All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Maya should get a "Mayan Calendar" ability where they will get an early warning for natural disasters!
The thing about natural disasters is that they're not on the calendar. :p Maybe Josiah of Judah can get a "Prophecy" ability? :p

Mhrm, if they really go with a more complex train and railway, canals, dams, etc, mechanic, which leader/civ could be introduced as a "heavy user" of that mechanic... maybe an American one?
America is the obvious one, but an Industrial Era American president would be awfully close in time to Teddy. China and Rome had leaders famous for their infrastructure, if not explicitly railways; the Inca could be another.

honestly, the fact that Spanish Latin America has NEVER been represented by a civ is somewhat shocking.
Not really. Until BNW, the US was the only post-colonial civ in the game (and if I had my way it would have stayed that way--and I wouldn't have wept if they cut America, too).

I really wanna see a Romance of the Three Kingdoms leader, that period is criminally overlooked in western popular culture.
China is criminally under-represented in Western popular culture (I mean, Jade Empire, IMO BioWare's best game, sold so poorly that its sequel got canceled and replaced by Dragon Age); Americans are too obsessed with Japan to remember China. :( However, insofar as China gets representation in Western culture, I feel like the Three Kingdoms period is very popular: just look at the several strategy games focused on that period on Steam, for instance, including one pending from the Total War franchise. I'd personally rather see a Confucian Tang emperor (Taizong and Wu being the obvious choices) to contrast with Qin's Legalism.

China is criminally under-represented in Western popular culture (I mean, Jade Empire, IMO BioWare's best game, sold so poorly that its sequel got canceled and replaced by Dragon Age); Americans are too obsessed with Japan to remember China. :( However, insofar as China gets representation in Western culture, I feel like the Three Kingdoms period is very popular: just look at the several strategy games focused on that period on Steam, for instance, including one pending from the Total War franchise. I'd personally rather see a Confucian Tang emperor (Taizong and Wu being the obvious choices) to contrast with Qin's Legalism.
I think it's a similar sort of problem to Egypt - despite there being several thousand years of history it's all just sort of amalgamated into one generic thing, and as such it always feels like one Chinese / Egyptian leader covers it all adequately

Before R&F I was a big advocate of King William I of the Netherlands with a focus on infrastructure, but with Wilhelmina already in the game that isn't looking likely.

Still think Wilhelmina was a bad choice.

I'm quite hopeful for an alt leader for Rome, and I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet. Talk about "big personalities" - so many interesting choices they could go with. Although I can imagine that would make some players unhappy since another ancient civ, Greece, already has an alt leader. I also really want one for America - FDR would be a neat choice.

Last edited:
Before R&F I was a big advocate of King William I of the Netherlands with a focus on infrastructure, but with Wilhelmina already in the game that isn't looking likely.

Still think Wilhelmina was a bad choice.
Along with a Dutch leader closer to the Dutch Golden Age, I hope that in Civ VII, Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie will return. I've read that VoC was the most valuable company in history, and it had many very interesting rights and powers...

Actually I think the top picks are Colombia and Mexico. With Colombia being basically a stand-in for Gran Colombia. Gran Colombia encompassed Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama, and parts of Peru. Bolivia is also named after Bolivar, who'd be the most obvious leader. And Simon Bolivar is a much better known character than José de San Martín IMHO. Though you could do a lot of fun mountain stuff with him.

Mexico because, well Mexico.
According to a poll on here I think that (Gran) Colombia and Argentina were the top picks, which I would rather either of them over Mexico. Anyway I don't want too many more post-colonial nations but I would be fine with at least a Spanish speaking one since it would be different.

I'm quite hopeful for an alt leader for Rome, and I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet.
I think they're in the same category as Egypt and China: they feel same-y, even if they're not. Personally I find Roman history boring, but if we got another Roman emperor I'd hope for Severus Septimius--but we'd probably get Julius Caesar or Augustus. Nero would have...personality. :satan:

I also really want one for America - FDR would be a neat choice.
We already have the less controversial Roosevelt. ;)

I think they're in the same category as Egypt and China: they feel same-y, even if they're not. Personally I find Roman history boring, but if we got another Roman emperor I'd hope for Severus Septimius--but we'd probably get Julius Caesar or Augustus. Nero would have...personality. :satan:
Nero also leads Rome in Civ 6: We finally have a leader that can raze/remove his own districts with his special ability.

Nero also leads Rome in Civ 6: We finally have a leader that can raze/remove his own districts with his special ability.
Fiddle As Rome Burns: If one of Nero's cities becomes a free city or if partisans are spawned in one of Nero's cities, he gains a culture boost for 10 turns. :lol:

I really want to see that now from Firaxis lol. Nero would be such an interesting choice, and being able to remove your own districts would be a funny, thematically appropriate ability.

They should have you first pick your country. Then you pick from the leaders of that country, each with their own benefits.
I wish we could just pick country, then you get fictional leaders (bit like spy names). These leaders should work like CK2 with positive and negative modifiers. I bet that would be 20 times more fun. I dont need 3D leaderscreens... I need immersion.

I really want to see that now from Firaxis lol. Nero would be such an interesting choice, and being able to remove your own districts would be a funny, thematically appropriate ability.
Ability to remove or move districts would suit Napoleon III of France. After all, he ordered the massive renovation of Paris.

I wish we could just pick country, then you get fictional leaders (bit like spy names). These leaders should work like CK2 with positive and negative modifiers. I bet that would be 20 times more fun. I dont need 3D leaderscreens... I need immersion.
Then play CK2? Civ is a 4X game, not a grand strategy game. While not foundational to the genre, the idea of a personified representation of a civilization with whom the human player can interact and form some kind of emotional attachment, be it rivalry or friendship, has been a central part of the genre for years now. Speaking for myself personally, I'd move on to better 4X games if Civ abandoned its personal leaders, because it's really all the franchise has going for it: that sense of playing against great historical figures that gives the franchise a particular connection with history. Otherwise there are much better 4X games on the market. If you want more detail than you get out of a 4X game, then grand strategy like Paradox's titles are what you're looking for (and I'm not speaking ill of them, mind you: I didn't care for CK2 despite really wanting to, but I love Stellaris).

I'm quite hopeful for an alt leader for Rome, and I'm shocked there hasn't been one yet. Talk about "big personalities" - so many interesting choices they could go with. Although I can imagine that would make some players unhappy since another ancient civ, Greece, already has an alt leader. I also really want one for America - FDR would be a neat choice.

I agree with this. Rome is a really fun Civ to play and it'd be awesome of they got an alt leader. I'd also like an alt leader for Japan, they are fun to play as well.

I'm hesitant to get an alt leader from the Steam workshop since an alt leader could be too OP or stray too much from what Firaxis would create.

I'm hesitant to get an alt leader from the Steam workshop since an alt leader could be too OP or stray too much from what Firaxis would create.
I mean, you should be able to judge for yourself if something is OP or not. (and it's not like this is a competitive multiplayer game, you're not about to get banned or anything like that for playing an OP mod).

I would highly doubt it simply because it would be complicated and Firaxis has invested little enough in the multiple leader mechanic (again, explicitly stating they included it for modders).

Civ4 Beyond the Sword had Natural Disasters (and other random events)...

I do miss random events. I like the idea of natural disasters that aren't fully random - earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, hurricanes that are linked to features on the map, but are unpredictable in their occurrence. The continents system they have now even lets them establish fault lines for earthquakes. I think there was some bias in this respect in CIv IV (floods always hit floodplains and I think volcanoes only or mostly occurred within a few tiles of mountains) but it felt mostly random as I recall.

I'd like modelling of internal population dynamics - migration which results in pop moving from one to another of your cities (which could be linked with both trade routes/roads and amenities), and possibly to foreign cities (maybe tied to loyalty?), disease impacts and spread (there was a nice mod for this in Civ V but while it was mechanically good it was essentially nonfunctional as it always resulted in the AI becoming a plague reservoir and unable to play the game, since the AI coding didn't prioritise the buildings that mitigated plague), and internal dissent/civil war.

I mean, you should be able to judge for yourself if something is OP or not. (and it's not like this is a competitive multiplayer game, you're not about to get banned or anything like that for playing an OP mod).

Certainly the Steam workshop has many great alt leaders, including for Rome, but even as a modder, I'm always eager to see see Firaxis's version of stuff that we modders have done.

The most popular video game series to depict the Three Kingdoms Period happen to be Dynasty Warriors (and it's a Japanese-made video game series).

Dynasty Warriors is where many Westerners learn about the Three Kingdoms period.

Me, I first learned about the Three Kingdom period from a very summarized version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom