All Quiet on the Civ Front

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if the wonders are tinier than the cities, how will the Wonder movies work? :p It's not as awe inspiring to see the construction of a smaller wonder....
Wonder movies can be done in other ways than showing the building being built in game graphics - civ VI is the first to do this. It's a good idea, but not necessary.

at least Civ V gave Brazil European music...
*Sigh* I know that I'm talking to a wall here, but Chega is quite certainly not European music (although all music in civ V, as in civ VI, is heavily stylized in European style). And why would anyone ever think of giving Brazil, one of the nations with the most unique musical culture on the planet nowadays, a non-Brazilian theme? It's like giving America a bonus when choosing Monarchy... [and no, it doesn't make any sense at all to use westernized indigenous music for civ brazil].

There was a small update, tho...

But if the wonders are tinier than the cities, how will the Wonder movies work? :p It's not as awe inspiring to see the construction of a smaller wonder....
They could do this the same way they did in Civ IV :p

I guess you never played Civ4 (to be honest, I only played Civ4 briefly before returning to Civ5 :p, but Civ6's artstyle draws a lot of inspiration from Civ4)
No, the first time I came over Civ franchise was a YouTube video with Civ VI leaders. This sparkled my interest, since I love strategy games and I love history, and I eventually got to playing Civ VI and V, but not IV.

Hopefully, Civ7's world doesn't look like a map.
Mixture of Civ V and Civ VI styles would be nice.

*Sigh* I know that I'm talking to a wall here, but Chega is quite certainly not European music (although all music in civ V, as in civ VI, is heavily stylized in European style). And why would anyone ever think of giving Brazil, one of the nations with the most unique musical culture on the planet nowadays, a non-Brazilian theme? It's like giving America a bonus when choosing Monarchy... [and no, it doesn't make any sense at all to use westernized indigenous music for civ brazil].
I meant the choice of European ambient music over Amerindian, not the main theme, which of course is unique for every country.

They could do this the same way they did in Civ IV :p

That requires a lot more work though (animating its plans, construction and the surroundings, would a Statue of Liberty built in Beijing have a background that looks like NYC? :p). I like to notice my wonders on the map, so seeing tiny wonders is meh....

The game is meant to be unrealistic. :dunno:

That requires a lot more work though (animating its plans, construction and the surroundings, would a Statue of Liberty built in Beijing have a background that looks like NYC? :p). I like to notice my wonders on the map, so seeing tiny wonders is meh...
Then we could return to Civ V paintings :p Not ideal solution, but I guess it could do... But I agree that Civ V wonders are waaay too small and unnoticeable. And often they appear in very strange locations :p

The game is meant to be unrealistic. :dunno:
At least I can hope for Civ VII to have graphics less flashy with things not being ridiculously oversized like in Civ VI. And don't get me started on leaders and their backgrounds (and their characters often forcibly bended to fit their sometimes silly agendas) :p

Then we could return to Civ V paintings :p Not ideal solution, but I guess it could do... But I agree that Civ V wonders are waaay too small and unnoticeable. And often they appear in very strange locations :p

At least I can hope for Civ VII to have graphics less flashy with things not being ridiculously oversized like in Civ VI. And don't get me started on leaders and their backgrounds (and their characters often forcibly bended to fit their sometimes silly agendas) :p

The Civ5 wonder paintings were boring.....:sleep:
What's the problem with oversized buildings? :p
Not all the Civ6 leaders look horribly cartoonish (ex: Hojo Tokimune, Cyrus, etc). Backgrounds are bland, I'll agree with that, and agendas can be silly. The Civ5 leaderscreens might look realistic, but the leaders barely moved (except for a few like Harald Bluetooth, Pachacuti), looking rather wooden and stiff. Remember Ramesses's skinny legs? :p

So how about combining the movements of Civ6 leaders with the realism of Civ5 leaders for Civ7?

What's the problem with oversized buildings? :p
The typical "cities" of modern era of my empire are: monument, granary, 3-4 skyscrappers. They don't look like cities. Especially when they are compared to large groups of buildings in Civ V.

Not all the Civ6 leaders look horribly cartoonish (ex: Hojo Tokimune, Cyrus, etc). Backgrounds are bland, I'll agree with that, and agendas can be silly. The Civ5 leaderscreens might look realistic, but the leaders barely moved (except for a few like Harald Bluetooth, Pachacuti), looking rather wooden and stiff. Remember Ramesses's skinny legs? :p
It's not just about their look, although some look ridiculous, like Gandhi, Pedro II or Qin Shi Huang. Some look indeed well. But it's also their characters, that can become too much focused on their agenda. This is the sad case of whining trio: Pedro, Qin & Monty, or Cyrus the Great being reduced from a great Persian king who created the grand Achaemenid Empire, and who is celebrated even in Bible, to a mere scheming backstabber (though his VA, model and animations are good - I get the feel of power from him speaking and moving).
Leaders in Civ V may be "wooden", but it wasn't a big issue to me. Some were quite energic (Ahmad al-Mansur was moving quite a lot, if I remember well), and some were understandable not to move much (90 years old Enrico Dandolo :p). but at least they were able to say no/yes, ask me what I want, or just being able to greet me, unlike Civ VI's leaders that are just sighing, nodding, shaking their heads, rolling eyes or waving their hands :p
About Ramesses, I sort of remember his legs, him having boring theme (the peace one, the war theme is decent), him sounding bored and arrogant... and speaking Egyptian Arabic :p And I remember him sitting on a throne, which is something Civ VI is lacking - different leader poses (sitting on throne, horse, and even lying).

So how about combining the movements of Civ6 leaders with the realism of Civ5 leaders for Civ7?
That would be nice. But I'm not fully convinced if agendas should be kept.

But I'm not fully convinced if agendas should be kept.

They are okay, but should have a much smaller impact in the whole diplomacy game.

Wonder movies can be done in other ways than showing the building being built in game graphics - civ VI is the first to do this. It's a good idea, but not necessary.

Am I the only one who actually prefers the images from Civ V? Seeing an artistic interpretation of the wonder in its natural setting at the appropriate time, always seemed to help give the quote a bit more gravitas. Not that the VI quotes are much to write home about... (RIP Chichen Itza).

You will probably hate EU and CK then. There are some goals and things to shoot for to sort of guide your hand, but more or less it is just an abstract score that you are playing for. I do enjoy both, but when comparing Civ to EU I feel like Civ is much more of a game. Having fun in the moment seems to be at the forefront of the experience and you are playing something. EU is much more a simulation and feels more like work and you are "playing" a spreadsheet. I don't think its ever really fun in the moment, even though the totality of the experience is. It is a very different kind of game and if you are not interested in that style can be VERY off-putting.

Ugh, and EU4 doesn't have one either? I thought about trying EU4, but without a win condition count me out. I kind of need that. It's one reason I play Civilization so much now. Because it's a fairly short game, where as I tend to get bored of my longer RPG's after 50 or so hours. I could never even play Witcher 3 far enough to see the expansions I bought and paid for. I don't want something that drags on and on.

Does anyone here regularly play any of the civ games "just one more turn"? Meaning after you win the game. I thought about it, but never actually did it. I thought about how big I can get my cities, but I'm just not that interested in playing for "nothing".

I really hope Civ games don't go down this road. I already see Civ6 as being the most "sandbox-y" of the bunch, I hope they don't really push that too far.

Very funny timing...

Steam haloween sale today, EU4 is at $10.99...

Just bought the Empire Founder pack (game + art of war, common sense and rights of man expansions) for $37.31 Canadian dollars... Just bored out of my mind lately with games, might as well try it out ;-)

The typical "cities" of modern era of my empire are: monument, granary, 3-4 skyscrappers. They don't look like cities. Especially when they are compared to large groups of buildings in Civ V.
It's not just about their look, although some look ridiculous, like Gandhi, Pedro II or Qin Shi Huang. Some look indeed well. But it's also their characters, that can become too much focused on their agenda. This is the sad case of whining trio: Pedro, Qin & Monty, or Cyrus the Great being reduced from a great Persian king who created the grand Achaemenid Empire, and who is celebrated even in Bible, to a mere scheming backstabber (though his VA, model and animations are good - I get the feel of power from him speaking and moving).
Leaders in Civ V may be "wooden", but it wasn't a big issue to me. Some were quite energic (Ahmad al-Mansur was moving quite a lot, if I remember well), and some were understandable not to move much (90 years old Enrico Dandolo :p). but at least they were able to say no/yes, ask me what I want, or just being able to greet me, unlike Civ VI's leaders that are just sighing, nodding, shaking their heads, rolling eyes or waving their hands :p
About Ramesses, I sort of remember his legs, him having boring theme (the peace one, the war theme is decent), him sounding bored and arrogant... and speaking Egyptian Arabic :p And I remember him sitting on a throne, which is something Civ VI is lacking - different leader poses (sitting on throne, horse, and even lying).
That would be nice. But I'm not fully convinced if agendas should be kept.

But the "large groups of buildings" in Civ5 didn't look nice, a bunch of small cluttered buildings with basically the same color. :p I'm guessing you hate districts and want all the buildings to belong in the cities. But Civ5 didn't even bother to depict any of the buildings in the cities (except for a few, like the Colosseum).

Ahmad al-Mansur's characterization in Civ5 was completely wrong. He wasn't a nice guy like in the game, he sacked the Songhai Empire.....I dislike his background too, some tent in the desert, why not show the glory of Marrakesh behind him?

No, I don't need leaders on a throne anymore, the ones in Civ5 barely moved from their seats, except for Attila (standing up briefly in intro,but doesn't even stand up when declared war upon) and Pachacuti (the only leader to stand up during wartime). Elizabeth I's movements were boring. Nebby threw his cup at you and that was it. :p Harun al-Rashid was one of the most stiff ones, all he did was move his arm when war was declared upon him.

Am I the only one who actually prefers the images from Civ V? Seeing an artistic interpretation of the wonder in its natural setting at the appropriate time, always seemed to help give the quote a bit more gravitas. Not that the VI quotes are much to write home about... (RIP Chichen Itza).

I like both. The Civ 5 wonder win screens were classy and great to see, especially since the wonders were mostly quite useful and more times than not I was never sure if I would be beaten to it or not. Big sigh of relief every time one would come up.

The Civ 6 animations are beautiful in a completely different way, and I like that it shows the wonder in the setting where you've built it.

Mines are definitely easier to spot in Civ V. I remember when Civ VI came out I was asking on here how could you spot if a jungle tile had hills on it, it was very hard to distinguish between a flat jungle tile and a jungle hill. (eventually I brought up yields and if it was a 2 food 2 production tile it was a jungle hill)

I prefer the look of farms in Civ VI though. The graphics are better some, but the colour of them looks prettier too. Then again, I think tundra and desert look better in Civ V. They look more natural and a bit more detailed.

When I tried out Stellaris, I never got around to liking the fact that the game should be played without specific winning goals, more like a simulation... Are Ck2 and EU4 in the same mold ? I'm willing to try one of them, probably more EU4, but I've pretty much defined that I need specific winning goals to really enjoy spending hundred
of hours learning to play a game properly

I played CK2 a lot before it became overstuffed with DLC. You have a more or less default goal in keeping your dynasty alive, and while you can invent your own objectives beyond the character focus adds an RPG element that makes it an organic process - you'll actually find yourself developing feuds with other characters that you get invested in pursuing, or want to eradicate specific lineages. I've tried EU4 and couldn't get into it precisely because it lacked that element.

I'm looking forward to the next big Stellaris update to get back into that, but as I recall it was more of a classic 4x than a Paradox 'grand strategy' game and had set victory conditions.

As to learning to play properly, I agree that Paradox games have a steep learning curve - but they also have a pretty shallow plateau if CK2 is typical. The actual actions you take throughout a CK game are pretty rinse-and-repeat and it's a weakness of Paradox games generally that they don't have enough diversity or 'meat' soon after release to last the length of a full game. CK2 wasn't able to sustain more than a few generations without excessive repetition of quests when I last played, and the game had been extended back to the 9th Century without enough material to really support that (given that the game had originally been designed to start been two centuries later). This was an especially pronounced issue with Stellaris when I played that soon after release, and I found the event chains too scripted with too little consequence - I got heavily invested in a story about a subterranean race found on one of my moons ... only for them to just amount to a couple of pops on the moon once the storyline was done, and then sometime later the same quest chain repeated. I also came across improbable numbers of alien artefacts in nearby systems (with no one expressing any detectable interest in the first evidence of aliens) long before running into any actual aliens.

Hey ya'll, There is set of Leaked Pictures on the Civ reddit, supposedly of what is going on Behind the scenes. To avoid any spoilers, That is all I am Going to say.

Holy! I took a look and it looks like a
Spoiler secret :
Polynesian
leader! :D How did Firaxis let that slip? Or maybe it was their intention all along? :p

I think it's three pictures, a supposed name, and a supposed release date. I won't offer details in this thread. In the expansion details thread, however...

Last edited:
Vesuvius, eh? Kind of an odd name. There's the obvious association with natural disasters, but I'm not sure why else they'd choose that name.

If this is real, it represents the best case scenario on all these updates taking place. I thought it was much too early for an expansion, but it seems like we may get one as soon as mid-February!

Last edited:
i don't see anything on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom