An Amurite Guide to Warfare and Governing

MalkutX

Warlord
Hey, guys! I think it'd be great if every civ had a thread like the Grigori one, so let's make an Amurite guide! They were the first civ I played, and I was completely lost, so I'm shooting for teaching beginners. I've never done this sort of thread, so feel free to speak up if I get something wrong; constructive criticism is good.

The Amurites, like the Calabim and Sindar, are a civ with one really awesome shtick that'll let them totally dominate the game, but you have to get to it first. That shtick is magic. So much is riding on your wizards, that it isn't even funny.

The Leaders

Both leaders have Arcane (free XP when you make an adept), so it's their other traits that define them.

Dain gets Philosophical, which makes research-related buildings cheaper. He's good if you want to tech up ahead of your enemies.

Valledia's Organized trait is better for warfare and early expansion, because she can build command posts and cheap money-saving buildings.

In unrestricted leaders, people like Tebryn, Faeryl, Thessa, and Keelyn open a wide variety of strategies.

Faith: The Right One For You

Start with Runes. Easy, early-game money, quick research, and Soldiers of Killmoph to help you get set up. It's viable to stick with Runes for an entire game.

However, if you want to switch, you get plenty of options:

GOOD: Empyrean offers you nothing but good things. I have not tried it personally, however. I definitely suggest founding this religion, since the holy shrine reveals invisible units, and if it's invisible, it's probably a threat to your mages.

NEUTRAL: Octopus Overlords, Archmage hero, Tsunamis, and undead. What's not to like?

EVIL: Ashen Veil, for Sacrifice the Weak and a small research bonus. However, unlike the above, there are downsides. You'll get Hell Terrain before anyone else, Basium can be summoned at any time to drag you into a world war, nobody good will like you, and Armageddon is now a step closer than it already was. Also, the hero is a horseman, and that's not really your thing. It's powerful, but all in all, I prefer Runes or Overlords to this.

Early Game Research:

Your early game goal is to research what you need to live, while getting to sorcery as quickly as possible. You'll probably need bronze working and agriculture early on, but you can hold off on any other resources until you at least have knowledge of the ether. The sooner you get your adepts, the sooner they'll have enough XP to be wizards.

Another interesting idea (perhaps if you're on an island or are otherwise isolated) is to try and found every religion you can. Every holy city is the potential site of a holy shrine, and each holy shrine is a free source of mana. If you somehow manage to found every religion, that's seven kinds of mana that you don't have to fight for. Dain, due to his cheap libraries and easy great prophets, is the best one for this strategy.

I've never tried ceasing a shrine for it's mana before, so I don't know if they can be captured (but they probably can). If they can, you might want to consider not using this strategy, and saving your Great Prophets.

Magic Warfare: How to Make Your Adepts Into Efficient Killing Machines

The civpedia states that Amurite mages are "not particularly spectacular of their own right, what makes them remarkable is the sheer number of them and the ease with which they can be brought to bear on the field." That's a good indication of how the Amurites are meant to fight: with vast numbers of spellcasters.

Aside from a larger number of adepts, your early armies will not be hugely different from anyone else's I discourage you from being a heavy warmonger during this time.

Much of your army will consist of wizards. I suggest civics (like conquest and apprenticeship) wonders (Form of the Titan) and buildings (Cave of Ancestors) that grant free XP, because the faster you can make wizards, the more successful you will be.

Once you grab Sorcery and different kinds of mana, things begin to change. It's time to specialize your forces. That's a key word, here: SPECIALIZE. Plan ahead. I haven't seen a lot of people doing this, and it really makes them more effective. Since you are going to be building so many more mages than other civs normally do, you can afford to make many of the same kind, without sacrificing much versatility.

I suggest using large numbers of wizards, each of which has a specialty. It's a bit more complicated, but I find it more effective. I use the basic configurations below, depending on what mana I have found. Feel free to suggest others.

Fire Mages: Artillery is the "queen of the battlefield", and it's what Fire Mages do best. Their job is to crack defenses and blast enemy units. They can empty lightly defended cities by themselves, and completely destroy units out in the open. They're unlikely to completely destroy huge stacks in highly defended cities with healers or health buildings, but they'll weaken them enough for your infantry to take over.

The Meteor Storm spell is gone, so you'll probably want to keep them as wizards. They should focus on Fire, Metamagic (bonus damage), Combat (bonus damage), and Spell Extension (Mobility 2 fireballs).

Lightning Mages: Lightning Mages use Maelstrom as their primary attack. They do percentage-based damage, and should be used as your opening move when attacking large stacks and cities with huge garrisons, in order to soften them up for the fireballs. For this reason, I don't teach them fire spells. Too much mircomanagement for me, but feel free to try if you think you can handle it.

Air,Combat, and metamagic are their most important promotions, leaving them with a bit of flexibility. Water Walking and Mobility are good for them, because it lets them attack from odd places. I also suggest using them as maritime weapons, since once stationed aboard a ship can soften up enemy ships for a barrage of Arcane Barge fireballs.

Fire and Lightning will make up the bulk of your heavy artillery, and I highly suggest building them first.

Life Mages: These will be needed to battle the Sheaim and Infernals, and hold back the Hell Terrain as the AC goes up. Destroy Undead is a great spell against them (combine with Maelstorm for a nasty bit of effectiveness), and Sanctuary robs the Infernals of their Hell Terrain defense bonuses. Combat, Meta, Life, and whatever else you feel like.

Necromancers: If you can get death mana, than most of your early game adepts will be necros. Skeletons are good in that they cost nothing, and take only a turn to make. Later, they can be upgraded to wizards, and used to make more cheap fodder. Combat, Death, and Spell Extension are needed, and try to pick up a different buff for as many of them as you can.

Enchanters: Enchanters are Mind wizards, using Charm to penetrate deeply into enemy territory without losses. An enemy army rushing to confront your Fire Mages can be rendered helpless to be slaughtered by a few well-placed fireballs. Enchanters make very good Archmages. A Tower of Alteration will make them even more effective. Meta, and Mind are your best friends. You might also want to give them enchantment, so they can create enchanted blades and fire arrows for your main force.

Blinders: Like Enchanters, but with Blinding Light.

Archmages: I generally raise my archmages apart from my main force. I typically use Meta (Resist Bonus and Jinn), Combat (stronger summons, the last thing I pick if there's a choice), Extension (faster summons), Mind (Domination), and Death (Lichcraft), but you can use anything you want. There is a lot of possibility here, depending on what you want to be able to do.

If you're going for a Tower victory, then at some point, you'll probably build most - if not all - of these.

Govannon: Govannon can teach any living unit to cast Blaze, Blur, Dance of Blades, Haste, and Raise Skeleton, so make sure he learns them all, and have him walk/Nexus Gate around and pass this knowledge on to everyone in your army. Permanent buffs like Enchanted Blade and Fire Arrows are also a good thing he can leave behind.

Other minor spells: Rust is a good spell for weakening enemy melee troops, and since they will be more numerous than your melee troops, this is important. Poison Blade, Enchant Blade, and Fire Arrow are all good additions to your army, and you may want mages you specialize in those kinds of buffs. Mutation can help create stronger units, but it's risky. Spring is good for making your land productive, while courage is needed for demon/dragonslayers. These are all nice things to include on any non-specialized adepts you might want to build, or if you have a slot left over on one of your specialized ones.

Chanters: Chanters are your answer to enemy mages. They're assassins who can teleport home to your capital. Bring one with your main army to ensure that you always have magical superiority on the battlefield.

Firebows: Firebows can use fireball, but not as well as a mage who is specialized for it. Useful for deterring attacks on your cities.

Skeletons: Early game fodder that need to be heavily buffed and in huge numbers to do anything later on, but losing them costs you nothing. If you have Govannon teach every single unit in your army to cast Raise Skeleton, then you can build a massive fodder force that at least looks scary and is easily replaceable.

Infantry: After all that, your infantry seems rather boring. Swordsmen, Champions, ect. The only difference is, mine can cast Haste, Blur, and Dance of Blades before each and every battle, and everyone elses' can't. City Raider, shock, cover, and similar promotions should take priority, since the point of bringing infantry along is to crack open a city that's been weakened by the mages, and protect the mages from being cracked open by everyone else.

Cavalry: Cavalry with Haste are probably awesome, but since everyone else has haste, I typically don't use cavalry very much.

Scout: After making Govannan, teach all your recon units Haste to make them extra effective.

This was a fairly good modmod that adds Amurite units from a few months ago, but I don't know if it's still supported:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=270736 It replaces high tech units with high magic ones. Fairly cool, since the Amurites are an otherwise contradictory low tech/high science race.

Because of all the Fire and Air Mages with Meta to boost their damage output, you get a lot of Meta spells. The first one is the functional equivalent of an air recon unit. That, combined with all your extended fireballs, will allow you to start attacking at immense range. Close range, you can blast, maelstorm, blind, charm, dominate, buff, debuff, and attack better than they can.

GETTING THAT MANA

NODES: An adept and a tech is all you need. However, Nodes tend to be rather rare, and even when they do appear to be fairly common, getting them depends on pulling off a good early game expansion without any hitches. After that, you may have to fight for them.

CONQUEST: If an enemy surrenders, you can demand any resources you like from them. However, only demand the ones you need to build the tower you're working on right now, because I've had the AI rebel when trying to take all three.

SHRINES: Found a religion, and burn a Great Prophet. You can conceivably get Sun, Law, Nature, Shadow, Water, Entropy, and Earth this way.

WONDERS: A few wonders give you mana, if you already have one like it. Stockpiling Mana is a fairly good idea, since most of it has positive effects on your empire.

RITES OF OGHMA: This creates new mana nodes all over the world, but it's a bit random for my tastes. Still, it's good to have around.

DISPEL: The Meta 2 Spell allows you to transform a complete mana node into a raw mana node.

ARCANE LARCUNA: Your world spell resets all mana nodes, and gives every mage unit an XP for each one. Build a lot of adepts first: you've got Fire and Meta, so you can make them into Fire Mages on the very next turn.

The Amurites definitely are not a rush race; early on they pretty much have to castle.

That in mind, Archery may be a better defensive option than Bronze Working, unless you have a heavy forest start. It does not require you to get mines and gamble on getting Copper, and is as good defensively as having Iron Swordsmen. Later on, these same Archers can become Firebows, capable of hurling Fireballs at attackers.

Religion and civics-wise, having Aristocracy to allow Royal Guards will help protect your mages from assassins (Guardsman promotion), and taking on the Empyrean religion and building the shrine will prevent any assassins from penetrating your territory without your knowledge.

The Order hero Donal Lugh has the Guardsman promotion as well, and it may be worth taking Order just for a Superman-bodyguard if your civilization has a lot of choke points and can focus on narrow, concentrated assaults.

Regarding the Empyrean religion, it's not nearly as useful for the Amurites if you can't build the shrine. You do get the Metamagic Floating Eye already, which can recon to reveal stealthed (but not invisible) units. The Empyrean spell Revelation will reveal invisible units. Without the shrine or guardsmen, however, commando shadows are your bane.

A good defensive measure when advancing and with leftover mages is to do a Maelstrom even if you can't see any nearby enemies. This spell hits invisible units and may weaken them to the point that even should they attack, they won't be able to defeat your Guardsmen or Mages.

Donal Lugh is the Bannor Hero, not Order Hero.

My mistake. "Random Neutral leader" can build it (bug); I made an assumption. In any case, you can still dominate the bastard.

few things you left out that may be worth noting...

1 - rites of oghma - tend to spawn nodes randomly in tiles that do NOT have an improvement.

2 - anything that gives your casters xp on creation is a good thing you want them to pop out big, however you need the cash flow to upgrade them.

3 - iirc the cave of ancestors give 1xp for each and every mana you have (even multiples). enchantment gives happiness , and life gives health

4 - death mana allows for endless skeleton rampages. and iirc there are now 2 mana types that have summons in the middle tier for wizards (law and chaos)

5 - the AV as a religion gives you ALOT more then your thinking if you have some time to play around. if you were the runes first and managed to build a few levels of the shrine then swap to AV , all your "prophets" can be upgraded to wizards and carry that disciple xp. Also if you like to gamble with adepts , the book gives a 10% chance of an xp buff or a 10% chance of death when they read it.

One key with the Amurites is that you need a strong income flow to build your army. Upgrading an adept to a Wizard costs 60 gold on normal speed (I think).

Also, a common misconception (and one that is not at all clear in the 'pedia) is that the UB Cave of the Ancestors gives 1 xp for each mana you have. It in fact gives 1 xp for each unique mana you have, meaning that having 2 or more of any type will get you free spells but won't get you Wizards any faster. To make up for this, the metamagic III spell - Summon Djinn - has affinity for all mana types, making it the most useful summon if you've spread out your mana choices.

For peacetime, mages with Hope and Inspiration make good garrison troops for boosting science and culture (boo to the recent inspiration nerf!) and with either fireball or maelstrom they can soften up attackers too.

When I play the Amurites, I always rush Mysticism to get elder councils and start pumping great sages ASAP. Some may consider it a waste for such a cheap tech, but I'll usually pop Knowledge of the Ether while researching down the Bronze working (if lots of forests) or archery lines, especially if I start near a warmonger. Specifically Auric - I think he has something against mages, cause he always guns for me first :)

Once you have KotE and are building adepts, don't be afraid to risk some of them against barbarians just like you would with cheap melee or recon units - they are stronger than you think in early game, and the experience can be a big boost when you get Sorcery.

I like OO with the Amurites myself. Hemah gives you another archmage, Saverous and Co. give you some early game muscle so you don't get smashed before your adepts can mature. Asylums are nice, and the Necromonicon gives you Water mana. Since you already want Air and Fire for spells, you're just Earth away from the ToE.

2 - anything that gives your casters xp on creation is a good thing you want them to pop out big, however you need the cash flow to upgrade them.

This is another reason why you might want to stick with Runes, however . . . .

the AV as a religion gives you ALOT more then your thinking if you have some time to play around. if you were the runes first and managed to build a few levels of the shrine then swap to AV , all your "prophets" can be upgraded to wizards and carry that disciple xp.

. . . . THIS is something new that's good to know.

I like OO with the Amurites myself. Hemah gives you another archmage, Saverous and Co. give you some early game muscle so you don't get smashed before your adepts can mature. Asylums are nice, and the Necromonicon gives you Water mana. Since you already want Air and Fire for spells, you're just Earth away from the ToE.

You don't have to adopt a religion to build the shrine, so if you found Runes and Overlords, you're just missing Air. Elements is the easiest Tower to build.

However, the Tower you really want is Alteration. Enemy Resistance -10% = better Domination, and dominating your foes is better than destroying them.

I tend to try to play both thematically and strategically. Because of Kyorlin's opposition to Mulcarn, I tend to go FoL first. This also gives the bonus of having Ancient Forests that stick around once I switch religions, and Priests that can keep spreading forests and summoning (soon to be caged) tigers then too.

When I play as Dain, I tend to choose the Empyrean because he is so philosophical. (In my version, this trait also makes its temples build faster, and the temples add a further GPP boost instead of military production). The religion is nice, but not really any specific bonus for the Amurites.

The most thematic and strongest religion for Valledia is definitely the Council of Esus. She is a a very shady character, who will do anything to help her people behind the scenes. For example, she ordered the convicted necromancer Samael torture Einion's wife and bind her soul to her mutilated flesh by forbidden magic to make it look like the Infernals were breaking their treaty, and pardoned him for all his offenses. Of course, she also frequently breaks the law against tracking the bloodlines. Strategically, CoE offers Gibbon, who is in many ways better than Hemah. He is earlier and cheaper than Heman, and the fact that he only summons illusions means you can weaken stacks and then clean them up with an army of adepts, for the free xp. (I would not recommend using his unique spell.) CoE means that you won't have the diplomatic difficulties of other religions, and CoE Chanters are very nice. They can turn HN, attack, and then escape out of enemy territory to avoid counter attacks. They could also steal equipment and then instantly take it back to you capital, instead of risking loosing the equipment on the way back if the spell caused a war.

However, the Tower you really want is Alteration. Enemy Resistance -10% = better Domination, and dominating your foes is better than destroying them.
Agreed. When I first started playing FfH II, I was still playing it as standard Civ, and so I used a mix of Catapults and Fire Magi. Then I dropped the Cats since they can't be Hasted and Magi can. Now I'm going with Dominate Archmages since it takes care of the problem of garrisoning your new city. Steal the defenders, then put them back now they have "seen the light". So when playing the Amurites, I go with Air+Mind+Meta. Mind being the primary sphere, Air for open field stack destruction (and the occasional city that I sack), and Meta to boost both and get recon ability when necessary. Defensive Wizards are usually Air/Mind/Earth with Meta if I can. Earth gives Wall of Stone and Stoneskin, and now Inspiration comes into play as well. Ideally, defensive Wizards will get Spirit II for Hope at some point. (Current game: Cave of Ancestors + other exp sources are giving 23-25 exp out of the box, so I can pretty much do what I like with my newly built CitiDef Wizards.)

Firebows do have their uses. Since I'm not building pyromancers, when I do need the occasional fireball bombardment, they provide it. A stack of Firebows, Champions, Rangers and Chanters is my secondary SoD and goes for low priority targets while the Archmage SoD goes for the true objectives.

Religion: Start with Runes, move to either Empyrean or OO depending both on terrain and mood. Current game I founded all three and got the Shrines so that's three mana nodes. (Playing Noble level.)

I've yet to play Valledia: just like Philosophical too much, thus Dain is the natural choice for me.

Oh, and Govannon is great.

I still love Fire Mages. As much as I love Domination, a stack with four Mind III archmages who tried to take my cities would be slaughtered from a very great distance by ten or fifteen Combat V fireballs with absolutely no risk to the caster, and no chance of losing their usefulness until the next time they level up.

However, when it comes to picking who gets to be an archmage, I never pick them. They're fine as wizards. By the time it's late enough in the game for archmages, I have access to a bunch of different mana, and djinn are awesome summons, so I have no use for elementals.

EDIT: Just a while ago, I had Dis founded at a very early date (not long after discovering Sorcery) in my neighborhood. I wanted to react quickly, so I brought up as many war wizards as I could muster: three Fire Mages and three Air Mages, specialized as noted above. Without any summoning or any melee backup, they were easily able to defeat Hyborem and his entire force by themselves via sheer overwhelming firepower, and turn Dis into a smoking crater (assuming that's not the form it took before I blew it up).

This is why I still build Fireball mages.

One really good idea with te amurites is to found the Council of Esus and build the shrine. You don't have to convert to it, and it is in fact probably best to be running the empyrean at the same time. The COE shrine gives you COE chanters which as Magister says are pretty useful. It will also turn all your units that aren't in cities inside your borders invisible. This makes your mages completely invulnerable to attack.

I still love Fire Mages. As much as I love Domination, a stack with four Mind III archmages who tried to take my cities would be slaughtered from a very great distance by ten or fifteen Combat V fireballs with absolutely no risk to the caster, and no chance of losing their usefulness until the next time they level up.

However, when it comes to picking who gets to be an archmage, I never pick them. They're fine as wizards. By the time it's late enough in the game for archmages, I have access to a bunch of different mana, and djinn are awesome summons, so I have no use for elementals.

EDIT: Just a while ago, I had Dis founded at a very early date (not long after discovering Sorcery) in my neighborhood. I wanted to react quickly, so I brought up as many war wizards as I could muster: three Fire Mages and three Air Mages, specialized as noted above. Without any summoning or any melee backup, they were easily able to defeat Hyborem and his entire force by themselves via sheer overwhelming firepower, and turn Dis into a smoking crater (assuming that's not the form it took before I blew it up).

This is why I still build Fireball mages.
True, but I assumed we were talking about SP, not MP. So far, the AI has not been tuned to the point where that one will face a stack of Fireball magi. (It does use Tsunami and the Lanun world spell effectively which is why OO is not a religion I spread for diplomatic bonuses.) Domination is making my wars faster and more convenient. Air is for Hyborem, Basium and other units with the Not Alive promotion, and the Firebows can provide the bombardment capability when needed.

As for Archmages being late game ... it doesn't seem that way with the Amurites. Anyone can run Theo+Apprenticeship+Conquest, one can probably get Form of the Titan and one Command Post, that's 10 exp. With Cave of the Ancestors, 5-6 mana nodes is not an unreasonable amount to have connected. That's just shy of Lvl 4. Arcane also speeds up the exp gain. Also, since I use CitiDef Air/Mind/Earth Wizards, there are lots of Wizards "cooking". If a Dominate AM loses Dominate, he can be disbanded (or fed to a Flesh Golem) and a new one promoted from the ranks. Also, I'm in the habit of leaving one promo unclaimed, so I can get Dominate on the spot. At the moment though, none of my AMs have ever lost Dominate ... and this is without reloading. (I'm assuming Tower of Alteration + Meta II is doing what they are supposed to.) At this point in the game, I can produce Lvl 6 Adepts right off the line so running out of AM candidates is not a concern.

As for Dominate being the optimum strat ... I don't know. In standard BtS I'm a weak Noble player, and here I could probably play Prince (since Kael hasn't finished tuning the AI). So it is possible my preferred Amurite play style is only viable at the easier game levels.

Off topic about BtS 3.17 patch.
Spoiler :
Since my Amurite game is getting rather involved, I've set it aside for my "weekend" when I can actually concentrate on it. So for light after dinner recreation, I started a regular game of BtS (Earth3 script, Choose Religions, No Tech Trading.) Playing as Pericles of Greece. It appears the AI has improved. Finding Suleiman directly to my south, I was gearing up for a Phalanx rush only to find he was ready for it! He had Archers, Chariots and Cats! The Hell?! In 3.13 this would never have happened. Had to wait until I had Swordsmen and it was a much more costly affair that it should have been. Now Suryavarman has boxed me in and he is both larger and more technically advanced. Also, the wonders I wanted are all gone. (At least Suleiman built the Pyramids for me ...) Reading the 3.17 impressions thread, others say the AI is better in the naval sphere as well. Should be interesting if the Persians, Dutch, and Babylonians decide to visit. Looks like stepping up my game even for BtS is necessary.

Your Flesh Golem and You: An Owner's Manual

Congratulations! You have purchased a Frankenstein Systems Model One-Zero-One Thaumaturgic Organism F800 series, the product of countless hours of cutting edge golem research in the most advanced Luchuirp laboratories. A flesh golem can be a loving pet or a fierce guardian, depending on how you raise it. In this manual, we will be discussing ways to make one that is both.

First Things First

Assembling a flesh golem requires at least an Archmage-level degree in Body Magic from the Amurite Academy of Metaphysical Sciences. Frankenstein Systems is not liable for any serious injuries or fatalities that should occur if anyone else tries to assemble a flesh golem.

Ideally, you will find someone else to accomplish this. Frankenstein Systems recommends that you "raise" an archmage for this purpose, and that he or she should have the Combat V and Spell Extension 2 promotions. This generally results in a stronger, faster golem.

After your golem is assembled, it is time to feed it. What do flesh golems eat? Why, everything! Frankenstein Systems strongly suggests feeding the creator to the golem. This will generally cut down on hubris/going mad with power among your other mages, and a Combat V mage is filled with vital electrolytes and vitamins that will help your golem grow strong. Even better, he or she might have the Magic Resistance promotion.

From then on, it is your responsibility to "feed" your golem regularly. Flesh Golems are fond of units with promotions that they do not yet have. They will acquire these promotions once they are fed. A golem with many promotions is a very dangerous foe, and a very faithful companion. Since any Amurite empire will be running in such a manner as to produce units with a lot of XP, finding these promotions should not be difficult.

Feeding the Beast

Royal Guardsmen are an important source of protein and Guardian promotions. Every Flesh Golem should consume at least one of these in order to protect his master from spies and assassins.

The Shadow is another important dietary compliment. What's better than a super-strong, super-fast guardian golem? Why, one that is invisible!

Melee units are your golem's meat-and-potatoes. They provide nutritious combat promotions and weapon upgrades.

Horseflesh is a yummy treat for a golem that has been good. Horsemen have proven to be an excellent source of withdraw promotions.

Archers are known to give a golem heartburn, but are well sparingly recommended for city defense bonuses.

Your golem should consume several priests over the course of it's lifetime. Even an unpromoted priest is a valuable source of healing magic, where as later ones can provide combat conversion and combat upgrades.

Liches generally have to be mixed in with other food for the golem to want it, and they are expensive, but cannibalizing and fear are good promotions for a bodyguard to have.

The final, ultimate present for a golem is also the most dangerous. This is only recommended for those who are extremely serious about golem raising.

Other documents have shown that it is possible to capture a red dragon. Red dragons are strong and powerful, but lazy and slow. Once one is subdued, it is possible to feed it to your dragon. This will result in a far, far stronger golem with a great deal more resistance. Frankenstein Systems accepts no legal liability any wages, armies, or empires that are lost in the pursuit of this goal.

Finally

Flesh Golem ownership is relatively new to the Amurite pet scene, and there is much for an owner to learn. However, I think you will find that you will be very happy with your choice of a pet, and that you will grow to love your Flesh Golem and be loved by it more than any other pet you have ever owned (even dominated enemy units!). Also, it will kill people on command, something a parakeet will generally not do.

One other thing that actually works remarkably well is making actual combat mages. Combat IV-V Earth mages are quite capable in open-field battles, especially when you have a few Maelstrom casters around. Strength 9-10 equivalents with Stoneskin can even take on champions with a reasonable chance of winning (once again, with Maelstrom support). Being able to kill assassins is a plus too.

As for taking out Hyborem with just 6 wizards... the thing is, you caught him before he fortified his longbowmen and champions, and before he had any promotions. Demon is only a 20% fire resist, and it doesn't work properly anyway in combat calculations. Oh, and the automatic Iron Weapons means your Maelstroms were 25% more effective too.

Oh and Domination being a great anti-AI strat... it works up to Monarch. I used to be a Noble/Prince BtS player, now I'll probably struggle with Noble since I haven't played vanilla civ 4 in probably more than a year. Meta/Mind III archmages with the Tower of Alteration do a great job of city capture and rarely fail, even on heroes. AI isn't smart enough with assassins to use them effectively, but as mentioned, even if you lose an AM or Lich, you've got another dozen cooking. If Vassal States is on, you can easily get instant archmages due to palace mana + Cave by late-game.

As for taking out Hyborem with just 6 wizards... the thing is, you caught him before he fortified his longbowmen and champions, and before he had any promotions.

That's the best time to catch him! He who dares, wins!

Yeah, okay, that does make them seem a little more powerful than you'd probably picture from my experience, since most people fight him after he's even more of an unstoppable death machine, but I stand by my conclusion that massed elemental mages rock hardcore, and are a viable alternative for people who are sick of winning by just dominating everything.

Yeah, okay, that does make them seem a little more powerful than you'd probably picture from my experience, since most people fight him after he's even more of an unstoppable death machine, but I stand by my conclusion that massed elemental mages rock hardcore, and are a viable alternative for people who are sick of winning by just dominating everything.
Massed Water mages definitely do NOT "rock hardcore". Unless you're OO. In which case you get waterwalking stacks of doom (Cultists, Drowns/Stygians, mages). Still, I agree that Air, Fire, and Earth are all very good spheres for offensive mages.

Massed Water mages definitely do NOT "rock hardcore".

Oh, that reminds me of something I should have mentioned earlier.

MANA AFFINITY

All elemental summons have affinity. To quote the civpedia:

Some units in FFH 2 have affinity for a specific type resource, which in practice is always a type of of mana.

This is not displayed in the unit overlay, but is noted in the civilopedia.

Affinity is shows as:

Affinity for (Mana Type) + (Strength).

This translates into that unit having a bonus to it's combat strength equal to the Strength value multiplied by the number of sources of the Mana type you have. The type of strength to be given is defined seperately for each resource. For instance, Air gives Lightning strength, Entropy gives Unholy Strength, Death gives death strength, Water gives Cold strength, and both Fire and Sun give Fire strength. Most resources, however, grant normal, un-typed strength.

For example, a Spectre, which has Death Affinity +1, gets +2 Death Strength if you have 2 Death Mana.

So, let's say you have four water archmages. They can each summon a waterwalking elemental that's 8 :strength: +1 Cold for each Water Mana source you have, and you're bound to have one if you can cast the spell, so it's roughly the equivalent of an Immortal unit with cold damage, +more for however many mana sources you can build.

Of course, if you're doing a strategy that relies on elemental units, than you're screwing the Tower of Mastery business, and just conquering everyone. In that case, you don't need lots of different types of mana, just lots of the same one. You're probably also better off playing on unrestricted leaders (or editing in a new leader for yourself).

So, your mages could walk on water over to the enemy cities, summon powerful units continuously, and be safe from everything but naval units, or they could set inside boats and do the same thing. You never have to touch the shore, so no assasins can get you.

It's hardly an optimal tactic, but it's pretty smooth way to grab coastal settlements, if you can pull it off.

Note: if you ARE trying the Tower victory, than Djinn get +1 strength for every type of mana you have, so summoning is still a viable tactic.

Top Bottom