1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Ancient Walls now provide 100 outer defense?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

For some reason when looking at the walls tooltips, I didn't see the "+". Looking again, it's surely cumulative.

The tooltips could be written much more clearly. Since each tier of walls must be built on the previous tier, I see no reason not to just state something much more clear like "Increases outer strength to 200."

2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Am I reading that right? Urban Defense is less powerful than Rennaissance walls. That seems odd.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Once you get into the modern era, city walls become much less effective against modern weapons. In previous Civilization iterations, they lost all combat benefit whatsoever.

But in this case, I'm not sure we actually know what the new Urban Defense value is.

4. Draco84

Draco84 Warlord

Are these the values, or is this a expectations? I would have thought Urban Defense would have 400HP.

5. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

Did anyone see where in the new techtree urban defense is located?
    I was surprised not to see any cities with urban defense in the livestream.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You build no walls and get 200 HP at urban
    You build renaissance walls and also get +9 city strength, I also suspect you will get 300 strength walls but that may not be the case because of cities outgrowing walls amd I am happy with that, either will do.

7. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Make Rams effective only against Ancient Walls and there's your reason to build Medieval Walls. Make a Sapper upgrade for Rams that work against Medieval Walls, and there's your motivation to upgrade to Renaissance Walls. Maybe they've done something like this for GS? I'm hoping, anyway.

All of the above assumes you don't maintain a large enough army that the AI can't get to your cities. Which, frankly, is more fun, because then there's always the risk (hope?) that the AI gets it's angry on and comes calling.

Siptah likes this.
  8. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Unless FXS changes the obsolescence of walls when Steel is researched & Urban Defenses are gained, I still don't see a good reason to sink production into Medieval & Renaissance Walls that will be automatically obsoleted anyway. Although, there is that new mystery building @ Computers that could be a defensive improvement. Maybe it could be Urban Defenses has moved techs and has to be hard built now, instead of freely granted. The fact is, until we know definitively whether there have been changes to Siege units and/or defensive buildings (Incl. UD), this is all pretty much conjecture.
    Still wouldn't convince me to upgrade my walls in the base game. I have better things to spend production on. The only reason I upgrade them now is because I've modded them to increase Outer Defense, Ranged Strike, & Loyalty.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  9. regeneration64

regeneration64 Warlord

Correct me if I am wrong, but now GS is out, is this correct? It seems odd that Renaissance Walls now give more HP than Urban Defences. If you have production to spare (rare I know!) then is it now worth building them? I've not experimented as of yet but if you do build Renaissance Walls, when Urban Defenses comes round do the walls revert back to 200 HP...?

10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

All walls become obsolete with Urban Defenses. Each level adds +100 Defense up to 300hp and then UD gets 400hp total.

Arent11 likes this.
  11. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

The design decision to have any pre-industrial unit have more than 1 tile range is silly, I think. Tiles represent at least whole city districts, but even a long bow has an effective range of at most 200-300 meters. They are trying to put within-battle tactics within strategic game, which is weird.

I think they should have used a 'wesnoth' style system, with units having melee and ranged strength, and the attacker choosing the engagement range: a sword attacking an archer is a melee fight, and archer attacking a sword a (one-sided) ranged fight. But an archer getting attacked by an archer would be able to shoot back, just like a swordsman hits back at an attacking swordsman. The only exception should be actual siege weapons like heavy artillery, bombers, and rockets (and maybe catapults), for which it actually makes sense that it has "strategic" range.

Arent11 likes this.
  12. Arent11

Arent11 King

Well, "old" games like master of magic, master of orion etc. switched to a tactical map if a battle occured. That is of course bad for multiplayer, so you somehow want to integrate tactical & strategic combat directly on the world map.

The best ways I know to do that is actually really games like Wesnoth, Fantasy General or just the classic civilization games.