All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
frankenstein branch just got axed. It hadn't been touched since last November.
That strikes me as... odd. Why would it disappear? Unless they wanted to nuke it completely because of possible visibility/account permissions based on the old closed beta team.

Which makes me think that Vesuvius might be further along than we suspect if they're about to create a new closed testing build that requires a new test group and they need to be confident of who has access to it.

Or, of course, they could be scrapping the whole thing and moving on to Civ7, because Civ6 is abandonware. Because doooooooom.

Wait... what if the leak is from a spin off game? BUM BUM BUM!

Frankenstein is a monster. Today is Halloween. On Halloween, people dress in different costumes, monsters included. Mummy is also a possible costume. We know mummies mainly from Egypt. Second Egyptian leader confirmed? :think:

Moderator Action: Please beware as we are getting a bit too spammy here. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Samoans and Tongans deserve representation in Civ over the Maori because they are less mixed? :p I know their cultures are older than the Maori, but....
Still, the leaked leader doesn't look like a T'ui Tonga ruler, any Samoan ruler I've seen depictions of, or a Hawaiian ruler. I still keep going back to Hongi Hika. :think:

With the Maori, Firaxis can have a Polynesian Civ, and not have to add a post-colonial New Zealand Civ. :p

LMFAO imagine

[Sarah]: "Hongi Hika leads New Zealand in Sid Meier's Civilization VI On Stranger Tides." *screenshot of Wellington being the capital*

At least half of this board would melt away like the Nazis from Raider of the Lost Arc. :lol:

Wait... what if the leak is from a spin off game?

Well it does have Civ6 art style, I think we're safe... for now.

With the Maori, Firaxis can have a Polynesian Civ, and not have to add a post-colonial New Zealand Civ.
Now @Zaarin can play with a Civ from Oceania.
Frankenstein is a monster
Hate to be the guy but Frankenstein was the scientist/doctor who created the creature.:p

Also I've been thinking: Vesuvius is in Italy, Italy has Venice, Venice has canals. So I guess canals are confirmed.

Now @Zaarin can play with a Civ from Oceania.

Also I've been thinking: Vesuvius is in Italy, Italy has Venice, Venice has canals. So I guess canals are confirmed.

I've been thinking too that we could be getting a canal district.

I've also speculated that could we have a Venice with an unique canal district with different placement rules or tourism bonus etc.
Or would it be silly, like did they build them outside the city of Venice, don't know..

But with the missing italian city-states (Civ 5 had like four of them) I think we are getting Italy or some italian city-state anyways.

Maybe Norway's ability should be that their Galleys and Quadriremes can enter ocean tiles, but need to end their turn in a Coast tile (similar to Triremes in Civ 1)
IIRC Triremes in civ1 were able to cross entire oceans, but had every turn end a 50:50 chance to be lost on ocean tiles, while being save on coast tiles.
I'm aware, that nowadays such huge risks or even real losses are unacceptable, unfair & wicked to the player ... :p
Ok, but the Norwegians being able to sail all over the world during the Classical Era makes little sense to me. :dunno:
In civ4 I modified in the running game the map along with 'COMPASS'||'METAL_CASTING' in order to have an extra level of naval exploration: changed every 'Ocean' tile adjacent to a 'Coast' tile into a 'Coast' tile.
I loved it to have a second exploration phase with triremes/galleys in a "Broader Coast Line" before the arrival of caravels (able to cross the deep ocean) ...

Though I suppose in civ6 something similar will be problematic, because of "narrower" oceans now?!

Why would Polynesia/Maori steal thunder from the Mapuche? :confused: The Mapuche aren't a naval based Civ.

I think Norway shouldn't have gotten the early sailing into deep ocean ability. They were always sailing relatively close to the coast (Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland), not crossing over the Atlantic Ocean without making landfall.

As someone pointed out, the Maori weren't a naval civ - they were a warrior society best-known for their initially hostile interactions with European colonists. Very similar in that respect to the Mapuche or the Zulu.

Could someone please summarize for me what's new? I've been out for a month and just came back.

The last thing I read is something about a hidden test update with a strange name which meant some weird expression in american english.

Hate to be the guy but Frankenstein was the scientist/doctor who created the creature.:p

Using Frankenstein for the name of the monster is not exactly incorrect though. While never formally given a name, the monster does understand that Victor Frankenstein is both his creator and his father (for those who have never read the book the monster is both fluent and extremely eloquent with languages, not at all the hulking grunting one depicted in popular culture). As the name passes with the father, then, at least to the monster himself, his family name would be Frankenstein. It is simply Victor's arrogance that does not allow him to recognize the "monster" as a living being which is why he is never officially named at all (the hubris thing is kinda the point of the story).

I asked a Maori friend to look at the leaked picture of the Polynesian leader. She reckoned the cloak is Kurī hair (Polynesian dog). From the Museum of New Zealand, they also say the cloaks were the war cloaks of chiefs, so this fits a Maori leader. Although she did say it could be any other Polynesian culture with dog hair cloaks (The Kurī spread all over Polynesia).

The dog is extinct now, but you can read more about it and the cloaks here:
https://teara.govt.nz/en/kuri-polyn...ICHOIouPRjgbFzPL1Cg81Nb_h7OMqKIHOBsH_-43s0G_A
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/...wdVJgEZSVhTF8N6R_PvI3ilXwL9amO4ok5-wokCXts7wI

I asked a Maori friend to look at the leaked picture of the Polynesian leader. She reckoned the cloak is Kurī hair (Polynesian dog). From the Museum of New Zealand, they also say the cloaks were the war cloaks of chiefs, so this fits a Maori leader. Although she did say it could be any other Polynesian culture with dog hair cloaks (The Kurī spread all over Polynesia).

The dog is extinct now, but you can read more about it and the cloaks here:
https://teara.govt.nz/en/kuri-polyn...ICHOIouPRjgbFzPL1Cg81Nb_h7OMqKIHOBsH_-43s0G_A
https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/...wdVJgEZSVhTF8N6R_PvI3ilXwL9amO4ok5-wokCXts7wI
Right, the items he is wearing are really not specific to the Maori people, they were worn all over. Which is why I think the more telling items would be the symbols on the clothing. I am not sure what exactly the necklace is, but he does appear to have either swords (which are a symbol of the Tongan kings) or, and the more I look at it the more I think it is this, Kapu sticks (symbols of the ancient Hawai'i kings).

Could someone please summarize for me what's new? I've been out for a month and just came back.

The last thing I read is something about a hidden test update with a strange name which meant some weird expression in american english.
They're updating the usual 2kqa test branches pretty regularly for over a month now, including an unknown DLC. This unknown DLC is probably the second expansion. Other branches are being updated as well.

A couple of days ago someone posted several pictures on an unnameable site (Reddit then picked it up) that were alleged to be concept art for the second expansion code named Vesuvius to be released Feb 14. They depict a Polynesian-looking man and some water-based improvements. They look like pictures tacked to a wall photographed with a phone camera.

I don't have a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom