Alternate Leader for Japan?

Who would be the best/most interesting choice for another Japanese leader?

• Tokugawa Ieyasu

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Oda Nobunaga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Just having a hard time deciding who'd be the best/most interesting choice for Civ 6. Perhaps a leader we've already had, or someone new I'm overlooking? Feel free to state your opinion and reasoning. :)

Someone from Heian era or even,
a female leader as I expect?

I like Heian era because it was the peak of Japanese literacy (or bureaucracy) culture.
We shouldn't limit Japan to only wars and samurais right?

On top of it,
all those warring lords are already used and used and used in many other games,
and also previous Civ series.

Recycling them sounds no fun.

Last edited:
Someone from Heian era or even,
a female leader as I expect?

I like Heian era because it was the peak of Japanese literacy (or bureaucracy) culture.
We shouldn't limit Japan to only wars and samurais right?

On top of it,
all those warring lords are already used and used and used in many other games,
and also previous Civ series.

Recycling them sounds no fun.
Did you have a particular leader from the Heian period in mind? A brief bout of research isn't turning up (m)any names for me.

Queen Himiko would be legendary but fun. She has appeared in that weird Civ offshoot known as Civ Rev II.

Prince Shotoku could work for religion, but Hojo is already plenty religious.

Oda and Tokugawa are rather dull by now, surely? The series has never made them particularly interesting diplomacy wise since IV (where Ieyasu was ahistorically portrayed as anti-West and anti-trading; in reality it was his successors who were).

I will add that I don't think a secondary Japanese leader is priority now; more so for Egypt and China I would say.

Depends on era , I want female leader better. For male if they wanna add from that famous sengoku era , then add the one who unified it Toyotomi Hideoshi. Himiko would be interesting too , more religious approach.

Did you have a particular leader from the Heian period in mind? A brief bout of research isn't turning up (m)any names for me.

Sadly I don't have any candidates in mind. Although Heian period was the time that the elegance of Japanese culture reached its peak (the literature, architecture and gardens, lores of yokai, and clumsy manners), most emperors remained controlled by his regents/close relatives and weak. I cannot locate any strong rulers that can rival other choices. Pity that it is my favorite period in Japanese history.

+1 for emperor Meiji

It seems to me that Japan is very near the bottom of the list in terms of civs that need alternate leaders. Hojo represents Japan very well, even if a lot of people hadn't heard of him before. I'd much rather see a new leader for Egypt, France, England, or even China.

Himiko, Okubo Toshimichi, and Meiji sound like fun choices. However, I thought there was some reason why Japan wouldn't want to see Meiji represented? Also agreed that I wouldn't mind seeing a second Japanese leader after some of the other civs that are in more desperate need of a second leader like Egypt and China.

However, I thought there was some reason why Japan wouldn't want to see Meiji represented?
I believe the imperial family objects to depictions of its members.

Top Bottom