1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

Now I imagine if a total of x nukes were detonated, the game should end and everybody loses.

But then again, AI civ does not usually use a nuke, no?

2. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Just some context on when we might see another patch this Fall. Last year the Summer 2017 Update went live on July 27th and was followed by the Fall 2017 Update that dropped on October 19th - 85 days or about 3 months. This year the Cross-Platform Update happened on July 19th. If FXS follows a similar pattern we could definitely see a new patch by mid-October. And then another 3~4 months before the next expansion.

Now whether we will actually get another patch this year I suppose is debatable, but I highly doubt FXS would let too much time pass before another update. They need to keep interest and enthusiasm going while working on the next expansion, and their social media posts every few days alone are not going to do that.

Personally, though, I'd prefer not getting another update for awhile. I like to take a break from gaming over the summer and it gives me time to work on my mods without worrying too much about a patch breaking them.

3. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

If the next patch reaches us in Oktober. I would be interested to know how firaxes would get us entertained on civ 6. Every time a civ 6 tweet gets unleached on us i’m all excited for a full second. After that is a short realisation phase when i realise it is a filler post (2 seconds). After that i’m more depressed then before i saw the twitter tease.

Paradox releases a new expansion of EU4 5 years after announcement in about 2 civ 6 patches. With a smaller but meaningfull patch inbetween. PR gets me hyped about every week. With devs that talk to the community. Not caring about NDA.

If only firaxis was 10% as exciting as paradox about its PR.

*goes back to playing Europa Universalis 4. Hoping civilization takes over in near future*

WorldWarIV, Kimiimaro and Sherlock like this.
  4. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

No. FXS is ditching creating an entirely new game.
    This is simply where their resources are currently spent.
    Also an answer why they polished the previous patch real shiny.
    Sorry folks, but probably Civilization is no longer a priority right now.

Source: https://pcgamesn.com/firaxis-new-game?amp

5. Laurana Kanan

Quoting the only accurate part of your post based on that article. :mischief:

DWilson and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

I'm just trying to put a logical reason why a lot of people in this forum wonders about how polished the previous patch or how quiet is it now.

7. Laurana Kanan

Your reasoning seems speculative without any factual basis. And I still don't understand why people think it's "quiet" right now. It's only been 2 1/2 months since the last major gameplay patch, less than a week since the long-anticipated implementation of cross-platform functionality, and there was a Civ VI social media post from FXS less than a day ago. Perhaps we should be patient and wait 'til late August/early September to see if there are any new depot updates before assuming the sky is falling. :shifty:

8. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Maybe they're working on a new Beyond Earth or other spin off based on the current engine? I don't think that would actually be bad news for the base game.

I'd also be pretty amazed how much work has be done on Civ VI so far that they don't keep developing it. It's such a solid game, I would have thought adding in smaller stuff after the next expansion would be relatively easy, fairly profitable and a pretty good result for players.

9. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

If that is true, the question would be whether they would allocate a separate, dedicated team for that new game, or will they pool the XCOM and Civ resources? If the latter, then definitely it will put a stall for both XCOM and Civ roadmaps (if any).

Still hoping for more for Civ6. Ottoman-Byzantine and Inca fans won't be pleased if Civ6 stops in R&F.

10. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

But reading their angry reactions (mostly the Ottoman ones) when they'll learn that Civ VI won't have them in might be fun :mischief:

Leyrann, sonicmyst and RohirrimElf like this.
  11. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

It'll be something like 'world of tanks' with microtransactions and 'game as a service'. They want some of that money.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

So, over the last month there have been 2 light qa updates. I mentioned the first one last month. The second one was when I was on vacation during the second week of July.

I had thought they probably were for the cross-platform multiplayer/red shell hotfix last week.

But lo, there was another this morning. Something is simmering on the back burner.

Kjimmet, Leathaface, CPWimmer and 5 others like this.
  13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The prophet returns! Let the baseless speculation begin! :D

CPWimmer and Kimiimaro like this.
  14. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

Light qa updates = patch, not DLC?

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They only have changes for the base game and R&F depots, no DLC.

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

If I'm interpreting the steamdb correctly, it appears that one of the usual test branches was updated, consistent with a patch. I believe a DLC or expansion would involve a new depot, and that we have not seen a new depot.

17. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Remember they've admitted they're working on rolling out Linux xplat mp. So I would expect a few qa updates over the next week or two until that gets rolled out.

Nothing to see here, move along.

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Doomsayers: Firaxis has abandoned Civ VI!
    Various people: The last patch was only a month ago.
    EP: There have been some QA updates.
    Firaxis: Here, cross-platform multiplayer and we took out Red Shell. Also, we're still working on Civ VI.
    EP: There have been more QA updates.

tedhebert, Benzombie, tzu and 8 others like this.
  19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

After reading that article, it does kind of seem Civ6 is on hold. At least for now. Seems 2k really wants to get another game out ASAP. Probably so they can get some income coming in. Most likely something with microtransactions to keep a relatively steady cash flow coming in. Far too soon to say Civ6 is dead, but this other game may actually take priority for now.

20. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

It hasn't even been half a year since Rise & Fall released. It's far too early to expect even a whiff of a new expansion. We're not guaranteed (unfortunately) to see more DLC. There's been movement from Firaxis, both behind the scenes and on social media. The game is definitely not dead, but keep your expectations low for the time being.

Leyrann, DWilson and WillowBrook like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.