Anno Domini Classic : the demo is here at last!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got slammed playing as the Dacians. Playing catch up with some of the more advanced civs (Rome & Iceni in this case) I decided I could go on the offensive against some of my weaker neighbors like Florence to eliminate the potential for a two front war as soon as I got the right gov't. hunting the tech tree for where I could get quickly saw that Admin would give me Empire:
Spoiler :

(I didn't notice that there was no Empire icon at the bottom). Discovered the tech and entered the period of anarchy. Florence declared war on me right away; but I weathered it until I could get my new gov't started. No Empire choice! I looked at the Admin 'pedia entry again and clicked on the link to the Empire gov't entry:
Spoiler :

OK, so I'm caught flat-footed and in a war I can't sustain, but how do I get to Empire?:
Spoiler :

I remember that Admin leads directly to Currency and Philosophy, so I just have to find out where to get that "Culture" tech. Not so bad, right? So back to the tech tree, and the really bad news:
Spoiler :

:eek: No way at all to get Empire!

Ooops!! I obviously haven't updated the civilopedia :blush: ; sorry about that.

Empire is now a "flavour" form of government given to civs following a more generic route. The Dacian equivalent is representation.

"Culture" is automatically given to civs following the generic route (such as the Huns, whose flavour play is mainly in era one); "Dacian culture" is given automatically to the Dacians, which allows them to research unique technologies instead of the generic ones.

About time I posted here again.

Rob - I understand what you're saying, and with the non-existant support for civ 3 I can see why the prospect of using civ 4 would appeal.

Haven´t we all seen how big unit- creators have left over the years... so have great could be mods (Alexander The Great, by TWO creators).
There's still an Alexander the Great mod going. In fact, there is a public Beta Test going on now!
I'm not sure that cemo was talking about my mod there, but indeed there is still a mod in the works for old Alex. :) Now that my busiest period at work has finished (yipee :D) I should be able to get back to modding. A new version should be out soon for more testing.
ENOUGH THREAD-JACKING KERORO. :mischief:

The Jutes are about to make an early assault on Bactra. RedAlerts cities look amazing in-game; note also I've put in the Indian tool age spearman ;) .

I LOVE that new spear unit, looks great in game.....on my new MacBook :)
i am going on vacation, and just got XP, Civ3, and AD all loaded up.

i plan to have a good time ;)

seriously, i haven't been posting too much on this thread, but i have been following it, and i just can't wait for the finished product.

The work on the mod is continuing; there are only a few buildings to add - which is good news, especially as I have only 21 slots left!! Still, the three Indian civilizations are finished (i.e. Harappa, Kushan and Maurya), except for adding some flavoured units (you'll notice, for example, that at the moment, the Indian War Elephant upgrades to Ancient Cavalry, which won't happen in the released version).

You want screenshots from all this Indian stuff? I've got quite a few!! Please note that whilst there are quite a few Indian buildings shown here, there's more in the mod :) . A massive thank-you goes out to Blue Monkey for all his help and Ogedei for the buildings :goodjob: !!

Firstly, then, here's the tech tree from the Indian point of view:
Spoiler :

Now for some buildings:
Spoiler :

Here are a couple of units:
Spoiler :

Government:
Spoiler :

In-game shots of the leaders
Spoiler :

In other news, I've given the Gauls a unique government (Gallic council) available from the start. It allows 3 military police (a little better than 2, as per despotism) and all units are free. The tech rate is still 70% though. I've replaced Justinian with ED's Basil II for the Byzantines. Actually, there's quite a bit of news, but I'll update you with the important stuff over the next few days ;) .

One thing, before I forget - the Indian War elephant's stats - it combines the best from the horseman and the archer - kind of two units in one, giving me the space to put something else (caste system, as it happens).

You might notice in the screenshots above that I'm yet to go through the civilopedia with a fine toothcomb - there are some items stating that India is the only civ that can build or research them, I need to change those to Harappa, Kushan and Maurya.

Incidently, if you're reading Ares, you might have noticed a building available with Military Training at the beginning of era three ;) . (Hint 1: Byzantines unique wonder; hint 2: you made it ;) )

5 banana bhangra bollywood dances for the previews, which mean the immanent approach of the Indians:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
A massive thank-you goes out to Blue Monkey for all his help and Ogedei for the buildings :goodjob: !!
IIRC there's another builder to thank as well. Thank you and the unit and improvement builders for bringing my thoughts and wishes into existence.

I noticed you put my Mahajanapada icon to use. I like the stats you picked for the gov't form as well. I also saw Dentistry in there along with the elephant icons in my short look at the tech tree, which seems full of interesting choices for a civ's "critical path". Thanks for the vote of confidence in my icon making.

I'm unfamiliar with some of the building graphics, where did you find them?
Anyone ready to play as one of the Indian civs yet ;) ?
:wavey: Pick me! Pick me! If all three are there I'll have to play with all three in, and three times so I can try out each.

I've been carrying out the mundane task of getting the science advisor talking about the right technology. With around 250 advances, that can be dull! However, I've now done 210 of those and it does improve the look of that screen and it's well worth having done it.

I've around 20 improvements to add and about the same number of technologies. The next stage is to add as many "flavour" units as possible. Following that, there's the need to go through the civilopedia with a fine toothcomb and ensure that the entries are correct.

All-in-all, we're looking at an early August release - but a full release at that!! I'd say that I need two more weekends at the most. I know I'd said I was looking to upload another demo, but I've done much more than I expected, so it's worth finishing the job ;) . Obviously, there would still be a revisit in a couple of months to add any new art that was available :) .

Here are some screenshots of the Hyksos. This shows how I plan to set up the civiliopedia for the civilizations; one page showing their history, the other showing their gameplay. Actually, the Hyksos have less unique stuff than other civilizations, but what they do have is the perfect combination for an early domination of your region :eek: . Believe me, I've played as them a few times; it gives you an excellent start ;) . Thanks to utro43 for requesting the leaderhead for his mod - it gave me a prompt to put them in the main Anno Domini Classic biq.

Spoiler :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom