Anglo-Saxons (31/05/11)

As a descendent of Anglo-Saxons who migrated to the colonies, I appreciate and welcome these great units. Thanks Plotinus.

Up to at least the Civil War it was common in the USA to list the date in the English fashion. I don't know why it changed.

Regarding Dates and the different ways they are presented...

Basically, the different ways in America began for just that reason...to be different.

Most People learn the ways of the Society in which they live and do not question the many simple or irrelevant things.

Americans have learned to speak the Month, Day then Year in conversations and think it more appropriate while Europe speaks the Day, Month then Year. Both are a matter of learned behavior as well as a learned way of thinking.

Europeans could say that the order should be Day, Month then Year based on smallest to largest but then an American could say their are only 12 months in a Year while there are more days in a Month.

Really, no matter how the differences started, such as driving on opposite sides of the road, it is all now a matter of a learned way to act, think, write and speak according to where one lives...it is no big deal at all however, many people become afraid of differences and all anger comes from Fear :)

The kite-shields were also the (Anglo-Saxon) hallmark of the Housecarls (purportedly the best infantry in Europe at the time) not the thegns et. al. Also, if by knights one means armored men on horseback, that would have only been the Norman invaders.

Also, the part of the Bayeau Tapestry shown depicts the capture of Dinan, in Britanny.

Best,

Oz

Really, no matter how the differences started, such as driving on opposite sides of the road, it is all now a matter of a learned way to act, think, write and speak according to where one lives...it is no big deal at all however, many people become afraid of differences and all anger comes from Fear :)

Yeah, 'cuz Americans are scared of the Brits. :p

Re the date order, It's not just Europe, in New Zealand we write it like England too. Australia is probably the same. I think any country that uses British English writes it that way. Conversly here in Korea, where I am now, they write it the reverse (reverse of British English) 2011.05.31.

Yeah, Aussies do it the same way

Great units Plot. Its been said before, but love the capes :thumbsup:

ozymandias i must agree with you regarding the misuse of roman terms such as milites, loricati and so on, so one could be termed as a knight, without really beeing one..
also i would say that the use of a such a long guard on the sword seems also to be around 1100, not saxon around 1000, i would ask again plotinus to add the long shirt on the unit and making in this way a very spectacular heavy infantryman. i would also ask him politely not be upset, nor to think about me i would made the comment as an attack, but simply as a demand for heaving a better time while playing such beautifull units. thank you plotinus. :bowdown:

i did not want to edit the post but i only noticed now there is a nice sutton hoo helmet on the head of the thegn , could i also ask for a larger pedia icon, one in which the head of the soldier is clearly visible?? thank you

As everyone else is saying, great units, Plotinus!!! As always, they look nice AND are well animated.

Funny that so much of this thread has turned into a debate over how dates are written. :lol: I guess the question for this should be, how would the anglo-saxons of that time have written the date?! ;)

They are of quality. Well done. I especially like the second attack animation of the Thegn. The swordfight looks more realistic this way.

Funny that so much of this thread has turned into a debate over how dates are written. :lol: I guess the question for this should be, how would the anglo-saxons of that time have written the date?! ;)

Probably would have faced problems without Arabic numerals and Gregorian calendar :) By the way Hungary represents dates in a third way :p

I can take credit for that. :)

I think I'll use these units in my mod.

ozymandias i must agree with you regarding the misuse of roman terms such as milites, loricati and so on, so one could be termed as a knight, without really beeing one..
also i would say that the use of a such a long guard on the sword seems also to be around 1100, not saxon around 1000, i would ask again plotinus to add the long shirt on the unit and making in this way a very spectacular heavy infantryman. i would also ask him politely not be upset, nor to think about me i would made the comment as an attack, but simply as a demand for heaving a better time while playing such beautifull units. thank you plotinus. :bowdown:

I understand, but I don't have time to do more requests, I'm afraid.

i did not want to edit the post but i only noticed now there is a nice sutton hoo helmet on the head of the thegn , could i also ask for a larger pedia icon, one in which the head of the soldier is clearly visible?? thank you

It's not possible to make a larger icon - the size is hard-coded. I always try to zoom in on the unit as much as possible, but the icons are not large and it is not easy to see much detail in them. That's just how the game is designed.

As everyone else is saying, great units, Plotinus!!! As always, they look nice AND are well animated.

They would have referred to the date by regnal year or by indiction (an unnecessarily complicated system of fifteen-year cycles). After Bede, use of the AD system became more common. You can see how Bede actually wrote it here.

Great units as always, Plotinus. Is this an indication that a graphics upgrade to Rood is in the works? ;)

Yes, as mentioned above. I'm just testing it now.

Yep, great units and an update of Rood a possibility! Trust me to have just uninstalled Civ 3!

Very nice pack and thank you very much for the link to Bede's writings, I've been wondering a lot about these subjects lately. I will read it carefuly :)

They would have referred to the date by regnal year or by indiction (an unnecessarily complicated system of fifteen-year cycles). After Bede, use of the AD system became more common. You can see how Bede actually wrote it here.

Thanks for the answer and link. That was actually quite interesting! :)

Reminds me of the M&B:Warband mod "Brytenwalda". That leads me to believe this could turn into some sort of a dark ages britain map/mod. That would be so legit.

Top Bottom