All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the fantasy feathers are silly in any era. :p I'm all for depicting a leader well in the era they actually lived. Civ6's Montezuma still doesn't meet that criterion, but at least some leaders do. :p Anyone else remember Skinhead Joan of Arc? I remember Skinhead Joan of Arc. :p

Bonjour tout le monde!

Bonjour tout le monde!

Kill it with fire.

Heretic. I want this back SO BAD.
The idea wasn't bad; the implementation was horrible. It's a reminder that Firaxis doesn't do well when originality is called for (see Beyond Earth)--and that they have a very juvenile sense of humor. :p

You take that back! BERT is beautiful, and that's an excellent example of good updating leader models.

I say this thread with hit 2,000 posts for sure. It's been here for 4 months and I don't see Firaxis releasing anything before the 6th of February 2019, which is 4 months from the present time.

And despite all your clever points, we are still posting "all quiet in civ tront topics" and digging it thirsty of any news. I dunno if all in 2018 in general is better, but I am sure that half year gap without a new content and no pr communication with player base is just bad. You got it?
You do realise people do this anyway, even with regular communication or newsposts from the developers? This site is not unique when it comes to digging through Steam depot for hidden gems of information.

I'm not saying Firaxis could do better (depending how where that rests r.e. 2K), I was pointing out that the comparison to years past is terribly flawed.

If every business practise is wholesome, beneficial and internally sustainable then no business would go bankrupt. Businesses make mistakes, sometimes for years on end and in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's a simple fact of life. Doesn't mean that 2k is definitely doing it, but I do personally believe that, for example, the Paradox way of interacting with fans is (vastly) superior to the 2k way.
Incorrect. If every business practise was wholesome and beneficial to the consumer (sorry for not making that clear) a lot more companies would go bankrupt.

Paradox is a different company, with a very different structure, that handles its own games. But yeah, at least you're talking about 2K and not Firaxis like a bunch of other folks in here. People might not appreciate the difference, but of course there is a difference. Firaxis under another publisher would be different to Firaxis under 2K. For better and for worse.

The modern era music, on the other hand....

I like that jazz tune. I would have preferred they use real jazz instruments and not synth jazz but I still liked it. Although at first I didn't, but it grew on me. But I can see how it might be a little non-traditional for some people.

Now this thread is putting me in the mood to play civ3 again. :)

Incorrect. If every business practise was wholesome and beneficial to the consumer (sorry for not making that clear) a lot more companies would go bankrupt.

I don't see how that - probably correct - statement makes my statement incorrect, as it's about another subject; namely the subject of your first post (which I literally copied into my own statement).

In fact "not going bankrupt" is basically what "sustainable business" means.

You take that back! BERT is beautiful, and that's an excellent example of good updating leader models.
It was lovely to look at (and listen to) but the lore was horribly shallow.

I like that jazz tune. I would have preferred they use real jazz instruments and not synth jazz but I still liked it. Although at first I didn't, but it grew on me. But I can see how it might be a little non-traditional for some people.

Now this thread is putting me in the mood to play civ3 again. :)
Was it Civ4 that had that awful easy listening in the modern era? I frequently quit in the modern era because of that music. :p

Pretty sure that's 3 you're thinking of. I didn't mind the first hour, but if playing all evening, I had to turn off the sound.

Yeah 4 and 5 had a bunch of minimalist John Coolidge Adams stuff in the modern era.

[Edit: apparently there's 2 composers named John _ Adams and I mixed them up. :dunno:]

Last edited:
Smoke updated a bit ago. Someone's working on the weekend.
Could that mean they're in crunch mode ?

Maybe something for the 2nd year anniversary ?

Smoke updated a bit ago. Someone's working on the weekend.
An awful lot of updates to 'smoke' in the past few days, including DepotTest. Is it possible something is coming out soon? Or maybe a patch (with DepotTest just along for the testing ride but not being released)? Or nothing to see here, someone just trying to get some work done ... on the weekend?

An awful lot of updates to 'smoke' in the past few days, including DepotTest. Is it possible something is coming out soon? Or maybe a patch (with DepotTest just along for the testing ride but not being released)? Or nothing to see here, someone just trying to get some work done ... on the weekend?

It's impossible to say anything for certain. We can only speculate.

It's impossible to say anything for certain. We can only speculate.
Or to quote Paul the Apostle in his 1st letter to the Corinthians: "For we know in part, and we prophesy in part."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom