Sith or Jedi?

• Sith

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Jedi

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Chuck Norris

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Moderator Action: Please focus discussion on Star Wars and let us not head down the road of current politics.

I've read everything from: "Best Trek ever" to "Worst Trek ever".. which I suppose is rather predictable given that we're dealing with Star Trek fans..
:huh:

Okay, I get that you don't understand the give-and-take and various ongoing fan squabbles pertaining to Trek. But how about not tarring the entire fandom with the same brush, 'k?

The whole "best/worst of the franchise" argument has been going on for decades, no matter what franchise is being talked about. People are doing it in this very thread, arguing about which Star Wars movie was the best and which was the worst. People argue over which Bond movie and/or actor was the best/worst.

FFS, people argue over which Disney remake was the best/worst (not sure how many variations there are now of the Dean Jones/Kurt Russell movies that came out in the '60s and '70s, not to mention the remakes of Freaky Friday and The Parent Trap, but IMNRHO the remakes did not need to happen).

Don't put it all on Trekkers.

:huh:

Okay, I get that you don't understand the give-and-take and various ongoing fan squabbles pertaining to Trek. But how about not tarring the entire fandom with the same brush, 'k?.

Did you mis-read my post? I had to go back and re-read it, and.. What you're upset about is me saying that I've heard a wide range of opinions about Star Trek: Discovery, ranging from "the best" to "the worst". I don't understand why that is upsetting.

Did you mis-read my post? I had to go back and re-read it, and.. What you're upset about is me saying that I've heard a wide range of opinions about Star Trek: Discovery, ranging from "the best" to "the worst". I don't understand why that is upsetting.
That's not what I'm upset about. It's the attitude that bickering over the best/worst is typical of Star Trek fans.

It's typical of any franchise's fans. Not just Trek fans.

That's not what I'm upset about. It's the attitude that bickering over the best/worst is typical of Star Trek fans.

It's typical of any franchise's fans. Not just Trek fans.

Huh? Re-read what I wrote. My point was that Trek fans are more likely to hold a wide variety of views since the fanbase is so big and diverse and there is so much media to choose from.. and it's been around for a while.. and Trek fans have the tendency to only stick to some of it and ignore the rest. That doesn't happen so much in other franchises (although it does in some), not nearly to the same extent, leading to more diversity in the views among the fanbase.

I'm a Trek fan too by the way, so if I was insulting Trek fans, I was also insulting myself. But I wasn't

Wrong Star [four-letter-word] cash cow of a megafranchise, people.

Wrong Star [four-letter-word] cash cow of a megafranchise, people.
It's called "conversation drift" and there is a long-running Trek/Wars fan feud on some issues, person.

@warpus, if that's what you meant, it's what you should have said.

I did say that. You don't have to read into every single comment I write about Star Trek to pull out things that offend you for whatever reason. You aren't the protector of all things Star Trek. We're a very diverse fanbase and there's all sorts of opinions around, including many that run against your opinions, and mine. and that's fine.

But to stay on topic. The latest Mandalorian episode didn't really keep my interest. Even though it was sort of interesting. I think the fact that character development has been better (much better?) on St-DSC is impacting my opinion here. Everything is still very 2 dimensional on the Mandalorian, and they don't use the filler episodes to flesh out these characters more.. you'd think they'd do that since they have less episodes to work with. But Star Wars has lately been this strange beast where they don't do much character development and rely on secondary materials to flesh everything out. That's kind of lame. I hope this season improves.

I did say that.
Nowhere I noticed.

You don't have to read into every single comment I write about Star Trek to pull out things that offend you for whatever reason. You aren't the protector of all things Star Trek. We're a very diverse fanbase and there's all sorts of opinions around, including many that run against your opinions, and mine. and that's fine.
I'm the protector of my POV. As for the rest, I already said that. YEARS ago.

That post wasn't addressed to you anyway, and the person who it was addressed to understood it perfectly. I see no problem here.
Addressed or not, it's a public forum.

Obviously you don't see a problem with tarring all fans with the same brush. I do. That's the core of my annoyance with this whole issue.

Like whatever the hell you like. Just don't say all fans of whatever franchise act or believe the same. They don't.

It's a fact that fans of whatever franchise will have their preferences and dislikes and will defend what they want to defend and be negative about what they don't like. I'm just asking you not to act as though only ST fans do that. I've experienced this in numerous fandoms, both pre-internet (fanac existed back then, and was started by a generation that is mostly dead now, of old age, because it started in the 1920s) and in the internet age.

My problems with Star Trek and Star Wars fandom are well documented. They only extend to those who yell the loudest about things that don't really matter and those who inject a certain toxicity into the fanbase.

Why would I ever speak out against all Star Trek fans? I am one of them. Makes no sense to speak out against myself. In the post you are referring to, I am talking about the diversity of views in the Star Trek fanbase. Hardly something to get upset about.

My problems with Star Trek and Star Wars fandom are well documented. They only extend to those who yell the loudest about things that don't really matter and those who inject a certain toxicity into the fanbase.

Why would I ever speak out against all Star Trek fans? I am one of them. Makes no sense to speak out against myself. In the post you are referring to, I am talking about the diversity of views in the Star Trek fanbase. Hardly something to get upset about.
That particular type of diversity is present in all fandoms. That's my point.

And at least I'm not arguing over the color of some special effect (ie. color of the warp nacelles or the color of a particular character's light sabre (not saying you are, but many fans go utterly ballistic over that sort of thing, which I would consider extreme).

I've read several theories on what Moff Gideon was experimenting on at the imperial base on Nevarro and what exactly were in those tanks, but I'm curious what people on here think was going on.
Spoiler :
The most popular theory seems to be that it's related to the Emperor's attempts to imbue force sensitivity into clones (i.e. Snoke), but I don't feel like the show will go that route and connect it so strongly to the ST. I think more likely he's working on his own to create force sensitive troopers or possibly even looking for a way to inject Midi-chlorians into himself to become force sensitive.

I've read several theories on what Moff Gideon was experimenting on at the imperial base on Nevarro and what exactly were in those tanks, but I'm curious what people on here think was going on.
Spoiler :
The most popular theory seems to be that it's related to the Emperor's attempts to imbue force sensitivity into clones (i.e. Snoke), but I don't feel like the show will go that route and connect it so strongly to the ST. I think more likely he's working on his own to create force sensitive troopers or possibly even looking for a way to inject Midi-chlorians into himself to become force sensitive.
Spoiler Mandalorian S2E4 :
Didn't Palpatine's theme play during the clone vat scene?

Actually, I don't think these are mutually exclusive. Gideon seems the ambitious sort all the while being a loyalist. The research is, at the very least, adjacent. I wouldn't be surprised if he's running a sideshow wherein he's seeking Force sensitivity for himself or for a resurgent army.

Spoiler Mandalorian S2E4 :
Didn't Palpatine's theme play during the clone vat scene?

Actually, I don't think these are mutually exclusive. Gideon seems the ambitious sort all the while being a loyalist. The research is, at the very least, adjacent. I wouldn't be surprised if he's running a sideshow wherein he's seeking Force sensitivity for himself or for a resurgent army.
Spoiler :
It was a similar sounding theme, but definitely different. I think it was only to evoke something forbidding.

As far as the other, we don't know for sure whether Gideon is working for Palpatine or if he is merely a "warlord" bent on restoring the Empire. I tend to think any research being done at the behest of Palpatine would be conducted on Exegol, anyway, not some minor, lightly defended imperial base. I just don't believe Favreau/Filoni will go that route to directly tie the series to the ST even though in interviews there were some hints about foreshadowing the rise of the First Order. I think your last sentence is the most probable at this point with the information we have.

Something else I wonder is whether the Dark Troopers seen at the end of the episode are droids like in Dark Forces, or elite troopers like the Death Troopers.

Syn-chan!!!! [party]

Since we're discussing clones (won't spoiler the bits from/about the Mandalorian): what was Snoke a clone of?

Syn-chan!!!! [party]

Since we're discussing clones (won't spoiler the bits from/about the Mandalorian): what was Snoke a clone of?

Snoke was an attempt at creating a shell that could withstand Palpatine's Force energy. I'm not sure that he was ever a clone of, like, a specific person, but they used clone vats to create him and his many failed predecessors. Because he wasn't suitable for possession, he was just used as a proxy (i.e. he had free will and thoughts and wasn't "Palpatine in a can").

Apparently their in-canon name is "strandcast."

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Strand-Cast

Top Bottom