All abord the nonsence train

Because it doesn't have a one man army like Rambo inside. It is ridiculous, a heli should be able to take a city. Air cavalry is used to land troops and create a perimeter.

The helicopter in the game is more representative of an apache attack helicopter, that's why it has a bonus against armor. Attack helicopters don't land troops, personal transport helicopters do.

The closest thing to air cavalry in the game is a paratrooper. And both paratroopers and air cavalry are basically foot soilders once on the ground, the only difference is how they are inserted into the battlefield.

The same argument for helicopters could be made for ranged units. If the city health is down to zero and there is no unit in the city, why can't an archer or artillery just walk right in and take it? I find this much more irritating than not being able to take cities with helicopters.

I'm not sure but I sorta remember an mod in civ 4 where attack helicopter could take over cities. Several nations vanished overnight to me.

Its more of an gameplay reason why helicopters can't take over cities, they can attack them but the killing blow must be delivered by an ground unit.

I suppose what the unit represents is it air cav supported by gunships? I suppose in this case that is not so. Anyway no big deal, just take it with a melee unit.

The info isn't correct. I've done so. Maybe its a difference between the steam (which I have) and disc versions of civ 4.

Sounds like you have everything including expack. Maybe they patched that in with BtS...?

Anyways, I always figured paras were to be air cav - being able to drop in front a city and block that road from enemy movement while you get time to setup all that heavy duty stuff a little further behind, thus in effect creating a perimeter backed by massive firepower. Helis would be much more useful if they could cross waters without having to embark - I've seen the AI use similar (and much more powerful - think Flying Panzers) to devastating effect on advancing forces and rear lines, so it would be a big help for them.

The info isn't correct. I've done so. Maybe its a difference between the steam (which I have) and disc versions of civ 4.

Incorrect, the info is correct. The Civ4 BtS 3.19 gunship has as only unit bNoCapture set to 1, making it unable to capture cities.

Okay it went like this... It was a hot afternoon, Russian helicopters were coming toward Akkad Babylon. They saw this and tried to defend with infantry. It failed as the helicopter killed the last enemy and took the city... In normal terms I Dowed Babylon and took Akkad with a helicopter.

Okay it went like this... It was a hot afternoon, Russian helicopters were coming toward Akkad Babylon. They saw this and tried to defend with infantry. It failed as the helicopter killed the last enemy and took the city... In normal terms I Dowed Babylon and took Akkad with a helicopter.

Reality: the Babylonian infantry stayed well concealed within the warren-like alleys and buildings of the massive city, easily picking off the buzzing helicopters whenever they got close enough for their standard portable anti-aircraft weapons to hit (heavy machine guns, light AA multi-cannon, RPGs, shoulder-fired heat seeking missiles, etc.). Helicopters cannot take a city from any organized ground defenders of a similar technological level. It's hard enough to pry infantry defenders out of an urban cityscape with tanks and assault troops- the defenders would just laugh at helicopters.

Reality: the Babylonian infantry stayed well concealed within the warren-like alleys and buildings of the massive city, easily picking off the buzzing helicopters whenever they got close enough for their standard portable anti-aircraft weapons to hit (heavy machine guns, light AA multi-cannon, RPGs, shoulder-fired heat seeking missiles, etc.). Helicopters cannot take a city from any organized ground defenders of a similar technological level. It's hard enough to pry infantry defenders out of an urban cityscape with tanks and assault troops- the defenders would just laugh at helicopters.

Well it was more like musketmen in his city.

Top Bottom