An alternative Deity Tier List (a.k.a. 'Don't Forget About Conquest')

Currently reviewing Songhai after a few early game experiments showed big snowballing from barb camps with Honor starts

I rediscovered Civ V during the lockdown and set a goal of winning a deity domination game with every possible nation.

The Maya turned out to be one of the hardest. If you beeline Theocracy to get the great person cycle, you end up so far behind everyone else that you are weak and vulnerable. Choosing a great engineer is pointless, there are no wonders left to build. It takes until the industrial era to catch with science and military strength , but you often don’t have that long.

I found this thread in my bookmarks from ages ago and was amazed to see Maya rank so high. I read all of it to understand where I might be going wrong. The answer was surprising. It’s because I was playing on huge maps… So I switched to standard maps and it quickly became apparent that the Maya’s attributes are really powerful.

The game changes dramatically when you change map size.

So now I’ve got another project to see me through the Southern Hemisphere’s winter… win as every nation playing deity on a standard map.

The original post in this thread and some of the discussion here is fascinating and well thought out. Amazing what treasure there is to be found revisiting old friends.

I rediscovered Civ V during the lockdown and set a goal of winning a deity domination game with every possible nation.

The Maya turned out to be one of the hardest. If you beeline Theocracy to get the great person cycle, you end up so far behind everyone else that you are weak and vulnerable. Choosing a great engineer is pointless, there are no wonders left to build. It takes until the industrial era to catch with science and military strength , but you often don’t have that long.

I found this thread in my bookmarks from ages ago and was amazed to see Maya rank so high. I read all of it to understand where I might be going wrong. The answer was surprising. It’s because I was playing on huge maps… So I switched to standard maps and it quickly became apparent that the Maya’s attributes are really powerful.

So now I’ve got another project to see me through the Southern Hemisphere’s winter… win as every nation playing deity on a standard map.

The original post in this thread and some of the discussion here is fascinating and well thought out. Amazing what treasure there is to be found revisiting old friends.

Hi there, you have given yourself a tall order! I wish you all the best in your pursuit. If you for some reason want to play some of your games on standard sized maps, I think you should check out the Enjoyable Deity Games thread (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/enjoyable-deity-games.641765/page-64). You will find many that many of the 160 games have above average starts and thus will set you up for a more flexible game plan.

... So now I’ve got another project to see me through the Southern Hemisphere’s winter… win as every nation playing deity on a standard map.

Hi there, you have given yourself a tall order! I wish you all the best in your pursuit. If you for some reason want to play some of your games on standard sized maps, I think you should check out the Enjoyable Deity Games thread (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/enjoyable-deity-games.641765/page-64). You will find many that many of the 160 games have above average starts and thus will set you up for a more flexible game plan.

Welcome back, @billby!

Good luck with your winter-project. You might be interested to know that - at least to my knowledge - @Nizef is the only Civ V player to have submitted a Deity win with each and every one of the 43 Civs into the Hall-of-Fame. Those (and about 200 other games) have him currently ranked #4 on the Veni Vidi Vici tables. I don't see that you have previously submitted games to the HOF, but since you are going to play those games anyway, you might consider trying to join Nizef!

Welcome back, @billby!

Good luck with your winter-project. You might be interested to know that - at least to my knowledge - @Nizef is the only Civ V player to have submitted a Deity win with each and every one of the 43 Civs into the Hall-of-Fame. Those (and about 200 other games) have him currently ranked #4 on the Veni Vidi Vici tables. I don't see that you have previously submitted games to the HOF, but since you are going to play those games anyway, you might consider trying to join Nizef!
An absolutely excellent suggestion!

Welcome back, @billby!

I downloaded one of these, the Mayan game on page 8 - but it won't load, I get a message saying not all the required mods are installed, but doesn't tell me which mods. What am I missing?

I downloaded one of these, the Mayan game on page 8 - but it won't load, I get a message saying not all the required mods are installed, but doesn't tell me which mods. What am I missing?
Ah, figured it out, you need to install Really Advanced Setup. Done that and am ready to start, although not for a few days now, there is real paid work to do.

Maya are completely amazing because of free Great People and a sick UB
You would NOT beeline theocracy if going for Domination
In fact, I would never beeline Theocracy, because the first great count is so early in the game that the important thing is to choose the right order for the free great people from the first to the last
Maya would be even stronger on Huge maps because Wide is more viable there
In fact, I may play a Maya game next on Huge and try for an 8-12 city lategame DomV with Rocket Artillery

Top Bottom