1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

That strikes me as... odd. Why would it disappear? Unless they wanted to nuke it completely because of possible visibility/account permissions based on the old closed beta team.

Which makes me think that Vesuvius might be further along than we suspect if they're about to create a new closed testing build that requires a new test group and they need to be confident of who has access to it.

Or, of course, they could be scrapping the whole thing and moving on to Civ7, because Civ6 is abandonware. Because doooooooom.

Wait... what if the leak is from a spin off game? BUM BUM BUM!

Kimiimaro, Guandao and ChocolateShake like this.
  2. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Where can you see that? The branch is not listed in the list of branches below the list depots.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Try the Configuration tab.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Moderator Action: Please beware as we are getting a bit too spammy here. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2018
  5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

LMFAO imagine

[Sarah]: "Hongi Hika leads New Zealand in Sid Meier's Civilization VI On Stranger Tides." *screenshot of Wellington being the capital*

At least half of this board would melt away like the Nazis from Raider of the Lost Arc. :lol:

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Ah, there it is. Thanks. The executable, though, is the same as for the portcullis launch option, so it seems they don't have a separate branch for them to test (for now. Maybe. If I'm understanding things correctly.)

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Well it does have Civ6 art style, I think we're safe... for now.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Now @Zaarin can play with a Civ from Oceania.
    Hate to be the guy but Frankenstein was the scientist/doctor who created the creature.:p

Also I've been thinking: Vesuvius is in Italy, Italy has Venice, Venice has canals. So I guess canals are confirmed.

Kjimmet, Leyrann, nzcamel and 10 others like this.
  9. Haig

Haig Deity

I've been thinking too that we could be getting a canal district.

I've also speculated that could we have a Venice with an unique canal district with different placement rules or tourism bonus etc.
    Or would it be silly, like did they build them outside the city of Venice, don't know..

But with the missing italian city-states (Civ 5 had like four of them) I think we are getting Italy or some italian city-state anyways.

nzcamel and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  10. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

IIRC Triremes in civ1 were able to cross entire oceans, but had every turn end a 50:50 chance to be lost on ocean tiles, while being save on coast tiles.
    I'm aware, that nowadays such huge risks or even real losses are unacceptable, unfair & wicked to the player ... :p
    In civ4 I modified in the running game the map along with 'COMPASS'||'METAL_CASTING' in order to have an extra level of naval exploration: changed every 'Ocean' tile adjacent to a 'Coast' tile into a 'Coast' tile.
    I loved it to have a second exploration phase with triremes/galleys in a "Broader Coast Line" before the arrival of caravels (able to cross the deep ocean) ...

Though I suppose in civ6 something similar will be problematic, because of "narrower" oceans now?!

Trav'ling Canuck and nzcamel like this.
  11. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Let's confirm all Vesuvius, Venice and canals :p

Duuk likes this.
  12. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

As someone pointed out, the Maori weren't a naval civ - they were a warrior society best-known for their initially hostile interactions with European colonists. Very similar in that respect to the Mapuche or the Zulu.

ferretbacon likes this.
  13. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The name of the famous fictional 19th century human chimera is "Frankenstein's Monster."

nzcamel and Zaarin like this.
  14. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

Could someone please summarize for me what's new? I've been out for a month and just came back.

The last thing I read is something about a hidden test update with a strange name which meant some weird expression in american english.

15. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Using Frankenstein for the name of the monster is not exactly incorrect though. While never formally given a name, the monster does understand that Victor Frankenstein is both his creator and his father (for those who have never read the book the monster is both fluent and extremely eloquent with languages, not at all the hulking grunting one depicted in popular culture). As the name passes with the father, then, at least to the monster himself, his family name would be Frankenstein. It is simply Victor's arrogance that does not allow him to recognize the "monster" as a living being which is why he is never officially named at all (the hubris thing is kinda the point of the story).

Leyrann, Ivan Hunger, nzcamel and 2 others like this.
  16. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

I asked a Maori friend to look at the leaked picture of the Polynesian leader. She reckoned the cloak is Kurī hair (Polynesian dog). From the Museum of New Zealand, they also say the cloaks were the war cloaks of chiefs, so this fits a Maori leader. Although she did say it could be any other Polynesian culture with dog hair cloaks (The Kurī spread all over Polynesia).

The dog is extinct now, but you can read more about it and the cloaks here:
    https://teara.govt.nz/en/kuri-polyn...ICHOIouPRjgbFzPL1Cg81Nb_h7OMqKIHOBsH_-43s0G_A
    https://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/...wdVJgEZSVhTF8N6R_PvI3ilXwL9amO4ok5-wokCXts7wI

Kimiimaro, Hawke9, Weraptor and 4 others like this.
  17. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Right, the items he is wearing are really not specific to the Maori people, they were worn all over. Which is why I think the more telling items would be the symbols on the clothing. I am not sure what exactly the necklace is, but he does appear to have either swords (which are a symbol of the Tongan kings) or, and the more I look at it the more I think it is this, Kapu sticks (symbols of the ancient Hawai'i kings).

nzcamel and TahamiTsunami like this.
  18. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I am glad to say i'm one of them. :thumbsup:

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

They're updating the usual 2kqa test branches pretty regularly for over a month now, including an unknown DLC. This unknown DLC is probably the second expansion. Other branches are being updated as well.

A couple of days ago someone posted several pictures on an unnameable site (Reddit then picked it up) that were alleged to be concept art for the second expansion code named Vesuvius to be released Feb 14. They depict a Polynesian-looking man and some water-based improvements. They look like pictures tacked to a wall photographed with a phone camera.

I don't have a link.

20. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.