1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Could he be Maui, the Polynesian Gilgamesh?

2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

My guess would be the similarities between the Chemamull and the Moai (which was part of the Polynesian V iteration).

Guandao likes this.
  3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Who knows in VI!? Eagle Warriors in the ancient world vs slightly more realistically placed Impi in the medieval? If they follow the former then a OP canoe fits *sigh*... The later doesn't really make things that much better...

Siptah likes this.
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I'd think it would be quite a different civ in that case. Maori had been on my wishlist only because I think the leader animation would be very cool.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I think a Tongan leader is highly unlikely. The Maori have been demanded by many Civ players. Why would Firaxis not give in to that demand and instead choose some obscure Tongan leader? Is the Tongan market that important? :p Plus he lacks the Tu'i Tonga headdress.

Mark my words, this guy is a Maori leader. Whoever created the model messed up on accuracy. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2018
    Hawke9 likes this.
  6. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

They could've left out the tats just to keep the market open. Not all countries are as receptive to facial tattoos as the Western World is...

I have little doubts the leaked leader is meant to represent the Maori however.

Guandao likes this.
  7. nzcamel

It makes so little sense to me, that everyone had brown or black hair -regardless of accuracy- in VI vanilla; that I have a pet theory that it was to make Alexander look all the more distinct when he first takes off his helmet and shakes those raggedly locks! But then...he's not strikingly blond either lol.

As to market size, there are roughly 600,000 Maori in NZ (and another 200,000+ overseas) most of whom will have significant European heritage too. Samoans are 200,000 ish and Tongans 100,000 ish (again more will live overseas) though both of those groups will have way less mixed heritage than the Maori. Fijians are a significant population of Pacific Islanders with 900,000 ish; but they are Melanesian, not Polynesian.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Zaarin likes this.
  8. Guandao

So the Samoans and Tongans deserve representation in Civ over the Maori because they are less mixed? :p I know their cultures are older than the Maori, but....
    Still, the leaked leader doesn't look like a T'ui Tonga ruler, any Samoan ruler I've seen depictions of, or a Hawaiian ruler. I still keep going back to Hongi Hika. :think:

With the Maori, Firaxis can have a Polynesian Civ, and not have to add a post-colonial New Zealand Civ. :p

9. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

frankenstein branch just got axed. It hadn't been touched since last November.

Kjimmet, Leathaface, Hawke9 and 7 others like this.
  10. nzcamel

I didn't say that :p I suppose given their much smaller geographic size, those other Polynesians were often more unified...but still...meh...

Hah! Should have added New Zealand rather than those redneck Australians! :lol::lol::lol:

legalizefreedom, Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  11. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Of course it could be unfinished. It's not supposed to be public yet. It's not even supposed to be leaked yet. It would like releasing an x-ray of a person and commenting on the lack of clothing.

Not that we at CivFanatics would let that stop us, of course.

"Did not have properly defined facial tattoos. May as well scrap Vesuvius and just end development and start on Civ7. Dooooooooom."

Kjimmet, Zaarin, Leyrann and 5 others like this.
  12. Guandao

I'm curious about this frankenstein branch.....:confused:

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

on halloween how appropriate

Kjimmet, qadams, Hawke9 and 7 others like this.
  14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I can't point to any sources, feels like civ lore, but I'm under the impression that there is/was a group of testers referred to as Frankenstein, some of whom have participated in these forums, related to past versions of civ....

Guandao likes this.
  15. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Frankenstein is a monster. Today is Halloween. On Halloween, people dress in different costumes, monsters included. Mummy is also a possible costume. We know mummies mainly from Egypt. Second Egyptian leader confirmed? :think:

16. Eagle Pursuit

The Frankenstein configuration still exists though.

Guandao likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Check the game credits.

bbbt likes this.
  18. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

So does this mean that closed-beta testing of the 2nd expansion is started or will soon start?

Guandao and Duuk like this.
  19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I think they never tested DLC with the Frankenstein group beforehand, so it must be something like that.

20. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

This news is great - to me especially since it seems like there will be renewable energy improvements and possibly a naval research station. I always like it when Civ includes things like that, that send a positive message.

I guess those 2 leaders are for new civs, I kind of suspect we'll get 4 new ones and 4 returning favorites. Looking forward to late November :)

Leathaface and Hawke9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.