All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "calendar quirk" you speak of, because my calendar says February 14, 2019 is the second THURSDAY.
Sorry, I meant Thursday.

Specificity that the 8th and 14th are the furthest possible dates apart to both fall on the "Second Thursday". So even though they are a week apart in one calculation, they are the same day using a different calculation.

I think Norway shouldn't have gotten the early sailing into deep ocean ability. They were always sailing relatively close to the coast (Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland), not crossing over the Atlantic Ocean without making landfall.
Ever had a look at a world map? The way from Norway to Iceland is quite far. Modern ferries travel around 1500km to reach it on the direct way. The way Greenland and Newfoundland is also not right around to corner. It's definitely not close to the coast sailing.

the Norsemen did control Orkney and the Shetlands for a while though. the journey to Iceland is less arduous if you can use those islands as waypoints.

Ever had a look at a world map? The way from Norway to Iceland is quite far. Modern ferries travel around 1500km to reach it on the direct way. The way Greenland and Newfoundland is also not right around to corner. It's definitely not close to the coast sailing.

Ok, but the Norwegians being able to sail all over the world during the Classical Era makes little sense to me. :dunno:

I'm referring to really vast distances of ocean. The distance from Greenland to Baffin Island isn't that bad, and it's the most likely route they took to North America. Same goes for Iceland to Greenland. The distances between them are still nothing compared to sailing across the Atlantic Ocean from Portugal to the Caribbean (Columbus, etc) or the Indian Ocean from Indonesia to Madagascar (which ancestors of the Malagasy actually accomplished).

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant Thursday.

Specificity that the 8th and 14th are the furthest possible dates apart to both fall on the "Second Thursday". So even though they are a week apart in one calculation, they are the same day using a different calculation.

In fact, the 8-14th day of a month are always the second time a certain day of the week appears that month. It's not exactly a rare occurrence...

Ok, but the Norwegians being able to sail all over the world during the Classical Era makes little sense to me. :dunno:
For me it makes even less sense to have them as a Civilization on the map at that time.

But as they are (on the map at that time), why not being able to sail all over the world ?

I'm referring to really vast distances of ocean. The distance from Greenland to Baffin Island isn't that bad, and it's the most likely route they took to North America. Same goes for Iceland to Greenland. The distances between them are still nothing compared to sailing across the Atlantic Ocean from Portugal to the Caribbean (Columbus, etc) or the Indian Ocean from Indonesia to Madagascar (which ancestors of the Malagasy actually accomplished).
Norwegian raids in classical era are still much closer to history than Azetc eagle warriors dominating the ancient era. Sure, the north route isn't as far on open sea than going from the Azores to the New World. But we are talking about completely different kinds of ships and a very different age. The distance from Indonesia to Madagascar is tiny compared to the distance from the earth to the moon (much, much, much tinier). The vikings definitely crossed the open ocean, so I don't see why the bonus should be a misfit. Additionally, it makes coastal raiding as Norway for a pillaging-driven economy a fun play style.

Norwegian raids in classical era are still much closer to history than Azetc eagle warriors dominating the ancient era. Sure, the north route isn't as far on open sea than going from the Azores to the New World. But we are talking about completely different kinds of ships and a very different age. The distance from Indonesia to Madagascar is tiny compared to the distance from the earth to the moon (much, much, much tinier). The vikings definitely crossed the open ocean, so I don't see why the bonus should be a misfit. Additionally, it makes coastal raiding as Norway for a pillaging-driven economy a fun play style.

I don't get why you compared the distance from Indonesia to Madagascar to the distance from the earth to the moon? :confused: Are you downplaying the accomplishments of the Malagasy's ancestors? :p

I hated playing Norway by the way. :p Plus they portrayed Harald Hardrada as dumb....

I do find it much easier to quickly pick out hill tiles at a glance in Civ 5 compared to Civ 6.

I think only jungle hills are really hard to make out.^^

This is one of the few gripes about VI that comes up in my mind every game I play (this...and NO WAIT instruction...gah) - the hills are hard to make out when covered in foliage or districts. I often change to and from strategy view just to see them quicker!
Very happy to see there's a mod to make them more distinct :)

Edit: Can someone mod in a "Wait" command already!? Is it that hard?

Wonder movies can be done in other ways than showing the building being built in game graphics - civ VI is the first to do this. It's a good idea, but not necessary.

I keep meaning to say that the wonder movies as they are in VI is a complete delight. I love watching them built where I have put them, and with the day night function bringing out the lights :love:

The man seems to be wearing a top I would associate with the Maori (based on Google searches), if that helps.

As a New Zealander (one with no Maori or Polynesian heritage who isn't any sort of expert on the topic) I concur re the shoulder covering. Maori ones tend to have that thiner feathered look. The "skirt"? Little bit less specifically Maori.

The facial features look very Maori to me. But the body may indicate another Polynesian race as Maori tend to be leaner than the Samoans or Tongans. On that level though I'm looking for little clues that could be well off, cos of course you get stockier and leaner people in every race lol.

Well if that is the case it might be okay, because I actually made New Zealand bigger than it needed to be, so maybe I had prophetic foresight

Love ya brother! ;) Nice to be measured in the impact we have on the world rather than proper geographic size... :mischief:

The “Polynesian” leader looks Maori at first glance, though the necklace does not resemble any Maori bone carving style I know of (this is my 12th year living in New Zealand). Perhaps the artist took some artistic license, or it is a different culture.

I'm with you on that. It looks a bit more Pacific Islander - traditional Maori bone necklaces tend to be smaller.

Here's a link to the Wiki page for Hongi Hika.

Looking at the depictions of him on the page, it seems like this is the most similar to the leaked Polynesian leader concept art. The pendant on the necklace, the skirt, and the fur on his shoulders. No facial tattoos, but perhaps Firaxis thought they were too hard to animate, or would offend Maori people. Or they could be adding them later.

He also looks a bit like the New Zealand actor Temuera Morrison, who is of Maori descent.

I don't think adding the tattoo's would offend Maori, unless they rushed it. As long as they have a chat to some Maori to get it right (facial tattoo's especially tell stories) it should be fine. No doubt someone will be offended no matter what they do :undecide:

If they have a historical leader for the Civ that fits, I expect they'll go that route instead. So if they go Maori, I expect a real person. If they go Easter Island though …

I suppose this isn't a unique issue to the Maori, but before the arrival of Europeans Maori were not a unified people under any single leader (in fact they only started to call themselves Maori after we arrived to distinguish themselves.) Also after the arrival of Europeans the Maori set up a monarchy of sorts to help unify resisting illegal encroachments of Europeans. It still exists to this day with either a king or queen at the top; but is very much a figurehead who is even less recognised among Maori as relevant than figure head monarchs are in Europe. The leaders of each tribe will hold more real power.

I think a Hone Heke or other senior tribal leader would be appropriate myself, if they are going to bring the Maori in fully (rather than Polynesia that may have a leader from elsewhere like in V); but the lack of unity is one of the reasons that I don't like either Polynesia or the Maori being included as a "civilisation" myself.

If it's the Maori, which I think it is, they might not be as Naval based as Indonesia and Norway, unlike the other Polynesian cultures.

Here is a picture of Honga Hika. It looks similar as in both pictures have a necklace and robe.

The Maori and Polynesians weren't crossing the oceans in the Classical era either. Well, the Melanesian/Micronesian bits were likely well settled by then. But Polynesia proper was more the Medieval era. :p

Last edited:
In fact, the 8-14th day of a month are always the second time a certain day of the week appears that month. It's not exactly a rare occurrence...

I wasn't trying to say it was rare. I was trying to explain why I was predicting a November 27th announcement vs. December 4th; as well as why I thought this date helped validate the leak's authenticity.

It's a quirk, to me at least, that this particular date and month that we are very interested in can be seen as both "a week later than last year" or as "the same week as last year" depending on how you look at it.

I work in a software company that schedules releases for certain times of the year, and we often use things like "second full weekend of the month" and the like to schedule things. On the other hand, major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years (which combined often account for a disproportionate amount of the year's vacation time) can impact our Q4 schedule quite a bit. When comparing year over year it creates some oddities, until you know the pattern.

Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years (which combined often account for a disproportionate amount of the year's vacation time)

Interesting. In the Netherlands that tends to be true for the end of the school/college year, with Easter, Ascension Day, whatever-that-other-Christian-holiday-is-called-in-English, liberation day and king's day (celebration of the birthday of the king).

Maybe Norway's ability should be that their Galleys and Quadriremes can enter ocean tiles, but need to end their turn in a Coast tile (similar to Triremes in Civ 1)

Last edited:
I'd probably just leave Norway as is and give a hypothetical Polynesian civ a really cool early boat (and yeah I know by real world history they're not really that early)
I think it depends on the kind of Polynesia. Would it make sense for a Maori civ to have a canoes that are better than Triremes or even Quadriremes? Or would they rather get a warrior replacement as UU and the island/coastal civ gets covered by a UA/ULA?

They just released the second video for the Switch release:

Anybody recognise this resource: https://imgur.com/a/Ok64EbB

Is just wine at low graphics settings?
I suppose it shows gameplay of the switch version, which, as far as we know, doesn't include any unknown content.

looks like wine, but I can't even bear to play this game without resource icons on.

I think Norway shouldn't have gotten the early sailing into deep ocean ability. They were always sailing relatively close to the coast (Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland), not crossing over the Atlantic Ocean without making landfall.

Just to add my own 2 cents, I don't mind it, especially since those are still pretty far distances to travel (not as far as entire oceans but still considerably far from land nonetheless). I think we'll be good as long as the Polynesian civ/civs we get include their own spin on it.

I love that there are so many SteamDB watchers now. :)

Having so many people at the ready to share news is definitely appreciated!

Plus they portrayed Harald Hardrada as dumb....

Something that I recently found out that irks now is that he should've been blond. It's something else to look forward to if that blonde queen does turn out to be true.

The facial features look very Maori to me. But the body may indicate another Polynesian race as Maori tend to be leaner than the Samoans or Tongans. On that level though I'm looking for little clues that could be well off, cos of course you get stockier and leaner people in every race lol.

I'm suspecting Maori right now too. If a few things are off, perhaps it could be brought to Firaxis' attention for them to change it like they did with Seondeok and Theodore Roosevelt (as trivial as it is, I wish the color of Shaka's leopard skin had been brought to their attention to be changed before release).

Here's a link to the Wiki page for Hongi Hika.

Looking at the depictions of him on the page, it seems like this is the most similar to the leaked Polynesian leader concept art. The pendant on the necklace, the skirt, and the fur on his shoulders. No facial tattoos, but perhaps Firaxis thought they were too hard to animate, or would offend Maori people. Or they could be adding them later.

He also looks a bit like the New Zealand actor Temuera Morrison, who is of Maori descent.

Unless it simply isn't finished (and that seems very odd to have not finished), I don't see how that could possibly be Maori. Ta Moko, which is actually chiseled into the skin not punctured as like a traditional tattoo, is integral to the Maori cultural identity. However, the other items are all fairly commonplace in the Polynesian region. The use of red and swords would suggest, to me, he is one of the Tu'i Tonga. Although the pendant may be a stylized version of an outrigger and we get a Hawai'i dynasty. But again without the Ta Moko, I think Maori is easy to rule out.

Edit: Actually they could even be Kapu sticks not swords and, with the red background, would make perfect sense with Kamehameha kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom