more than two units. How many units use the swordsman sounds? Can you give me a list of all of them? If we are going to edit the fortify sound line are we going to have to edit others as well?

I'm downloading the file now. If I find anything, I will type it down and post it.

I know that the SwordmanFortify.wav is actually SwordmanFortify .wav (note the space ;)). It may be different between our versions.

One thing to note: The vanilla swordsman.ini does not have the space. the PTW .ini (the most recent) does.

Hmm, this is a rather frustrating start to the testing process (for all of us). The swordman Fortify sound is used for a large number of units, and it would take some time to go through all of the .ini files to change them. V_C - did you get the game working after making the changes you talked about in post 31? If so then it might only be a mistake in a few of the units.

I can't work out why I would be able to play the game on my computer at home but you can't on yours. I'm still not going to be home for another two days so I can't do too much to help out, so if you can't fix the game easily then take a break for a while and I'll get a clean install on my computer and release a patch. My best bet is that there is a versons conflict between my version of Conquests and the version that you all are using.

V_C - play on debug if you can, it should let you keep an eye on what stupid things the AI might do. Make sure you hit caps lock on the AI turn though, that'll speed things up a bit. Also, I should have noted that you should play the game as Alexandria, and starting from turn 2 you should be researching the tech line that starts with The Battle of Granicus. Keep your tech speed to 8 turns per tech whenever possible.

Erm... when it comes to the AI turn, use Caps Lock, or read a very long book :p

Also, you have to manually remember where you have explored, because the whole of the map "looks" visible, but in reality, it may not be. The same goes for new civs.

I'm back. I hope that everyone had a really good holiday, and got all the presents that you wished for / deserved (whichever is the greater number).

Right, I don't know what the heck is going on with the sound files for the swordsman fortify, but I did just find that my install of Conquests includes a folder in Units with both the swordmanFortify.wav AND the swordmanFortify .wav (with space) files within. I will take this as the staring point for the fix. If you open the zip below and extract it to either the 'Civilization 3/Conquests' folder or the 'AC v 1 00' folder it should create a folder '/Art/Units/Swordsman' with two files in it. I believe (hope :mischief:) that this will fix the problem. Please, someone report back if it doesn't.

I can only guess that this is a difference between the Complete version and the individual Civ 3 + PTW + Conquests setup that I have. Blue - are you using the Complete version?

I will be updating the Civilopedia.txt file tomorrow to include more details on the buildings, many of which changed since I wrote the original text. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• Swordsman.zip
    44.2 KB · Views: 157
:santa2: Merry Christmas, Keroro!
If you open the zip below and extract it to either the 'Civilization 3/Conquests' folder or the 'AC v 1 00' folder it should create a folder '/Art/Units/Swordsman' with two files in it. I believe (hope :mischief:) that this will fix the problem. Please, someone report back if it doesn't.
Good News! DLed about an hour ago. Installed in the path ..\AC v 1 00\Art\Units\Swordsman and it works. Proof:

Bad News (Minor): You've Got Typos!

I can only guess that this is a difference between the Complete version and the individual Civ 3 + PTW + Conquests setup that I have. Blue - are you using the Complete version?
I'm using Complete, version shows as 1.22 on title screen.

I will be updating the Civilopedia.txt file tomorrow to include more details on the buildings, many of which changed since I wrote the original text. Stay tuned.
I notice that you've got ampitheater and theater for identical costs, but there's a bit of a difference in the strength of their effects.

Right now my playing is exploratory only - trying to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the units, how to recognize the companions, what the resources are, etc. Look forward to hearing from you any specific goals you have for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom