America: Home of the Brave

Yea on the Infrrastructure Development act
Nay on the Strengthen and Protect America Act

As a Democrat, it is my duty to make sure the the will of the people are heard over the will of the federal government. I believe SAPAA is not in our best interests in the moment, as we have domestic issues to attend to.

Congressman Guay votes Yea on the Infrastructure Development Act.

Congressman Guay votes Yea on Milkwright Bill of 1864.

Congressman Guay votes Nay on the Strengthen And Protect America Act. However he is willing to propose a comprise act; the The National Defense Act of 1864

This act entails the following:
1. The protection of the right for every state to establish its own organized, single regiment, militia force. This force would be solely under the command of the state's Commander-in-Chief; giving it an exemption from mandatory federal service.
2. State forces would also be established as the supreme military authority in their state, meaning federal forces are subordinate to them. If federal forces are not compliant, they may be removed to federally owned land at the discretion of the governor and a majority vote of the state's legislature.
3. Provision of funding to enlist six FEDERAL Riflemen regiments. (As mentioned in the Strengthen And Protect America Act)
4. Provision of funding to enlist four FEDERAL Cannon regiments. (As mentioned in the Strengthen And Protect America Act)
5. The naming of all federal military ships after past American figures. I nominate George Washington as the first person to receive this honor.

I believe the ideas pertaining to political instability would be better suited for a separate act; the The State Dissidence Act of 1864

It would:
1. Ensure harsh penalties should any state attempt to secede from the Union, enforceable through limited military action.
2. Formally denounce pro-slavery rhetoric in the South and guarantee that slavery shall never become legal again. (As mentioned in the Strengthen And Protect America Act)

As a firm believer in states' rights, Congressman Jon Nooblsey II of Michigan votes Yea on the National Defense Act of 1864 and the State Dissidence Act of 1864.

NDA of 1864

Yea: 4

Nay: 2

Passed

SDA of 1864

Nay: 1

Passed

Spoiler :
To make amendments more clear, I've decided now that I shall only allow amendments to a bill if there is no way a bill would pass unless Congressmen change their votes.

For example, since we have 6 Congressmen, if a bill gets 4 Nays, then that bill may be amended.

This rule takes into effect for every bill after this post.

Congressman Smith votes Nay on the National Defense Act of 1864.

There is no constitutional ground for section 2 of this act. The Federal government is above the state government, and this includes matters of defense. In the event of an invasion, under this bill, how would we coordinate strategy? If each state governor can do as he wishes with the forces in his state, even if they are under the command of the commissioned officers of Congress, how will we ever have a unified strategy to defend the state? As much as I appreciate the motion to compromise, I cannot, as a firm Unitarian and believer in the power of the federal government, vote for this bill.

However, I will vote Yea on the State Dissidence Act of 1864, as it contains measures that I already have proposed in my own bill.

The National Defense Act of 1864 = Nay

I ask the amount of cannons and riflemen enlisted be halfed.

State Dissidence Act of 1864 = Nay

This is an outrage! Here you have a country clearly on the brink of splintering into three, possibly four countries, and you push for an even stricter bill against free speach of consideration of secession. May I remind the delegates that the country was founded on states for the idea that a federal government would not corrupt and conquer individual states, but instead would foster freedom through local democracy.

My state is very nearing the snapping point, and I feel Quebec and the South feels the same way!

- Milkwright Bill of 1864 - Yea.
- Infrastructure Development Act - Yea.
- National Defense Act of 1864 -Yea.
- State Dissidence Act of 1864 - Yea.

Anton L. (UP-NY) pleads once again for a National Union ticket in this time of crises. The only chance that we have to maintain unity is to forget about our states interests now, because we have a bigger problema now. And I should remember the Vice President that plotting against the Union is a crime that may lead to your impeachment...

To secede over a lack of infrastructure that is even now being rectified through Congressional action is patently ridiculous. To secede to re-institute an abominable and horrendous institution is also patently ridiculous. And, as my Unitarian partner Congressman Guay would agree, local autonomy is quite different than outright secession.

What you and other secessionists seek, Congressman, is nothing short of treason and a desecration of all the principles that our forefathers fought and died for. You seek to destroy this union and all of the good it has done for the sake of infrastructure, an important yet petty claim to go to war over.

Come, and sip from the cup of reason. Let the workers that we, together, have provided funding for stand as an example of what democratic action can do and what our great Union can do. We can, together, work to make America greater than it already is.

Consider the following, Senator Smith:
The National Defense Act of 1864 is an elaboration of our nation's second amendment right. In these times of instability our states need to be able assure their defense from natives and unjust forces alike. This is even without immediate consent of the national government.

Implicitly state governments would have the will to defend their homeland, thus not expelling federal forces in time of need. A specific clause stating such would be unneeded. Do you forget we are dealing with our fellow Americans? The national army's authority should not be based on the threat of force; it is not an occupying body and frankly our states are all voluntarily in this union.

In addition to this the act only recognizes a single regiment, thus there is no chance of the aforementioned force overthrowing the union.

I must ask, Senator, why are you so concerned over the expulsion of federal forces? What are federal forces capable of doing that local ones are not? I'm beginning to feel as if the Eastern States are plotting against the others. I will not stand for the occupation of land unjustly Quebec, just as the rest of our union, does not need this.

Senator Milkwright, you must recognize the atrocity that is slavery and that there is no place for it, even in its reconsideration, into our union.

The State Dissidence Act of 1864 is frankly as relaxed of act as you will ever receive toward such degeneracy. I must reiterate that in the original Strengthen And Protect America Act, state compliance would be limitlessly "enforceable through the Army and Navy of the United States". There is no stipulation pertaining to how long or how severe the punishment will be. My version calls for a "limited military action", which is drastically better for our nations economy and psyche.

I urge you both to reconsider your votes.

Spoiler :
OOC: On a side note, can we write about events happening inside of our own states?

Consider the following, Senator Smith:
The National Defense Act of 1864 is an elaboration of our nation's second amendment right. In these times of instability our states need to be able assure their defense from natives and unjust forces alike. This is even without immediate consent of the national government.

Implicitly state governments would have the will to defend their homeland, thus not expelling federal forces in time of need. A specific clause stating such would be unneeded. Do you forget we are dealing with our fellow Americans? The national army's authority should not be based on the threat of force; it is not an occupying body and frankly our states are all voluntarily in this union.

In addition to this the act only recognizes a single regiment, thus there is no chance of the aforementioned force overthrowing the union.

I must ask, Senator, why are you so concerned over the expulsion of federal forces? What are federal forces capable of doing that local ones are not? I'm beginning to feel as if the Eastern States are plotting against the others. I will not stand for the occupation of land unjustly Quebec, just as the rest of our union, does not need this.
My issue with the National Defense Act is that it superimposes the will of state governments over federal concerns. I have no issue with state militiamen being trained for local defense, but to give every state governor authority over federal troops in their territory is ridiculous. It practically is military suicide to divulge command over federal forces to different state governors. Any military man will tell you that to give command over several different men, men who might not even been in the military or have any experience, is an absolutely idiotic move.

I also have no objection to the right to expel federal forces, but the first part of section 2 will compromise our countries ability to defend against foreign powers.

On the matter of the "National Defence Act of 1864" The Congressman from Massachusetts, Adlar Koch, shall vote Yea.

Canada and the South

Even with the news of the Infrastructure Development Act passing through Congress, that still wasn't quite enough for the Northern states. The cities of Montreal and York seceded from the United States to form the nation of Canada. In doing so, the city of York was renamed to Toronto.

To begin talks with Canada, President McClellan traveled to Montreal and met with the Canadian Prime Minister (presidents aren't good enough these days, apparently), John A. MacDonald. MacDonald seemed to be of the interesting type, because McClellan persistently wrote about MacDonald's constant smolder. President McClellan had work to do, so he ignored it.

Prime Minister MacDonald and the rest of Canada was aware of the IDA, but they felt that the Canadian and Northern identity just wasn't the right fit with the United States, so they seceded peacefully. Prime Minister MacDonald wished President McClellan, along with the Congress, would respect their decision.

This left Congressman Guay in a tizzy; does he stay Canadian, or run in another state?

In other news, President McClellan formally denounced slavery and it's rhetoric in the Southern states. In doing so, the Southern states were outraged. Many local businesses and citizens protested near government offices, and many local churches organized sermons for anti-Abolitionist sentiments.

President McClellan was confused; he didn't know what else he could do to stop the South from clinging to their held beliefs on slavery. It seemed to be getting closer and closer that something appear from the chasm of their divided interests.

Oh, and President McClellan would also like to make note that a project of past presidents has been completed: a road from Seattle to the rest of the United States... But what is it to be called? Perhaps the Oregon Trail? No, that doesn't sound right.

However, during the time of an anti-Abolitionist movement, the plague had appeared in the southern states of Charleston and New Orleans. President McClellan immediately sent out aid relief to the South to help heal the sick and care for the weak and diseased, garnering the Democratic Party and President McClellan a healthy public image.

Whilst doing so, President McClellan created the state of Florida to the south of Georgia. The state of Florida was mainly created to grant statehood to the people living there, and to create a state that could be used as a military base, in case for any reason the United States wanted to take Cuba from Spain... Wait, did I just say that? This is off the record.

In accordance with the Milkwright Bill, the city of Salt Lake City was founded in the Rocky Mountains to ensure safe travel for any and all troops traveling through the mountains to the West, or from the west coast to the East. The city wasn't expected to grow too large; it's only lake and source of water was abnormally salty (hence the name), and the rest of the area was either desert or mountains.

The area mostly became a home for Mormons who needed somewhere to settle so that they could be free from judgement and/or persecution. President McClellan had a strong desire to name the state Utah, but for some reason he decided to instead create the state of Deseret.

Deseret took the area of what could have been the states of Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming. Where did those names come from? I don't know. Must be some places from another universe or something. Or China. You never really know at this point.

For a measly 10 gold, President McClellan was able to purchase a map of Canada from MacDonald. It was quite awkward for McClellan when he saw MacDonald sensually roll the map up and stab it at McClellan when the deal was made. Once the map was given to Congress, MacDonald washed his hands immediately.

What a weird guy.

After this, President McClellan stepped down after having become exhausted from the tension growing in the South and West. He was seen as an above-average president, seeing how he handled the plague in the South. What really tarnished his image was Canada seceding from the Union. McClellan did, however, strengthen the military. He wasn't able to produce all of the units that Congress had wanted in accordance to the NDA, but he did create two of the Riflemen, and one of the Cannons. He did send a settler to the S.S. Pinckney to be sent into the Pacific, though...

You win some, you lose some.​

Spoiler :
Having become too old for Congress, Congressman Jon Noobsley II has passed the torch to his son, Jon Noobsley III. Jon Noobsley III is also of the Democratic party.

Congressman Jon Noobsley III proposes the Canada Requisition Act of 1874.

Canada Requisition Act of 1874

- Article 1: Using the troops that will be created by the National Defense Act, we shall officially declare war on Canada.
- Article 2: The United States shall create 2 more Cannons, 2 Grenadiers, and 2 more Riflemen to be drafted into the war.
- Article 3: The states of Quebec and Ontario shall be welcomed back into the Union, should we win the war.
- Article 4: The cities of Radisson and Québec shall both be burned to the ground, should we capture them. The city of Québec would be refounded further north, closer to the British border and to a nearby lake.

Nay: 0

Passed

Congressman Jon Noobsley III of Michigan wishes to nominate Horace Greeley for the Democratic Party's nomination for the election of 1874.

In regards to the "Canada Requisition Act of 1874" The Congressman from Massachusetts, Adlar Koch shall vote Yea.

Top Bottom