alternate mounts for civs that originated in locations without mounts

Can Russian Cossacks ride bears? :mischief:

Meese and Geese for Canada or bust,

optional feature.

the native north americans could ride bison, mastodons, and horses. the native south Americans could ride giant llamas.

the sub saharan africans could ride zebras and elephants

the Australians could ride Megalania/Varanus
Zebras are infamously onery and utterly untamable, even to modern methods, unlike their fellow equines.

Mastadons, Megalania, and Veranus were extinct before 4000 BC, so were Western Hemisphere equines, and they were too small.

Were there giant llamas? If so, I get the idea they were extinct by 4000 BC.

Can Russian Cossacks ride bears? :mischief:
There is a very good (several, in fact), why large carnivores are not ridden as mounts.
England needs to ride eagles, for reasons
no that's an american thing
Or a New Zealand (Middle Earth) thing. :mischief:
Riding eagles by anyone, anywhere, is just ridiculous.
Meese and Geese for Canada or bust,
Sweden and the Khanty people of what is now the Western Siberian part of Russia tried moose cavalry, and both attempts were failures. Geese, really?

Last edited:
I think you gravely overestimate the seriousness of our posts.

Serious options can be summed up thusly: camels. Having exhausted the potential of that discussion, the rest of us are having fun with the idea.

Serious options can be summed up thusly: camels. Having exhausted the potential of that discussion, the rest of us are having fun with the idea.
I mean for obvious reasons elephants too. Well at least the Asiatic and potentially North African variety.

I mean elephants are less of a horse alternative and more of a completely different animal that also has military applications. But yes.

I mean elephants are less of a horse alternative and more of a completely different animal that also has military applications. But yes.
I mean in game they are also used as mounts and are the most realistic option, besides the camel, instead of horses. :)

Elephant and horse armies were always good armies in the far past but camels were known to stink which made them have a sort of horse repellent. I'm not sure for Elephant repellent or how far that goes. 🤔

Zebras are infamously onery and utterly untamable, even to modern methods, unlike their fellow equines.

Mastadons, Megalania, and Veranus were extinct before 4000 BC, so were Western Hemisphere equines, and they were too small.

Were there giant llamas? If so, I get the idea they were extinct by 4000 BC.

There is a very good (several, in fact), why large carnivores are not ridden as mounts.

Riding eagles by anyone, anywhere, is just ridiculous.

Sweden and the Khanty people of what is now the Western Siberian part of Russia tried moose cavalry, and both attempts were failures. Geese, really?
This is an optional game feature that is opt-in, to make Mesoamerican, Subsaharan Africa, and Australian civilizations equal with Eurasian/North African civs.

The realistic game feature would be to restrict those civs from ever getting mounts or things to drive a plow with, which means they are eternally stuck at the bottom tier.

This is an optional game feature that is opt-in, to make Mesoamerican, Subsaharan Africa, and Australian civilizations equal with Eurasian/North African civs.
Not sure how that makes them equal?
But nevertheless, I can get behind this as an optional mode, considering Scout Cats already officially exist.

The realistic game feature would be to restrict those civs from ever getting mounts or things to drive a plow with, which means they are eternally stuck at the bottom tier.
But, civ's who had no mount animals, but still agriculture, like the Eastern Woodlands, Aridamerica, Mesoamerica, and Andean Pre-Columbian New World civ's, a fair number of civ's in Sub-Saharan Africa who had agriculture, but no mount animal prior to the Colonial days, and a number of Melanesian and Polynesian civ's, got agricultrural development, and many other basic - and in some cases, intermediate - tech advances, without a mount animal to pull the plow.

Top Bottom