1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I hope they bring most of the mentioned veteran Civs (Babylon, Ottomans, Carthage, Byzantines, Ethiopia, Mali, Maya, Inca, Portugal) back. If there are newcomer Civs, I hope they are from less well represented regions, like West Africa. But I'm guessing some of the new ones will be from Europe because of the market there. :p

I hope Mapuche being in the game won't mean the Inca are out. They are not too similar except for sharing the Andes.

And I hope Firaxis stays away from more post-Colonial nations. They are just not distinct enough in my opinion to merit official Civs.

Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  2. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

I agree with you about China getting a new alt leader on the basis that they have had so much history and so many leaders but I do believe that the fact Qin's ability providers the extra builder charges to help build the Great Wall which you need to build lots of might suggest that they won't get a new leader; because then it becomes more difficult to finish the great wall. Also the Great Wall was really Qin's kinda thing.
    I'm more inclined to think Egypt or France will get the new leader based on the fact that their leader abilities do not synergies with their Civ unique. However I do fear that we might get Constantine for Rome to represent "East Rome" without getting a full Byzantium Civ.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Various changes on steamdb today. Don't know what to make of most of them, but one seems noteworthy: falconchase was changed to pdreview in one location.

Creative speculation on what pdreview means, if anything?

Zaarin, RohirrimElf and pokiehl like this.
  4. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

Please Don’t Review?

It’s a new approach to security ... asking people to leave things alone...

Guandao, Zaarin and WillowBrook like this.
  5. Haig

Haig Warlord

After studying some notable academics, I am ready to release an official timeline for hypetrain:

1. Activity on Steam database rises up

2. A cryptic message out of blue on Firaxis' social media about "Check back next week for something big"

3. THE ANNOUNCEMENT! New expansion is announced, fans start analyzing the features and getting hyped

4. Two screenshots from the new expansion are analyzed for several weeks in desperate need of any info.. ("That must be a new resource? Dogs??")

5. Every week FirstLooks for new civs are dropped, some weeks devs also livestream a new feature of the expansion. This is the "Golden Age" of hype train.

6. Getting closer to release, threads like "What will be your settings and civ for your first game?" appear more frequently

7. New Expansion is released! People enjoy the new revamped World congress and playing as King Zog of Albanian empire!

Guandao and Reckoner like this.
  6. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Not exactly just Qin's thing. It was improved and built during several Dynasties. Most of the present day Great Wall comes from Ming Dynasty.

Skanderbeg.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  7. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

8. A player will teach his cat to beat the expansion's Deity AI by pressing the Return key

9. A new poll shows that 5% of civfanatics are ready to pay for a better AI DLC (the Firaxism Followers in Quest of the Holy Band-Aid will denounce them the next turn), 1% think it's not possible as they can't beat the Settler AI themselves while using advanced strategies, and 94% suggest that Firaxis should hire the cat for civ7 AI development.

10. A new Steam DB depot named "bewareofdog" will be created

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I wouldn't say it failed, they intended from the beginning for the modding community to pick up the slack, and they have. There are plenty of alternate leaders on Steam workshop. I don't want to see that many alternate leaders in an expansion. But I will say Germany could use one along with Egypt and France.

Deliverator and pokiehl like this.
  9. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

I wish it was easier to mod an alternative leader. I've been trying for over a year now and mine won't work :sad:
    I've got to the point where I will now pay someone just to finish my alternative leader mod and show me how they did it so I can replicate that for other alternative leaders.

10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Heh, imagine they drop the bomb on us with like 15 new civs and 3 new leaders. 'Boom' indeed.

11. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Have you sought help from the Civ VI Modding Helpline?
    https://discord.gg/zeuQRxS

12. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Well, even if Firaxis themselves don't make a lot of use of the Alt. Leaders system, it has been a great mechanic for modders like myself - a way to explore leaders I wouldn't have contemplated in Civ V because making an entire civ for them was simply too much. Personally, though, I'd like to see at least an official Egyptian or Chinese alt. They are the poster children of civilizations, after all :p

bbbt, shaglio and Guandao like this.
  13. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

I think the Maya should get a "Mayan Calendar" ability where they will get an early warning for natural disasters!

14. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Mhrm, if they really go with a more complex train and railway, canals, dams, etc, mechanic, which leader/civ could be introduced as a "heavy user" of that mechanic... maybe an American one?

15. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

I hope they do something with England too.

acluewithout likes this.
  16. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

Well the prime Civ/Leader for railways would be England's Victoria; being the heart of the industrial revolution and the railways across the British Empire. Perhaps the Free Melee units ability will be replaced with a railway ability. The Suez Canal was British too, Panama Canal was Franco-American. Venice, England and Netherlands are famous for their canals. China and America are famous for their dams.

acluewithout and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  17. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Colombia under Simon Bolivar would be cool though: and honestly, the fact that Spanish Latin America has NEVER been represented by a civ is somewhat shocking. Haiti would also be a welcome surprise personally: a state formed out of a slave revolt, pretty unique.

(Disclaimer, I've been listening to too much of Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast)

+1. I really wanna see a Romance of the Three Kingdoms leader, that period is criminally overlooked in western popular culture.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Mexico or Argentina seem like the only ones large enough to qualify. Mexico's ability should be to lose population to the nearest Northern neighbor. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Guandao, Kimiimaro and Leyrann like this.
  19. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

They should have you first pick your country. Then you pick from the leaders of that country, each with their own benefits.

20. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Actually I think the top picks are Colombia and Mexico. With Colombia being basically a stand-in for Gran Colombia. Gran Colombia encompassed Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama, and parts of Peru. Bolivia is also named after Bolivar, who'd be the most obvious leader. And Simon Bolivar is a much better known character than José de San Martín IMHO. Though you could do a lot of fun mountain stuff with him.

Mexico because, well Mexico.

pokiehl and Eagle Pursuit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.