1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

All Quiet on the Civ Front

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Duuk, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I put in most of my hours later rather than just after launch, I'm pretty sure that's fixed in a patch indeed. Never see any U-turns and I watch traffic quite a lot.

Leathaface likes this.
  2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

You will probably hate EU and CK then. There are some goals and things to shoot for to sort of guide your hand, but more or less it is just an abstract score that you are playing for. I do enjoy both, but when comparing Civ to EU I feel like Civ is much more of a game. Having fun in the moment seems to be at the forefront of the experience and you are playing something. EU is much more a simulation and feels more like work and you are "playing" a spreadsheet. I don't think its ever really fun in the moment, even though the totality of the experience is. It is a very different kind of game and if you are not interested in that style can be VERY off-putting.

tedhebert, Guandao and Rup like this.
  3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ugh, and EU4 doesn't have one either? I thought about trying EU4, but without a win condition count me out. I kind of need that. It's one reason I play Civilization so much now. Because it's a fairly short game, where as I tend to get bored of my longer RPG's after 50 or so hours. I could never even play Witcher 3 far enough to see the expansions I bought and paid for. I don't want something that drags on and on.

Does anyone here regularly play any of the civ games "just one more turn"? Meaning after you win the game. I thought about it, but never actually did it. I thought about how big I can get my cities, but I'm just not that interested in playing for "nothing".

I really hope Civ games don't go down this road. I already see Civ6 as being the most "sandbox-y" of the bunch, I hope they don't really push that too far.

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I don't know, I've never played EU4. My guess, however, is that there isn't, even if only because you can convert your CK2 save at the end of the game to an EU4 save and continue playing.

Nope, never did that.

I think the difference is that Civ plays toward a win condition, while CK2 does not. I also know that some people, in CK2, abandon their games once they're dominant - they just start another game at that point. Either way, I don't think you should consider it a game with no win condition. You should consider it a game where you set your own win condition. That could be anything from "become emperor" to "become a jew, then conquer the entire muslim world and convert them all to judaism" or "start as a count in [wherever] and forge an independent nation (kingdom/empire probably) of everything east of the Rhine, north of the Donau and west of whatever that river in Poland is called".

If you wish, you can even limit yourself on having to do that in a certain timeframe. For example "go from count to emperor in 100 years".

5. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

The colors of the "world" in Civ5 are pretty dull. The forests look ugly, a mass of indistinguishable green. In 2018, the graphics looks dated....
    Try imagining the Civ6 districts in a Civ5 artstyle....or the Civ6 wonders in that style....

English Empire.jpg

nzcamel, Jkchart, 679x and 3 others like this.
  6. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

those farms look really nice though

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

I'm not a fan of Civ V at all but I'm personally on the other side of the fence on that one. I find it way easier to look at Civ V and get an understanding of what is going just in terms of visuals. Civ VI is detailed but to me everything ends up looking way too busy. I can appreciate that a lot of time went into animating all those little things but I never actually *see* it when I'm playing the game. I seem to remember, before the game was released, the devs talking about making things on the map clearer and all of that but for me that didn't turn out to be true at all.

For me Civ V is easily the best Civ game in terms of its visuals. And again, kinda ironic since it's actually one of my least fav games in the series. But I loved the look of it. Whereas I really struggle with Civ VI's graphics.

8. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

I loved the way larger cities sprawled in Civ V (the little buildings on the edges). My biggest issue with Civ VI cities are, despite the fact that we have districts and the cities are supposed to take up several times and feel larger and more sprawled, the artwork fails in meshing the districts together (when you do actually build the districts adjacent to one another). Looks wayyy too disjointed in my opinion.

nzcamel, Leyrann, qadams and 6 others like this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I like the new graphics but the districts are weird, and not how a real city looks.

nzcamel and qadams like this.
  10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I do find it much easier to quickly pick out hill tiles at a glance in Civ 5 compared to Civ 6.

nzcamel, 679x, Meluhhan and 2 others like this.
  11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I can't tell grasslands from plains half the time.

12. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I think only jungle hills are really hard to make out.^^

13. Rup

Rup Warlord

Some districts looks f'in beautiful when it is placed adjacent to city centre or another district which is adjacent to the city centre but those looks really weird when it is at least one tile away.I love the way it looks in the first scenario but I do think it would be even better if the building sprawled out of city centre like in CIV V.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I don't think forests look ugly - even if the trees are 2D, they look much denser than Civ VI small groups of trees. They even got leaves in the colours of autumn when you approached cold areas.

I agree that Civ V uses very small houses, wonders and almost unnoticable palace. While the city looks bigger and more populated, it's quite bad when you want these to take a whole tile. You have to enlarge something. But! Civ VI, on the other hand, is way too oversized. As others have said, Civ VI cities don't look like cities, but a very small group of big houses, where wonders are bigger than your cities, and districts are way too disjointed. As I said earlier, Civ VII could take something from both games, and create a mixture.

I just have this feelings about graphics in these games: Civ VI gives me feel of map, Civ V gives me feel of a world.

I remember playing as Venice. My neighbours were Ottomans, and I captured a well positioned canal city from them when Suleiman attacked me. Next to this city was Edirne, and with it being near to my Empire, I could watch how it transformed from a small town into a great metropolis with the buildings sprawling out of the hex edges.

15. row2infinity

row2infinity Chieftain

I think it would work better if they designed each district tile with more of a grid overlay rather than little circular arrangements of buildings. Would probably be tough with the hex layout, but a series of gridded hexes oriented in the same direction clustered together with some creative meshing in between would make the cities feel a lot more cohesive to me.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Guandao

You want tiny wonders then? :p
    The Cities in Civ6 have more variety to the architecture according to the Civ. The Civ5 cities only had about 4-5 different styles (European, Middle Eastern, Asian, Amerindian, Polynesian (a reskin of the Asian style). Modern "Asian" Cities were all greenish with some Taipei 101 looking buildings.....but the modern city architecture is something Civ6 drops the ball on. (It all looks the same for every Civ, except for the palace). :(

Civ5 world is still like a map, because it's flat...:p

Zaarin and Rup like this.
  17. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

nzcamel likes this.
  18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I don't want wonders that are bigger than the city, and I don't want cities to be a group of three/four skyscrappers + palace if it's capital :p

You forgot Mediterranean for Civs like Venetians or Romans :p But I am as much variety for as many architectural styles for cities and palaces as possible. And different models for units, too.
    Palaces in Civ V are barely noticable, palaces in Civ VI are ridiculously oversized, like everything :p But Civ VI has one problem against Civ V in architecture... While in both games, Brazil has Amerindian architectural style, in Civ VI, their palace is just ridiculous, it's something that looks like Maya/Aztec pyramid :p (at least Civ V gave Brazil European music...)

Yes, but at least the graphics allow me to forget it's a map :p I can't get the feeling in Civ VI (but I guess it's not just the graphics, by the fact that Civ VI world is designed to look like a map, with areas I discovered but can't see looking like their sketches on a map, undiscovered areas being paper with compases, monsters and ships on it, and the Southern/Northern edge of the world also looking like a map edges)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  19. Guandao

But if the wonders are tinier than the cities, how will the Wonder movies work? :p It's not as awe inspiring to see the construction of a smaller wonder....
    I never noticed any palace buildings in Civ5. I guess you never played Civ4 (to be honest, I only played Civ4 briefly before returning to Civ5 :p, but Civ6's artstyle draws a lot of inspiration from Civ4) .....and fell in love with Civ5's "realistic" graphics. :lol: But yes, Brazil needs a new palace model.
    Brazil still has a "European" derived musical theme. It's not like they gave indigenous Amazonian music to Brazil in Civ6.

Hopefully, Civ7's world doesn't look like a map.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Alas no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.