1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

November? I'd say October is still a possibility.

Sherlock likes this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

As I’ve said, I remain positive.

There are some big gaps in the game that, the more I look at them, look deliberate. I think RnF and the next expansion were planned in parallel. RnF was phase 1. Now they’re hunkered down on phase 2. The big push to get the last patch out just confirms that for me.

RnF has some stuff which I think is “beta” for the next expansion. And I imagine they’ve also deliberately held back some ideas, either so other systems could be bedded down or so they had really cool stuff for the last expansion. World Congress is an obvious example.

My guess: there will be “new stuff”, but I’d be pretty shocked if FXS don’t also flesh out and expand some existing mechanics from both Vanilla and RnF. Envoys, Governments, IZ and T3 buildings, Loyalty all look pretty ripe for more. They also seem to tweak Religion and Faith any chance they get. And of course, World Congress and Diplomacy.

The things they maybe won’t touch seem like Governors, Government Plaza and Traders. The first two feel “complete”, and the third is thoroughly baked in post Alliances. I can’t see the actual government tiers changing.

Spies might get another look. Maybe Legacies. No ideas beyond that.

I wouldn’t worry about Civ VI becoming vaporware (and I assume no one is, people are only saying that to be amusing).

But I’m not sure we’ll get much beyond the next expansion. I hope I’m wrong on that point. I’d really like to see a bunch of dlc fleshing out or expanding specific parts of the game. Or maybe some plus-sized scenarios.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  3. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

We're already at essentially August. If you assume that the dev team and other "key staff" are still cycling through vacation time, meaning not everyone is back round-the-clock yet they may be working on early elements and tracking down some bugs (for example, looking to see if they can see where in the code it might be happening) but it's not "crunch time" yet. In addition, you don't have the depots set up at all, which means that the QA team isn't assigned to your project full pace yet.

Once we start seeing the semi-frequent updates that usually starts a 60 day countdown, so even if they started the semi-frequent inside of the next two weeks (which would mean that Sarah would have to be like HEY GUISE WE'RE WORKING ON THE FALL PATCH!!111!! next week) we'd still be looking at late October at the earliest.

I'll stand by November. *IF* we get a fall patch, we may very well not get one till winter 2019 with teasers of the hypothetical XP2,

Remember, the Spring/Early Summer Patch was shockingly delayed specifically to be VERY CONSPICUOUSLY polished.

RohirrimElf, WillowBrook, tzu and 2 others like this.
  4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Exactly - October is still possible. Maybe we have different understandings of the word "guarantee" but I interpretted it to mean that you didn't think it was possible that there would be a patch before November.

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Well, there's your summer patch, lol. Red Shell out and cross-platform in, finally.

6. Brianstorm

Brianstorm Warlord

GIVE ME MORE LEADERS!!!

Maybe this Egyptian Sarcophagus find will lead them to making Alex a leader of the Greeks lol

7. GandhisRevenge

GandhisRevenge Chieftain

Not what I was hoping, but at least it shows they havent abandoned the game. I'm glad I was wrong!.

RohirrimElf and acluewithout like this.
  8. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Did not see x-plat coming. Interesting.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I didn't either. Aspyr was completely silent about it coming soon. Perfect opsec.

Duuk likes this.
  10. graffen69

graffen69 Chieftain

Yup the crucial part on the latest patch notes on Steam was this:

"Firaxis Games and 2K are committed to making Civilization VI the best experience possible and will continue to support the title".

So there you have it.
    Huzza!

Leathaface likes this.
  11. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf King

"Firaxis Games and 2K are committed to making Civilization VI the best experience possible and will continue to support the title".

This line might be something we could discuss. Best experience like in creating a better gaming experience then civ4. The best civ game in the series. And to me personally the best game ever developed for pc.

If so, i dont think firaxis could make it in 3 years of development. Promised by Ed Beach. If they could push out 2 new expansions for civ 6. They would need to update so many half baked systems to perfection. Sure hope firaxis can do it do.

Air combat, naval combat, emergencies, overall balance etc etc. I dont think i need to write down the whole list

12. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

What teasers?

13. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

... it’s going to be a long wait till the next expansion, isn’t it...?

Sigh.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  14. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Well with Civ V Brave New World came out 13 months after Gods & Kings, so if the second expansion comes out in March 2019 (13 months after R&F) then there is roughly 8 months left to go, not long at all IMO.

Plus we'd have the announcement a couple of months before hand and the Civ reveals.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  15. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf King

If firaxis is smart they would release the next expansion in 2018. A lot of big titles are planned for first quarter 2019. Still think it would take another 6 months till expansion is released. Announcement in 3-4 months

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Given the lack of signs that they're working on anything, I'm not sure I'd want it to come out this year, afraid it would be rushed and buggy.

17. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I've heard people on here speculate about a THIRD expansion being released. Now that'd be awesome.

18. Rotomagus

Rotomagus Chieftain

nothing will come. Fixis had to admit to another failure. The 4rth after civ2.

19. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

The question, as ever - when do we stop supporting this existing product and instead start developing the next project?

I'd love to see something like 'Colonization'. Not just like that necessarily, just some 'different' game that would be in addition to, not a replacement of CIVI.

20. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Agreed. Vanilla was so good. RnF felt undercooked. I’d rather they take their time and get the next (possibly final) expansion right.

I’d rather things like this be either a plus size scenario using Civ VI’s engine (once Civ VI is ‘complete’) or a smaller ‘expansion’ a bit like the more chunky expansions / dlc EU VI has. Basically, I don’t really want to learn how to play a new game - I’d rather content that takes the existing game in new directions.

In particular, if the next expansion does just focus on world congress and diplomacy, late game and (hopefully) balancing, then what Is really like to see after that are some mini-expansions, one focusing on colonization, and another focusing on near future / utopia / dystopia, and another focusing on naval and military.

conorbebe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.