1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

An update from Firaxis about the Colonization patch

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by PeteMurray, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Dale

Dale Deity

No, but if it was would I be allowed to say? :)

The projects in question are for work, where I'm starting the process of getting a games dev studio going. :)

2. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

A game studio? Then by some coincidence we may meet one day, because I'm half way through a games degree and I might be sending a resume your way in a couple of years.

3. Dale

Dale Deity

What major? We'll have artistry covered as we'll use in-house artists from the animation studio.

4. AtomKano

AtomKano Chieftain

Seems like people left this game for good. I'm looking for some reactions to the patch - is the game worth playing now?

5. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

I'm doing the double degree at Swinburne, so that covers art, programming, design and a bit more. If you have been to eGames Expo in any of the last three years, then you would have recognised us by the red shirts.

6. Old MacDonald

Old MacDonald Chieftain

Thanks, Firaxis. I'm looking forward to playing the game again now.

7. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

It was already worth playing with AOD, which has pretty much all the firaxis patch's fixes in already, plus a load of other stuff too.

8. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

Dale's Dev Studio, I must say that sounds interesting. Any specific direction for the studio, or just general game development?

9. Dale

Dale Deity

Not exactly mine, just being run by me. :lol: The goals of the studio are whatever the owner tells me are the goals. :D

10. The Rusty Gamer

The Rusty Gamer Prince

Oh no! you'll run into the same problem as a lot of developers - some great game ideas but commercial pressure from the boss will quash enough time to fully develop them or even to produce patches later, such as what happened to MOO3.

11. Dale

Dale Deity

Uh..... that's called business. Blame the yanks and their capitalist model. :)

12. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Ah, but the capitalist model itself is under pressure now with the worldwide crisis. Who knows, perhaps your owner will realize that in time and give you a free hand at least once "to see how it goes". :D

13. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

Capitalism isn't really under threat. The games industry in particular remains strong.

And on top of that, Dale lives in Australia, where the economy is not yet in official recession and the recession may not end up being that deep when it does hit.

14. Dale

Dale Deity

Huh, the only reason we're not "officially" in recession is due to our interest rates coming down to finally be on par with the rest of the world, and all the money K-Rudd has blown trying to prop up the economy.

Yes, I'm a frickin' Liberal! :p

15. PiMan

PiMan Emperor

Y'know, I think we have departed from the topic.

Our interest rates are only temporarily this low. As inflationary pressures increase, so will interest rates, and Rudd's stimulus packages haven't done anything to keep us out of recession since the first quarter with the stimulus still ended with negative growth (-0.5%).
    What has kept us out of recession so far was the growth of Q3 2008, but it is very likely that we will be in official recession when Q1 2009 finishes and those growth figures are released.

16. Swaty

Swaty Chieftain

I have the same issue with my game that I got from an onlinestore. I surely hope they will fix this. Anyone know if you could patch it manually somehow?

Sadly I didn't find a place to contact support over at Firaxis site either, they don't list Colonization as one of the games now playing.

17. Ranger300

Ranger300 Chieftain

Here here! I'm in Oz too and K-Rudd is indeed working hard at killing the economy...

18. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

I had the same issue when downloading the patch. Just use the auto-installer in the game.

Education is more reasonable now, and the REF doesn't seem to get as large. I didn't see any difference in horse costs, though. The patch makes the game considerably easier.

19. zerokarma

zerokarma Chieftain

I wish some of the trade aspects would have been adjusted/fixed.

All of the Native tribes have at least 15k but are depleted rather quickly once you trade with them. Towards the end of the game when the tax rate is above 60% and the Indians have no more money it makes it very difficult to raise any further money. That's why I wish there was a custom house or something still in the game.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Official recession or not, stuff is messed up. I got so tired of hearing (particularly from the Fauxites) that we are not in a recession...even though everybody could read the numbers and see that the report released in the next 2 days would confirm it.