America's Cup 40+ Knots!

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
I don't know how many of you have been paying any attention to the America's Cup this year, but it is radically different than any previous year. Instead of having traditional sloops that can make perhaps 14 knots or so in a stiff breeze, these hi-tech carbon fiber 72' multi-hull sailboats reach speeds of 40+ knots. They do this by "foiling" which means the only part of the craft in the water is the rudder and a daggerboard that can be hoisted out of the water with a lip on it about the size of a conventional surfboard. The main sail is 130 feet high and isn't a traditional sail at all. Instead it consists of two vertical wings made of carbon fiber called a "wing sail".

Spoiler :

It is so dangerous that all the competitors wear helmets and "impact vests" that look more like body armor than anything else.

Link to video.

During race 2 of the Louis Vuitton finals, the Team New Zealand boat stuck its nose in the water and came to a dead stop hurling two of the grinders overboard.

Link to video.

At present, the finals of the Louis Vuitton Cup are in progress. Whichever of the two remaining challengers wins will compete against the US for the cup. The Kiwis hold a 4-1 lead over the Italians in the best of 14 series.

Here are race 4 and 5 which occurred yesterday:

Link to video.

Unfortunately this race, at least locally, is considered mostly a failure due to the low number of entrants this year. Plus the dead sailor from a practice accident. The perception is that Larry Ellison basically bought the race and made it so stupidly expensive to play that no one could afford "his" race. I understand why he did it but it seems he overestimated the ability to galvanize public interest in what is still really a very niche sporting event by making it more "extreme" and bringing it close to a popular shore. It was sold to SF as this amazing Olympic level spectacle and it is pretty much not garnering any interest even close to that; everyone sort of thinks of it as a joke now. The only people going down to watch "the race" (i.e., one boat sailing around the Bay, with no one knowing what is going on) are tourists who are just stumbling around the Embarcadero anyway.

Also the fact that the Oracle team recently got busted for cheating does not help perception that the race is a joke. It is a shame, from a locals perspective, since it would be awesome to keep this around as an SF based international event(assuming Larry keeps winning it) if it were actually more of an "event" on par with other international sporting events.

I don't think it should be terribly surprising that those who don't really know much, if anything, about America's Cup competition would be criticizing Larry Ellison for trying to make the sport far more interesting to garner more attention. Not to mention the typical America's Cup provides far more revenue for the host city due to the number of teams competing and the duration of the event. They are understandably disappointed in that regard.

However, it has been "stupidly expensive" to compete at the highest level for many decades now.

Russell Coutts, chief executive of defending-champion Oracle Racing and a four-time Cup winner, said in an interview in Cascais, Portugal, that a 60 million-euro ($86 million) campaign would be “very, very competitive” and 30 million euros would produce a “budget team.” Oracle spent more than $100 million in the 2007 Cup, while China Team had the lowest budget at 14 million euros.

But at least now it is far more exciting and dangerous, which is typically the hallmark of actual racing endeavors. It is also far more accessible by spectators than in the past.

NY Times: A Sea Change for the America’s Cup

There is a moment when the yachts racing in this year’s America’s Cup go from being mere boats to something more like flying machines. It happens at around 17 knots, or 20 miles per hour, when both hulls of the carbon-fiber catamarans rise out of the water and the entire craft skims over the surface on a thin hydrofoil beneath the downwind pontoon. Free of the water’s drag, the vessels accelerate to speeds as great as 50 miles per hour.

The sportswriter Red Smith has been credited with remarking that the America’s Cup is about “as exciting as watching grass grow.” For most of the event’s 162-year history, racing took place far from shore and in heavy monohull boats that displaced lots of water and plodded around the courses at average speeds of around 10 miles per hour. But after winning the last cup in Valencia, Spain, in 2010, Larry Ellison, the billionaire software mogul and the owner of Oracle Team USA, pushed for changes to try to make things more exciting and spectator-friendly.

Because the cup’s charter — known as the Deed of Gift — permits the defender to choose the venue of the next competition, he was able to have it take place in San Francisco Bay, within sight of the shore, where organizers have put up grandstands. Ellison and his team also got the competition to accept a new boat design that features 131-foot-tall wing sails atop 72-foot-long hydroplaning catamarans. These yachts, called AC72s, now travel nearly four times as fast as the boats of old — and for sustained bursts they can move more than twice as fast as even the multihulls that competed in 2010. (Those craft didn’t hydrofoil.) John Rousmaniere, who writes about sailing and the history of the America’s Cup, describes them as “Indy cars without brakes.”

Getting spectators to embrace the souped-up sport has not been without challenges, however. Organizers were expecting as many as 12 teams to vie for the opportunity to take on Oracle Team USA in September, before racing began in July to determine the finalist. But the cost of an America’s Cup campaign — which can creep as high as $100 million for the expensive boats and more than three years of salaries for crew and support staff — deterred potential entrants, and only three challengers showed up. The poor turnout has both dampened the economic boost the host city was counting on and reduced the potential global TV audience.

There are doubts about the safety of the yachts themselves, too. Last October, one of Oracle’s boats capsized during training, and the wing sail broke into pieces. No one was hurt then, but in May, a 36-year-old British sailor and Olympic medalist named Andrew Simpson was killed when the yacht of the Swedish team Artemis Racing capsized and broke up during training, trapping the crewman under water. While Simpson’s death is not the first for an America’s Cup sailor — two crewmen were killed in separate training events in 1903, and two more while training in 1935 and 1999 — the incident prompted a slight reduction in the upper wind speed limit for races. “These boats are immensely powerful,” Rousmaniere says, referring to the AC72s. “It’s an entirely different kind of boat — a whole new realm.”

When the photographer Mike Escamilla showed up in July to take pictures aboard one of Oracle’s two racing yachts, he had little appreciation for the speed or danger of the AC72. Escamilla, a Los Angeles-based professional stuntman and BMX rider, has also made a name for himself online with his videos and photographs of extreme sports. But he knew next to nothing about the America’s Cup. “I thought I was going to jump on some sailboats that were kind of fast and shoot some photos,” he says.

The first sign that the experience might not be so routine came when Escamilla checked in at headquarters on Pier 80 in San Francisco. He was given a dry suit, a life preserver, a harness and a helmet, as well as a knife and an air canister, to help him survive in case he got trapped underwater in a capsize.

Escamilla was lucky to get onboard at all. After Simpson’s death, it was decided that the extra spot onboard — traditionally reserved for sponsors, dignitaries and members of the news media — would no longer be available during racing. The boats, the thinking goes, are too dangerous for all but seasoned crews. Oracle agreed to allow Escamilla onboard for what turned out to be 45 minutes on a practice run. He took most of his pictures on small and light GoPro digital cameras, often affixed to parts of the boat or a small telescoping pole, to help him get shots above the spray and the scrum of the 11-man crew jumping back and forth across the trampoline between the boat’s hulls.

The restrictions seemed a bit much to Escamilla, who once back-flipped his BMX bike over the rotating blades of a helicopter for a show on MTV. But as soon the yacht lifted out of the water on its hydrofoils, Escamilla says, he began to understand. The ride became eerily smooth as the hulls left the surface, the crew scrambling about all the while to keep what amounted to an awkwardly shaped airplane from going nose first into the sea. On these downwind runs, Escamilla was asked to stow his pole — the risk of it flying away and hitting someone was too great, he was told, and besides, he needed to hang on.

“I’ve been in a lot of situations, and I don’t really get scared — I get concerned,” Escamilla says. “When we got moving, I spent a lot of time looking at people’s faces to see how things were going, and there were times when I was very concerned.”

After just 25 minutes, Escamilla says, he was spent. The sailors themselves were just getting started on a practice session that would last hours, in preparation for an event that could consist of as many as 17 races in early September. When he debarked Oracle’s yacht by way of a support boat, Escamilla says, he did so with a certainty that for better or worse, the America’s Cup is now extreme.

“Of all the things I’ve ever done in my life,” he says, “this was one of gnarliest.”
I think this is absolutely great. The races are far shorter in duration and well within sight of land on a course where the boats can be seen for much of the competition by someone spectating on shore. This will generate far more interest for the sport, especially among the young whose notion of sports are more in line with the X Games than watching mono-hull sailboats sailing at 10 knots far from land for hours on end.

There are four more races this weekend: Two today and two tomorrow. Check it out on NBC Sports. But if you can't view them on TV, the races are being carried in their entirety on Youtube in streaming video. And they are later downloaded for viewing.

The final race in the Louis Vuitton Cup turned out to be rather anticlimactic, as New Zealand won the series 7-1. Uncharacteristically low winds kept the speeds way down, and fog obscured the boats to a large extent from the fairly large crowd which came to watch.

But the races have shown that the Kiwis are dominant so far. The only Italian win was due to a mechanical problem with the Kiwi boat. It will be interesting to see if the US can provide better competition.

The two point penalty and loss of Oracle's top trimmer due to a cheating incident a few years ago certainly took the wind out of their carbon fiber wing.

"I'm astounded, to be honest with you, that they penalized the whole team for this," Coutts said. The punishment, he said, "sets an outrageous precedent for the future. Imagine an Olympic team, and one member infringes a rule. Does that mean the whole team gets penalized?"
That said, it appears that the Kiwis have a faster boat, especially upwind, so it likely won't matter one bit unless Oracle can show a large improvement in the immediate future.

Kiwis:2 US: -2...

Link to video.

They split today. New Zealand made it look like it would be a runaway by handily winning in race 3 again, but Team Oracle came back and won the 4th race by 8 seconds.

Kiwis: 3
US -1

Link to video.

I caught the last ten minutes or so of yesterday's race. The youtube videos are great, but seeing one of those boats get up on their hydrofoil at 40kts on a big screen... :wow:

Yep. The bigger the better. I just wish I was still living in the SF Bay area to watch myself.

The US is in deep doo doo. After completely blowing a sizable lead in the 5th race with a truly boneheaded move, they used their card prematurely to cancel the 6th race which could very well have been called due to excessive wind.

Kiwis: 4
US: -1 with no card.

Link to video.

6 plays -1 now? Seems pretty one-sided. Looks awesome in the videos, but as a competitive sporting event, well, only one team has turned up thus far.

By the way, wasn't the cheating in the qualification for the America's Cup - therefore entirely relevant? And the entire team benefited from the cheating (and key members were aware of it), so it's more akin to penalising the relay team because one runner had some kind of special spikes? Frankly, they're lucky they didn't just get thrown out of the competition - if this was a sport with multiple finalists (say 4 or 8) then I rather suspect they would have been eliminated. Coutts' outrage is entirely misplaced.

It looks like it is pretty much over unless Team Oracle can pull a miracle comeback.

Kiwis: 6
US: -1

But the racing has actually been fairly close except the Kiwis have a distinct advantage tacking. They just have a slightly superior boat, which is typically what determines the winner.

And, no, the cheating occurred in a warm-up event last year with the smaller boats. It had absolutely nothing to do with this regatta.

And, no, the cheating occurred in a warm-up event last year with the smaller boats. It had absolutely nothing to do with this regatta.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I sill have little sympathy for Oracle - it wasn't an accidental breach of rules, it was a conscious effort to cheat to gain an advantage. What's the right penalty then? A larger fine? Mr Ellison laughs at you. I can't help but feel that the press coverage in the US would have been much more condemnatory if we were talking of a Russian or Chinese boat.

I'm glad to see the Kiwis doing so well.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I sill have little sympathy for Oracle - it wasn't an accidental breach of rules, it was a conscious effort to cheat to gain an advantage. What's the right penalty then? A larger fine? Mr Ellison laughs at you. I can't help but feel that the press coverage in the US would have been much more condemnatory if we were talking of a Russian or Chinese boat.
Only the team itself apparently had nothing whatsoever to do with it. It was an isolated incident involving only 3 people, none of which were in positions of authority on the team. In fact, any and all changes were supposed to be approved ahead of time to assure they stayed in conformance with the rules.

So no, I don't think your speculation carries any weight at all. I think the entire sailing world was shaken about how grossly absurd and unfair this penalty actually was.

I'm glad to see the Kiwis doing so well.
Their regatta almost ended in disaster only minutes ago. They came incredibly close to capsizing.

At least Team USA is now out of the negative points. :lol:

EDIT: Here's video.

That was exciting, but race 10 was even more so.

The US team seems to have overcome the huge disadvantage tacking. But they can't stand to be trading races with the Kiwis after becoming so far behind, as they did Sunday.

Kiwis: 7
US: 1

Now it is just a matter of when the fat lady is going to sing...

Kiwis: 8
US: 1

Four wins in a row for the US.

US: 5 (should be 7...)

Team US has done the nearly impossible.

US: 8

This is one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. Youtube video should be up on a couple of hours or so.

Spoiler :

Watched this from the finish line today, pretty good crowd. This was the US crossing the finishing line.

Top Bottom