Another design for a star wars mod

Eneko Arizta

Chieftain
Hello everybody,

Here’s an alternative design for a Star Wars mod. I know nothing in modding so I can’t do it myself but I think this idea is worth being tested. I’ve noticed that many of the required art already exists.

MAPS
Aleatory maps with 9 tiles planets and surrounding space containing asteroïd fields or other dangers like in Final frontier. Ressources can be found on the planets as well as in space.

CIVILIZATIONS

1. Rebel Alliance
Leaders : Mon Mothma, Princess Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker
UU : X-Wings, Y-wings, Mon-Calamari cruiser, R2 worker droids
Planets : Yavin, Hoth, Alderaan, Dantooine, Bespin, Endor, ...

2. Galactic Senate
Leaders : Vallorum, Palpatine, Darth Vader
UU : Clone stormtroopers, Star Destroyer, TIE-fighters, AT-AT
Planets : Coruscant, Corellia, Kuat, Malastare, Naboo, ...

3. Sith
Leaders : Revan, Malak
UU : Sith troopers, Sith fighters, Sith interdictor (like the Leviathan), ...
Planets : Korriban, Malachor, Taris, ...

4. Separatist Confederacy
Leader : Count Dooku
UU : Battle droids, (round) Trade Federation cruiser, Vulture droid fighters, Geonosian warriors
Planets : Geonosis, Cato Nemoidia, Muunilist, Utapau, Mustafar, ...

5. Rakatans
Leader : The One
UU : Rakatan warriors, Rakatan droids, Rakatan starships, ...
Rakata, Manaan, ...

6. Mandalorians
Leader : Mandalore
UU : Mandalorian warriors, Basilisc assault ships, Mandalorian cruisers, ...
Planets : Dxun, ...

7. Remnants
Leaders : Thrawn, Pellaeon
UU : Noghri warriors, TIE-tanks, Upgraded Star Destroyer, ...
Planets : Biss, Wayland, Honoghr, ...

8. Hutt Cartel
Leader : Jabba
UU : Gamorrean warriors, Sail barges, ...
Planets : Nal Hutta, Nar Shadaa, Ytoria, Tatooine, ...

9. Yuuzhan Vong
Leaders : Shimrra, Nom Anor
UU : Yuuzhan Vong warriors, Voxyn creature, Yuuzhan Vong starships,
Planets : Yuuzhan’tar, ...

10. Corporate Sector
Leader : Baron Tagge
UU : Espos, ...
Planets : Ammuud, Bonadan, Roonadan, Etti, Kalla, Kail, Kir, Orron, Duroon, Mytus VII, Gaurick, Rampa, Mall'ordian, Reltooine, Knolstee, Mayro, Fibuli, Ekibo, Pypin, Brochiib.

Note that the Galactic Empire is the same civ as the Galactic Republic, with just another government civic. I called this civ “Galactic Senate” because its a confederacy of systems whose representatives gather in the Galactic Senate. This governing body exists both during the Republic and the Empire times. Of course, it has almost no power if the government civic is Empire.

COMMON UNITS :
These units can be built by any civilization, regardless of the religion.
- Victory-class Star Destroyer
- Corellian Corvette (like the Tantive IV)
- Lambda Shuttle
- Dreadnaughts
- Medical Frigate
- Colonization Starship (like the one Anakin and Padme use in Ep.2 to go to Naboo)
- Worker droids
- Wookiees
- Rodian soldiers
- Quarren soldiers
- Swoop bikers
- Speeders
- Trained Rancors
- Trained Acklays
- Trained Fambaas with shield generators
- Construction ships
- Troop transport starships
- Z-95 fighter
- ARC fighter (ep. 3)
- Personnal starships (transport one Jedi, bounty-hunter, priest, great artist, ...)

RELIGIONS :

1. Light Side
Symbol : small Yoda’s face
Spread by : Jedi
Cult building : Temple of Light
Monastery : Jedi Academy
Sanctuary : Jedi Temple (only in the Holy city)

2. Dark Side
Symbol : small Darth Maul’s face
Spread by : Dark Jedi
Cult building : Temple of Darkness
Monastery : Dark Jedi Academy
Sanctuary : Star Forge Temple (only in the Holy city)

Dark Jedi are not to be confused with the Sith. The Sith are a civilization. You can play as the Sith and choose the Light Side if you want.

3. True Way
Symbol :
Spread by : Priest
Cult building :
Monastery :
Sanctuary :

There can be only one religion on a planet. To spread your religion to a planet, you have to remove other religions first. If the religion of a planet is different from your state religion, this planet is very likely to protest.

JEDI, DARK JEDI, PRIEST, BOUNTY-HUNTER, VOXYN CREATURE :

Most units in the game are armies but these ones are individuals. All of them are invisible to most enemies and can perform spying missions. They can fight one against other but they are less effective fighting other units. With a good promotion, one of these warriors can face alone a group of low-tech soldiers but even a Jedi Master won’t resist against a complete batallion of stormtroopers (remember episode 3). These units use Personnal starships to travel through space. Invisibility and detection conditions of these ships are the same as their pilots.

Each kind of unit has specific promotions. Example for the Jedi : Padawan, Jedi Knight, Jedi Guardian, Jedi Master, ...

Jedi and Dark Jedi have almost the same caracteristics but some of their promotions are different. The Voxyn Creature is the Yuuzhan Vong unique unit replacing the Bounty Hunter. The priest is very weak if he has to fight.

Jedi and Dark Jedi can detect : Jedi and Dark Jedi
Priest can detect : Priest
Bounty-Hunter can detect : Priest, Bounty-Hunter, Voxyn Creature
Voxyn Creature can detect : all

Once one of these invisible units has been detected, any unit can fight it.

Jedi, Dark Jedi and priest can spread their religion to a planet that has no religion. This destroy the unit so don’t choose experimented ones for this kind of mission. They can also remove a religion from a planet. This doesn’t destroy the unit but ends his turn.

GOVERNMENT CIVICS
Clans : default civic, no effect.
Republic :
Empire :
Plutocracy (the rich rules, like in the separatist confederacy for exemple) : trading companies’ cost halved.

JUSTICE CIVICS
As usual

WORKING CIVICS
Same as usual but :
- Slavery causes a lot of protests in cities with Light Side religion.
- Castes system causes a lot of hapiness in cities with True Way religion.
- Emancipation causes a lot of protests in cities with Dark Side religion. No protest in such cities if emancipation is not chosen, even if it has been chosen by another civilization.

ECONOMIC CIVICS
As usual

NO RELIGIOUS CIVIC

TRADING COMPANIES

1. Czerka
Director : a Twi’lek with the czerka orange uniform

2. Trade Federation
Director : a Neimoidian

3. Ithorian Gardeners
Director : an Ithorian

4. Corellian Engineering Corporation
Director : a human businessman

5. Techno-Union
Director : a droid

6. Intergalactic Banking Clan
Director : a banker from Muunilist, with his green suit

GREAT WONDERS

1 Theed Palace : +100% culture, + Great Artist
2 Massasi Great Temple : +100% defense in this city, + Great Prophet
3 Star Forge : production multiplied by 4 on this planet, + Great Engineer
4 Otho Gunga : Requires a water tile on the planet, - 50% cost for naval units, + Great Scientist
5 Trayus Academy : reduced cost for religious buildings, + Great Prophet
6 Arena : No protest on this planet, + Great Engineer
7 Podrace circuit

GREAT PROPHETS AND GENERALS

Great prophets are named after legendary Jedi, Sith or Yuuzhan Vong priests. The graphic should show a robe that hides the specy of the prophet.

Great generals could be called : Han Solo, Moff Tarkin, Canderous Ordo, Grievous, Saul Karath, ...

BUILDINGS
Cantina
Opera
Shield generator
Ion cannon
Spaceport
Barracks

LAND IMPROVMENT
Moisture vaporator : +1 food in desert

RESSOURCES
Bacta
Tibanna gas
Spice

VICTORY

1. TIME, CONQUEST, DOMINATION, CULTURE
As usual

2. DEATH STAR RUN
This replaces the Space Run victory. When you complete the Death Star, you’ll be granted a Death Star Run victory if Dark Side is your State religion. Death Star components requires high technologies and can be built only in cities with the Dark Side religion. If your capital is invaded, your unfinished Death Star is destroyed and you have to restart a new one.

3. DIPLOMATIC VICTORY
The siege of the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances can be built only in a city with Light Side religion. Then, you can be elected as its leader if your State religion is Light Side. It works the same as the United Nations.

4. RELIGIOUS VICTORY
If True Way is your State Religion, you can achieve a Religious Victory by spreading it to ALL the planets.

Waaoo! It is an impressive post.
It will take time to digest all what you suggest...
However, I currently wonder if the mod is still in active mode. BTS' Final Frontier might have killed it...

Not a bad listup even if there's some details I don't like. It'd be cool to have some sort of Dark/Light Side system that you can't directly control. Your actions in the cities and your civics would determine the aligment of the cities. Not simple to conceptuice and undoubtebly tricky to code, but it would be cool.

How about the Jedi/Sith are 2 coperations that work against each other, to seperate them from others, while good side/ dark side stays as a required religion (If you can do it)? Religion seems more like a belief, while Jedi/Sith seem more coperationish (I know it's not a word). Also, didn't Palpatine sorta win a Diplomatic victory when he became emperor, even though he's on the dark side?

The 'Millenium Falcon' should be some sort of unique unit. Huge movement but relatively weak power.

Personally I wouldn't treat Jedi/Sith as religions. After all, those matters are decided by a small Force-sensitive elite and a common being on the street doesn't have much say on it, or even knowledge. Not much of a religion in Civ sense. Species as religion is a better idea, because everyone is of some sentient species.

Dunno, actually...

It's a dangerous problem :p

If we instead could make 2 rows if seperate religions instead we COULD make it: species and force alignment.

It's important to remember that people still had enough knowledge to know a difference in them, despite they most likely didn't agree.

I wonder if we can make 2 rows under cities (or maybe one over and place the other one under the 'building bar'?)

Could use the religion system for aligment, I guess. They'd have to be exclusive, of course. Being light, dark and neutral all at the same time wouldn't fit.

Corporations can be moded to be act exactly as religions... so there, two sets of "religions", ready made.

my opinion on the force issue is that it should be entirely out of your control, but your actions can affect the spread.

I think that the force should be made as civics. For example, you could choose between Light, Dark, Lack of Knowledge (default), Shamanism, or something that is completely against the use of the force in general. Light, Dark, and Lack of Knowledge are self explanatory. I think that Shamanism is basically having people think that the force is magic, and having "Shamans" have all the knowledge about it, and be able to heal people and such. They would only have rudimentary knowledge about it, though, so it wouldn't be too effective.

These are pretty good ideas, we'll definetly consider them.

I agree with sovin nai, that force should be civics. We already decided as religions for species, so it would make sense for force to be civics.

Hmm I've been looking at this mod for a while and theres a big problem so far...there are too many civs!! Exactly *what era* is this mod supposed to be set in?

I think the beginning of the republic is way too far to in time to be even remotely relevant to the mod. There isn't enough EU material to base anything to build the mod on in that era.

The "Old" Republic? I think there's plenty of material especially around the circa 4000 BBY era with kotor and comics and all that. Beginning of Republic may be more unknown, but information about that is not as vital, IMO. I envision the basic game sort of like vanilla civ is with civilizations from various eras all starting at 4000 BC. Not that realistic in that sense. Scenarios will be more focused on specific eras.

"Scenarios" on episodes eventually combined to form a larger epic game, or have I misunderstood?

Top Bottom