Announcement: Europa Barbarorum for Civ!

Would you be willing to post what you have so far? I'd be willing to take on some aspects of an Arabian Civ. I noticed in your first post you said you had one, and were looking for others. I have some ideas for them.

I'm pleased to see this mod. :mischief:

Would you be willing to post what you have so far? I'd be willing to take on some aspects of an Arabian Civ. I noticed in your first post you said you had one, and were looking for others. I have some ideas for them.

Sorry I didn't notice your post:blush: Yes there is an Arabian civ, I just haven't converted it from EB to Civ format. I plan to do so very soon, and will include it in the next Update of Ionut's Civs.

Aranor, good to see you back at work... I only wished I were the same. :(

Still, although I am nearly retired of the modding business, I still have my old offer of helping you a bit with the music and sounds and stuff. :D

Nice to see this mod getting back on track (I think).:)

I would volunteer to help again but unfortunately I've just got too much work to do as it is... I could be a beta tester though once you are in that phase of development.

Double post. My computer seems to be acting up...

Nice to see this mod getting back on track (I think).:)

I would volunteer to help again but unfortunately I've just got too much work to do as it is... I could be a beta tester though once you are in that phase of development.

Thats ok I can understand the workload side of things. When I am at a beta testing point I will drop you a line (Thats a loooooong way off however).

BtW: The Hayasdan are finished and look great ;) Only Tigranes is not perfect but pretty close.

Thats ok I can understand the workload side of things. When I am at a beta testing point I will drop you a line (Thats a loooooong way off however).

BtW: The Hayasdan are finished and look great ;) Only Tigranes is not perfect but pretty close.

Great!:goodjob:

EBCIV Preview No1: Unit Concepting.

Welcome to the first in a series of previews in which I will explain the processes that go into creating EB. Hopefully I can get right into the nuts and bolts of the original EB for Rome Total War as well as shedding some light on how I will proceed as the mod progresses.

In this first preview I will describe how the EB team designs its units from the ground up with a team of highly skilled historians and artists. For those not familiar with the mod Europa Barbarorum, it is a total conversion of the game Rome: Total War. “The project started out in January 2004 as a team with the intent of informing The Creative Assembly about the historical nature of the "barbarian" factions in Rome: TW. Our aim was to gather as large an amount of historical information as we could and pass it on to the Creative Assembly, prior to R:TW's release, in order for their portrayal of the "barbarian" factions in the game to be more accurate.

Later, the team expanded their aim to also correcting the ahistorical representation of Egypt, and several other aspects concerning other factions. As it became clear that CA would not use this sort of information in R:TW, the group decided to transform the project into a modification. Our effort has grown from this starting point to become what is possibly the largest R:TW mod project in development.” EuropaBarbororum.com

While the process for Concepting units in EBCIV is markedly simpler than in EB as most of the units created will be from the EB: TW template already laid out, it is still more complicated than me creating a unit and saying “sweet that looks cool, I’ll throw that one in too!” So let’s start at the beginning. I’ll follow the development of the Parthian Grivpanvar cataphract as they are the unit I am working on now.

To begin with the unit is researched by EB’s historians who debate the general style of the unit based on actual accounts of the time ( i.e.: pottery, freezes, writing of the time), they will post reference pictures in the EB private forums to steer the artist into the right direction. From here the unit is the assigned to one of EB’s talented artist to create a conceptual image for the modelers and skinners to work with.

Concept Drawing of the Grivpanvar:

The image is posted in the Concepting discussion thread for the historians to critique and approve the image before it is assigned to a modeler and then the skinner to create the unit in-game, all the while status reports are made to the historians in the concepting with screenshots to show the unit coming together, this is to ensure accuracy of the unit in question.

Now it comes to me! And the creation of the unit for EBCIV. As I said before the process is much less involved for me as the unit has already been concepted and approved for use in EB:TW. First (as many of the artists here will know) I try to get a feel for the unit I am creating, generally by loading up EB and playing a battle with said unit to learn its role on the battlefield and consider the best way to do the model justice. Once I am happy with the overall concept, I begin creating the 3d model ( since I cannot create 3d equipment in blender or Gmax myself I am limited to borrowing equipment from other models to get it to work). Once I have the model created I pull out the skin from the EB main database and use it as a reference to help with texturing the unit. I tend to go through several trail runs before I get a skin I am happy with. Then it’s sent to the main EB work thread for final approval with the EB team and then into the mod she goes.

Grivpanvar 1st Draft:

Grivpanvar 2nd Draft:

Needless to say there is still a little bit to go on this unit, but it is coming along nicely and resembles the original EB unit more and more with every addition.

I hope you all found that informative! Stay tuned for more insights into how the EBCIV mod comes together!

is this dead? interested to see this will look like

Judging by the fact that the last post before you was over two years ago, I'd say yes, it's dead.

same, well I love rtw... atleast I have my mod :D

Top Bottom