anti-aliasing: On DX10 cards, AA will be disabled if you set leader graphics to high

If you're forcing the AA with your driver settings, and still seeing jaggies, then the problem is with your driver.

I assure you, it is not. AA works just fine on every other game.

When I run the game in window mode I can't set the AA, they are grayed out.

I'm kind of surprised that not many people seem to be talking about the AA. I can only guess it is not a problem for the vast majority. I have all the settings maxed, the game (demo) runs great but the AA is non existant. I'm on a moderately low resolution of 1280 x 1024, and it is quite noticable.
Have you tried reseting video options to defaults and turning AA then ? For me this is the only way. AA works as long as I don't change default video options(resolution, vsync and AA setting can be changed)

UPDATE:

did some digging in the games .ini files. Turns out Civ V uses some newfangled anti-aliasing technology that isn't supported by most dx10 hardware! :mad:

This really infuriates me. They're going to design a game that forces all but those owning the most ABSOLUTE BLEEDING EDGE hardware to play without anti-aliasing!! Forcing dx9 users to go without AA is fine, their hardware is obsolete and they should expect some sacrifices in playing the game. But dx10 is supported by most, reasonably current, gaming hardware, while dx11 is only supported by the absolute latest stuff.

This is completely outrageous

UPDATE TO MAH UPDATE:

After doing further digging I discovered exactly what the issue is. It turns out that the newfangled AA being used in the game only applies to the LEADER SCREENS and only when those leader screens are set to HIGH DETAIL. In other words, if you have a dx10 card: Don't set the Civ leaders to HIGH DETAIL.

Any other settings can be fiddled with to your hearts content, but keep the civ leaders set to medium detail and AA will work with DX10 hardware. Of course if you have DX11 hardware, AA will work with civ leader detail set to high.

UPDATE TO MAH UPDATE:

After doing further digging I discovered exactly what the issue is. It turns out that the newfangled AA being used in the game only applies to the LEADER SCREENS and only when those leader screens are set to HIGH DETAIL. In other words, if you have a dx10 card: Don't set the Civ leaders to HIGH DETAIL.

Any other settings can be fiddled with to your hearts content, but keep the civ leaders set to medium detail and AA will work with DX10 hardware. Of course if you have DX11 hardware, AA will work with civ leader detail set to high.

Just tested it and it really works that way. Thank you very much!
Edit: my config is Win7 64 bit with GF GTX 260

I'm using an ATI 4870 x2, in DX10 mode, with everything set to high and 4xaa, no jaggies. maybe it's just your card/machine?

I'm using an ATI 4870 x2, in DX10 mode, with everything set to high and 4xaa, no jaggies. maybe it's just your card/machine?

I'm using an ATI 4200 integrated chip - also DX10 - and saw no difference by switching the leader mode. I have two flaws: rivers are gray solids, and the clouds have semi-visible hex grids on the edges.

On the other hand, it switched the FOW from black hexes to clouds on a friend's laptop.

I have a GTX 260 running under Win7 64.

At first DX11 mode ran extremely slowly, but this got a lot better when I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia (a 122 Mb download).

Couldn't get AA to work at all until I tried this, with leader screens set to Medium. Thanks OP!

But...
1) Despite changing the settings on nVidia control panel for both the normal (DX9) and DX11 .exes, AA only works on DX9. Has anyone with a DX10 card managed to get AA working in DX10/11 mode?

2) In DX9 mode, I'm still getting jaggies on the leader screens. Is this the same for other people?

I've a similar problem, cant get a Anti Aliasing, with DirectX9.

how can i solve the problem. the grafik is really bad without AA

1) Despite changing the settings on nVidia control panel for both the normal (DX9) and DX11 .exes, AA only works on DX9. Has anyone with a DX10 card managed to get AA working in DX10/11 mode?

2) In DX9 mode, I'm still getting jaggies on the leader screens. Is this the same for other people?

The way leaders are rendered, DX9 mode can't AA them. DX11 mode only allows it with leader quality set to high (The option to turn on leader AA is actually the option that breaks AA entirely in 11 mode on some DX10-level cards)

Mostly it's nVidia cards that have this issue -- DX10.1 and 11 cards are required to support at least 4x AA for the formats the leaders use, and most of ATIs cards are 10.1.

From a quick look at the stats GeForce 400s, 300s except the 330, and the 205, 210, 220, and GT 240 (but NOT GTS 240) are the only cards they have that support at least 10.1. On ATI's side, all non-integrated HD 3000, and all the HD 4000s and above are 10.1.

Thanks for that.

I despair at Firaxis... having AA has been a very basic ability of graphics cards for years now... Civ 4 came out 5 years ago and did it flawlessly with hardware that seems prehistoric these days. Then they come out with this crap where you can only have AA using a cutting edge graphics card bought within the last 9 months... I mean, just what were they thinking? I really can't understand it. They even tried to artificially cripple the DX9 version by greying out AA in the options. Not cool at all. /rant

Top Bottom