"Anonymous Vows Personal Attacks on U.S. Military Families, "War" on U.S."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it does sanction harassment. Look at Fred Phelps.
I don't know who that is. But if in America I call my neighbor ten times a day in order to tell him "Stupid!", it wouldn't be sanctioned by free speech, would it? But rather it would be harassment.
Now I don't know where exactly the line is drawn between harassment and free speech in America, but stealing personal data and publishing it should not be related to free speech anyway, but to freedom of information. And personal data is my and only my property - at least that is how I know it (there are exceptions like being a figure of public interest. but those exception also go only that far). Without my permission nobody is allowed to pass it on to a third party. Is that not so in America?

Ignorance truly is bliss in that case then SiLL ;)

I'd be eager to see vigilante justice wreaked upon most militaries, but this group need to be more deliberate in their targets.

Anytime you have groups or factions you're going to have leaders and worker bees. There will always be the possibility for mistakes along the way. This may not end well for some of those dogs.

I do find it comical that, not so anonymous, self promoter Barrett Brown was able to con NBC Nightly News into letting him on national news. Is he kidding? I'm more disappointed NBC didn't back check their story to see this guy is simply trying to promote his virtual self.

A leader of the computer hackers group known as Anonymous is threatening new attacks on major U.S. corporations and government officials as part of at an escalating “cyberwar” against the citadels of American power.

“It’s a guerrilla cyberwar — that’s what I call it,” said Barrett Brown, 29, who calls himself a senior strategist and “propagandist” for Anonymous. He added: “It’s sort of an unconventional, asymmetrical act of warfare that we’ve involved in. And we didn’t necessarily start it. I mean, this fire has been burning.”

A defiant and cocky 29-year-old college dropout, Brown was cavalier about accusations that the group is violating federal laws. He insisted that Anonymous members are only policing corporate and governmental wrongdoing — as its members define it.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41972190/ns/technology_and_science-security/

That is a very good point. Has Anonymous ever before used a spokesperson for anything?

It looks like someone should have been straightforward since the beginning. It should be no surprise your life is partially a lie in some way.

That is a very good point. Has Anonymous ever before used a spokesperson for anything?
Well, I guess ex-con Gregg Housh was once called the "unofficial spokesperson for the non existent group". Nice.

How about Barrett Brown purportedly contributing work to "The Onion". Satire?

Just google or youtube the guy.

Why do people insist Anonymous is a real person, if it's just a meme and some sort of syndoanarchist movement of anonymous net peoples?

Seems to me like accusing Killroy of winning WW2.

Why do people insist Anonymous is a real person, if it's just a meme and some sort of syndoanarchist movement of anonymous net peoples?

Seems to me like accusing Killroy of winning WW2.
Who believes it's someone real? However, someone better be careful, no?

Making mistakes will be lethal.

Anonymous seems to crack down on the slightest amount of stupidity over the internet. As long as target families aren't stupid on the internet, this will blow over.

Nonsense. They cause a lot of it.

Sure, but that's usual in response to stupidity on the internet, such as airing drama or being a Scientologist.

Sure, but that's usual in response to stupidity on the internet, such as airing drama or being a Scientologist.
What is this drama you speak of?

What is this drama you speak of?

I was under the impression that most of the lulz had by Anonymous stemmed from taking advantage of people airing dirty, emotional laundry about their private lives on the internet.

I'm fairly certain Project Chanology is dead. /i/ definitely is.

Although stuff like Chanology or getting idiots' dox or harassing camwhores was relevant to Anon being/causing large amounts of stupidity, what I had in mind was the more mundane stuff, such as the strong correlation between the subset of the internet that claims to hang out on /b/ and the subset of the internet that engages in lolhistory and/or lolatheism.

Who believes it's someone real? However, someone better be careful, no?

Making mistakes will be lethal.

Hiding behind Nom de guerre or cowering because individuals use them are both marks of cowardice. :)

If there's a moral imperative, file a class action lawsuit. Don't vandalize.

Hiding behind Nom de guerre or cowering because individuals use them are both marks of cowardice. :)

How about developing teams and allocating resources so the US government can use similar tactics to disrupt the activities of a political group or a country deemed to be the enemy, or even accused to be operating countrary to the interests of our government? Cowardice?

Or using psychological warfare where you intentionally deceive your enemy, or even your own citizens, in order to accomplish a military or political goal? Cowardice?

Or assassinating political leaders, or those merely suspected of crimes, even when there is no declared war? Cowardice?

If there's a moral imperative, file a class action lawsuit. Don't vandalize.

So you think a class action lawsuit could stop the US military from persecuting Bradley Manning? On what grounds? Can you even bring a class action lawsuit against the US government?

Personally I would love to see these people break the guy out of jail rather then harming innocents.

However I can't say those people torturing Bradley Manning are innocent and I certainly wouldn't care if they got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom