1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AND on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Kwami, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Yes, I read the FAQ. Unfortunately, the two options offered in the FAQ are both horrible. The first disables a great security feature (UAC) and the second requires me to type an administrator password every time I launch AND and actually requires me to run a game as an administrator. That's terrible!

So, has anyone come up with a better solution for running AND in Windows 7? It looks like the major problem is that the mods want to write configuration files that are improperly stored in the Program Files directory instead of in my user directory. Does anyone know a way to fix that?

Thanks!

2. os79

os79 Deity

You are being a smartass, huh? OK, here is a smartass answer: install Civ4&BtS to directory outside of Program Files.

3. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Uh, I was asking a legitimate question. Running applications as an administrator is a security risk. So is turning off UAC. Neither solution is acceptable, so I was wondering if anyone had come up with a workaround.

I don't know if Civ IV requires configuration files to be place in the Program Files directory, but I doubt that since it created a directory in My Documents\My Games for just that reason. It looks to me as though RoM+AND is to blame for this.

Installing the entire game in another directory is not ideal, either. Programs go in Program Files. I'm looking more for something that just redirects the config files, maybe. Is there an option somewhere in BUG that lets it read config files from a different location?

4. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I urge other people to read this paragraph very slowly. Yes, it is a contradiction.

Seriously though, you can install it into Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods, and run it from there. That should work without disabling UAC and Running as Admin. ;)

5. Kwami

Kwami Deity

No it's not. The problem is that it actually runs as administrator, not that I have to type the password every time. UAC is one of the best things Microsoft ever added to Windows. I can't imagine why it took them so long to do it!

Thank you! Does that work for multiplayer, too?

6. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I'm not going to argue the virtues or vices of UAC. I just found it odd that you loved it, and then bashed the fact you had to use it with RAND to run it. You can't have it both ways. ;)

Should. :)

7. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Much thanks! :)

8. zitro

zitro Chieftain

Hi, I am very interested in your mod, but neither of these methods worked when I load this particular mod. It goes back to my desktop, loads the game back for 2 seconds without actually going back to the game.

Edit: I need to update to v3.19.