anti-aliasing: On DX10 cards, AA will be disabled if you set leader graphics to high

Takeda

Warlord
Everything's working fine for me with one minor/major? exception:

anti-aliasing doesn't seem to work at all. I've tried all anti-aliasing options available and even tried forcing AA through the Nvidia control center.

No difference and the game has noticeable, but not terrible, jaggies

anyone else have this weird issue?

UPDATE:

did some digging in the games .ini files. Turns out Civ V uses some newfangled anti-aliasing technology that isn't supported by most dx10 hardware! :mad:

This really infuriates me. They're going to design a game that forces all but those owning the most ABSOLUTE BLEEDING EDGE hardware to play without anti-aliasing!! Forcing dx9 users to go without AA is fine, their hardware is obsolete and they should expect some sacrifices in playing the game. But dx10 is supported by most, reasonably current, gaming hardware, while dx11 is only supported by the absolute latest stuff.

UPDATE TO MAH UPDATE:

After doing further digging I discovered exactly what the issue is. It turns out that the newfangled AA being used in the game only applies to the LEADER SCREENS and only when those leader screens are set to HIGH DETAIL. In other words, if you have a dx10 card: Don't set the Civ leaders to HIGH DETAIL.

Any other settings can be fiddled with to your hearts content, but keep the civ leaders set to medium detail and AA will work with DX10 hardware. Of course if you have DX11 hardware, AA will work with civ leader detail set to high.

My screen just becomes black when I try to turn on AA. (This is on a mobility radeon 5650).

After 10 secs or so it reverts back.

Yes.

Same here. Initially I thought it was maybe just me not noticing the effect.

The game runs soooooooo much better in Directx9 mode so I just switched to that since AA wasn't working anyway.

EDIT: It's weird... but the game actually looks anti-aliased in DX9 mode even though the entire option is disabled in the video menu. Try DX9 mode, OP.

it could be that dx9 AA is not possible due to deferred shading/rendering. must use dx10 and up.

Yes, like I said I tried in DX10 mode (I have a DX10 capable card), the AA settings can be changed but they seem to have no effect.

However, in DX9 mode, the setting is disabled but the game looks MUCH less jagged.

it could be that dx9 AA is not possible due to deferred shading/rendering. must use dx10 and up.

I'm playing in dx10 mode, sounds like this problem is pretty universal

prolly just have to wait for a patch. Which is fine, it's not a huge issue and they aren't that noticeable

I'm playing in dx10 mode, sounds like this problem is pretty universal

prolly just have to wait for a patch. Which is fine, it's not a huge issue and they aren't that noticeable

Try DX9 mode, Takeda.

It looks so much better to me, maybe it will to you as well.

I think AA becomes less important the higher the resolution you're playing on--maybe you're playing at 1080p or above, so that's why you can't tell a difference? I know there is some point at which it doesn't matter and it is of no use having it on. Ironically, if it's the higher GPU cards that can handle it better, those same cards are the ones usually used at a higher resolution (thereby not needing the feature!).

I think AA becomes less important the higher the resolution you're playing on--maybe you're playing at 1080p or above, so that's why you can't tell a difference? I know there is some point at which it doesn't matter and it is of no use having it on. Ironically, if it's the higher GPU cards that can handle it better, those same cards are the ones usually used at a higher resolution (thereby not needing the feature!).

Playing on 1680 X 1050 and got the same problem. Unit graphics are not looking that much better than the ones from Civ 4. Playing demo though.

For me AA in DX10/11 mode works only if I leave all graphic options at their default values.

Same problem here with DX10/11:

As a side note, it's still unbearably choppy in DX10/11 and i have a gaming/workstation rig built for 3D rendering and Animation (as well as super gaming). And while DX10/11 has un-greyed the AA options in the menu, i still can't get AA to work at all, i've tried forcing it with god knows how many programs, and tried binary AA compatibility strings, to no avail.

Still can't get AA to work in DX10/11, about to give up for the night. The new nVidia drivers fix performance issues in DX10/11 but still no AA, Application-based, or overridden.

If you're forcing the AA with your driver settings, and still seeing jaggies, then the problem is with your driver.

I'm kind of surprised that not many people seem to be talking about the AA. I can only guess it is not a problem for the vast majority. I have all the settings maxed, the game (demo) runs great but the AA is non existant. I'm on a moderately low resolution of 1280 x 1024, and it is quite noticable.

Top Bottom