Anno Domini Classic : the demo is here at last!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im playing the demo and am very impressed with the details and it's
really a lot of fun. Here are some things i noticed:

The most annoying is the constant crashing of the game. (i.e. the file 'numidian horesman' not find, the game will now exit),

every time i try to look in civilopedia for small wonders it also crashes.

some of the governments arent defined so i don't know to what im switching.

i think you should change the population number in the city screen to a smaller one.

im playing the demo and am very impressed with the details and it's
really a lot of fun. Here are some things i noticed:

The most annoying is the constant crashing of the game. (i.e. the file 'numidian horesman' not find, the game will now exit),

every time i try to look in civilopedia for small wonders it also crashes.

some of the governments arent defined so i don't know to what im switching.

i think you should change the population number in the city screen to a smaller one.

Thanks for the comments. Have you downloaded the update in post 2? That corrects some of the bugs. Don't forget it's only a demo and a lot of what you're suggesting has now been implemented.

Here's the lowdown on the Iceni:

Spoiler :

These are the last previews for now; if these haven't whet your appetite for the mod, nothing will ;) .

I've run into a minor problem; the number of units needing iron exceeds the number it can list, hence it comes up with a warning message. I believe I can overcome this by extending the "charcoal age" to Anno Imperii as well as Anno Domini; there's not as much variance in the units (particularly in the final era); era two has lots of flavour units (so that, for example, all units are cheaper for one civ, have +1HP for another, are invisible for another and amphibious for yet another - I'm sure you get the picture!) I could, of course, remove the requirement of iron for mounted units - just have horses - what do you think?

Must play Anno Domini update...

I think the Iron problem shouldn't matter. Just make sure you put in the first post in big bold red letters about it. Not that doing that would deter newbs from reporting the problem to you in a couple of years time ;)

I think the Iron problem shouldn't matter. Just make sure you put in the first post in big bold red letters about it. Not that doing that would deter newbs from reporting the problem to you in a couple of years time ;)

It kind of matters to me ;) . Another solution would be to have two lots of iron resource, iron ore and wrought iron - but I think that's too messy :) .

Do people like how I've done the civilopedia entries for the civilizations?

Heck yeah! :D

You may just want to clean up some minor typos... I've seen Romans as "Ro mans" somewhere.

Heck yeah! :D

You may just want to clean up some minor typos... I've seen Romans as "Ro mans" somewhere.

I'm looking out for that, but they're not actually typos. I've found that if a paragraph is quite large, it breaks a word in half at some point. This is only visible in-game, not when you're actually editing the text file.

I'm glad you like the civilopedia entries ;) .

ya looks like an articulate breakdown. Your historical bios are always great reads to. Im guessing from what I see so far, you havn't planned on there being any backround entries for the buildings n units?

I thought I heard you say somewhere early on that the pedia was going into more depth this time around. Don't worry though :) , the quality job put forth everywhere else makes these minor detailings just a small afterthough or luxery I can live without.

The MEM mod was done with complete pedia job but that was two person team so I appreciate your solo effort here(in pedia dept).

Yep, I have the exact same problem in my mod, but with many more units, to the point it can crash the games instead of simply displaying a warning :(

That's why I try to provide a complete doc via Excel spreadsheet

I'm looking out for that, but they're not actually typos. I've found that if a paragraph is quite large, it breaks a word in half at some point. This is only visible in-game, not when you're actually editing the text file.

I'm glad you like the civilopedia entries ;) .

The entries make sense, yes. You probably already know this, but with the 'typo' issue, you'll find that if you put regular breaks into the civilopedia file then this will not happen. Since there will only be a new line in the game where you've put the ^ symbol this should sort the text out nicely.

I'm doing a load of civpedia editing myself ATM, and if you don't already use one I would strongly recommend a tool of some sort. I prefer the one Steph did myself.

EDIT - speak of the devil, hello Steph! Rather a drawn out cross post there due to me not refreshing my screen often enough. :)

ya looks like an articulate breakdown. Your historical bios are always great reads to. Im guessing from what I see so far, you havn't planned on there being any backround entries for the buildings n units?

I thought I heard you say somewhere early on that the pedia was going into more depth this time around. Don't worry though :) , the quality job put forth everywhere else makes these minor detailings just a small afterthough or luxery I can live without.

The MEM mod was done with complete pedia job but that was two person team so I appreciate your solo effort here(in pedia dept).

Many of the items in the mod actually do have background entries; I just don't see it as a priority when the mod is in development. Most of the units and buildings I've previewed are new; many techs and buildings are rather ficticious; for example, the Hyksos having governor's residences? It's just a way that the mod allows the effects - i.e. something to reduce war weariness in this instance. Other buildings I feel don't need historical entries - i.e., there's the normal barracks with background info. There's also barracks for different civs (some costing maintenance, others having extra effects); do they all need historical background information, or does the link in the text to the regular barracks, with it's background info suffice? I will try to add some more background info, but it's not the biggest priority for me; the main job (IMHO) is to get an accurate civilopedia, which tells the player what he needs to know in terms of actually playing the game - especially in a mod like this where every civ has its differences.

You mentioned the MEM mod, which is a brilliant piece of work; it does come from a period where there is more information about the various buildings and units - and every unit and building is historically correct IIRC. Don't forget as well that I'm reaching the building limit - i.e. there'll be 256 buildings in the mod!!

Ya I didn't mean to sound like jerk. Sorry I figure you'd heard enough my admiration for this work to know im appreciative of all your efforts with this standout project.
Im just trying to say how after all the hard stuff is done, a simple coat of polish can really make it much more immersive for those intrested in history aspects. Even by just using some wiki and paste, walah! everything you build is backed up by some kind of supportive storyline. Its a bonus not something needed by any majority :)

I thinks it more then just me. When I build something sometimes I like to read its place in history. I agree its tedius work for the modmaker, not necassary for gameplay and like you say, not all things can be written about historically but still, its cooler if its there, ya dig? (ex: Balancer has full 2 sided pedia entries for its mech units and false wonders!)

You had more then the basics before and that was great. Thats all I wish for. Thanks again man. Never meant to be disrespectful so you know. Peace.

You didn't sound disrespective at all and I didn't take issue with your comments; you were only stating your point of view after all. I was merely stating that some items are fictional (like the Hyksos governor's palace) and therefore don't actually have any history, whilst others are repeat buildings - i.e. Goth barracks instead of normal barracks - so there's nothing other than the usual barracks text to talk of. I have used wiki quite extensively and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the civilopedia.

*cough* Map *cough*
Would it be worth cropping it to eliminate the parts (like eastern Asia) that are beyond the scope of the mod?
Just a quickie - here's a little in-game addition to thank one of the mod's contributors:

Thank you, I've always wanted an homage. I really love in-jokes.

I've run into a minor problem; the number of units needing iron exceeds the number it can list, hence it comes up with a warning message. ... I could, of course, remove the requirement of iron for mounted units - just have horses - what do you think?
Can an improvement be a requirement for building a unit? If so then Smithy, for example, could be a requirement for some of the "iron" units. Or maybe a "Farrier" building for the mounted units? If that would work, limit the building itself rather than the units with the iron resource and maybe even further by requiring river access to build it.

do they all need historical background information, or does the link in the text to the regular barracks, with it's background info suffice?
For what it's worth, here is what I do (or plan to do) in my mod for units, I suppose you can do the same for your buildings:
I make a generic civpedia entry, with full details on the game mecanism, and with background if possible.

Then I create one entry for each flavour, saying simply
"Unit FlavourX is the CivName flavour for $Link<Flavour=PRTO_Flavour>
Bonus is:

And in the background, I can add some info on the specificities of the flavoured version.

By the way, I've found it much easier to directly edit the text file than use my tool when doing it, as I place all the flavour just after the generic text, and works a lot with copy & paste.

Can an improvement be a requirement for building a unit? If so then Smithy, for example, could be a requirement for some of the "iron" units. Or maybe a "Farrier" building for the mounted units? If that would work, limit the building itself rather than the units with the iron resource and maybe even further by requiring river access to build it.
Unfortunately, it's not possible, unless you make the building a requirement for another building that auto produce the units.
But then you'll quickly reach the 256 limits for building.

That's one of the key point I would have addressed if I had access to the source code.

Although you can use a SW to be a preq. for all non-bombarding "Iron" units after a specific point, using the Nuclear Missile flag. But that would take an improvement away...

Although you can use a SW to be a preq. for all non-bombarding "Iron" units after a specific point, using the Nuclear Missile flag. But that would take an improvement away...

How exactly would that work? I've not looked into it before, but it would be cool to have it so that from horsemanship onwards, all horse units can be built resource free - but require the blacksmith to have been built (who requires horses and iron to be built in the first place). I could then introduce charcoal in era three so that some of the load is put onto that resource.

So, do I simply make the blacksmith a SW, click on the "allows creation of nuclear weapons" flag and then ensure all my horse units have the "nuclear weapon" highlighted? Do they act exactly the same otherwise? Obviously, I could make it so that, for example, the Huns don't actually need to build this.

Thanks for the idea, it sounds really good :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom