Any Rugby fans?

FRA-RSA interesting game ;)

There was a moment when it looked like the Southern Hemisphere might get wiped out and we'd have an all-European final four, which sounds funny now. Barring England or Argentina finding an extra gear, I suppose we're looking at a NZ-SA final. Nothing against either team or country, but I have to admit that I was sorta hoping for a new champion. :dunno:

On the one hand, after the quarterfinals the Gladiator line "are you not entertained?" comes to mind. I think it is safe to say that was the best set of quarterfinals ever at a RWC. On the order hand the results have led to what appears to be an uninspiring semi final line up, and the least interesting possible final. It's been 20 years since someone other then New Zealand or South Africa has won the damn thing.

I feel especially sorry for Ireland and France, such good teams did not deserve to go out so soon. I have seen some people saying Ireland choked again. This seems unfair. They may have done so in the past, but they played very well on Saturday.

A New Zealand vs South Africa final beckons, I have seen many of their fans saying it was inevitable even before the quarterfinals were played. It will take a big upset to stop that happening. However it is possible. Argentina have been improving match by match (after the worst possible start) and only last year they beat New Zealand in New Zealand. England are the only undefeated side at the World Cup, and have won 3 out of their last 5 meetings against South Africa. So here is hoping that maybe the semi finals will surprise a few people!

Yeah, the weekend's matches were a hoot. I didn't expect to watch all four, but I did.

I was reminded during the France-S. Africa game how big professional athletes frequently are, when the replay of Eben Etzebeth's accidental headbutt on Uini Atonio was onscreen and one of the announcers noted off-handedly that Atonio - clearly the shorter of the two players - was 6' 5"/196cm. You see them on television and sometimes you forget they're all giants and the "little" guys are, like, 6'/183cm.

I was reminded during the France-S. Africa game how big professional athletes frequently are, when the replay of Eben Etzebeth's accidental headbutt on Uini Atonio was onscreen and one of the announcers noted off-handedly that Atonio - clearly the shorter of the two players - was 6' 5"/196cm. You see them on television and sometimes you forget they're all giants and the "little" guys are, like, 6'/183cm.

Yeah Dupont is considered a very small player and he's 174cm. Kolbe is a dwarf compared to the others and he's 171.

Last edited:
If Argentina wins today, would that be the biggest upset in RWC history? Japan over S. Africa in 2019 was big, but as that was the group stage, the stakes were lower. I have to pick New Zealand and South Africa if I'm going to be honest with myself, but I'm pulling for both underdogs. Plus, I think Argentina have the best-looking fans. :lol:

If you are a fan of six nations rugby then this tournament has been mostly just one big kick in the crotch! England played so well, and lose at the end by 1 point! The rugby world cup final is going to be like the soccer world cup final all over again, two great teams playing, both of whom I wanted to lose! On the positive I have heard a lot more talk about rugby world cup expansion to 24 teams, so at least USA should actually make it to the next tournament.
Hopefully the final delivers a great match.

So who do people think will win the world cup final?

I think New Zealand will win, but it could be a close one. New Zealand have looked the slightly better team in the knock out stage. Though South Africa did beat New Zealand comfortably in August when they met (35-7).
I hope for a good final, as we have had a fair number of duds in the past.
1987 = Mismatch
1991 = Boring
1995 = Good
1999 = Mismatch
2003 = Good
2007 = Boring
2011 = Good
2015 = Good/mismatch
2019 = Mismatch

Personally I want both teams to lose. But if forced to pick, I hope New Zealand win. South Africa have yet to experience the bitter taste of losing a world cup final.

South Africa won. Well deserved. They were much more concentrated.
I supported NZ and France.

Little bit of an anti-climax for me. The quarters and semis were a blast; the final was just okay. But all in all, I thought this World Cup was a real hootenanny. :thumbsup:

Six Nations starts today. France v Ireland in Marseille is the opener, 20:00 GMT / 3:00pm EST. Italy-England and Wales-Scotland tomorrow.

As ever with the Six Nations following the world cup, many teams are seeing some big changes. Is Ireland going to be as strong without Sexton ? Will England be as awful as last year ? So many questions.

I'm picking Ireland to win every match 60-0. :D

Yeah they're amazingly strong. Chances of them not winning the six nations are really low.

Scotland wuz robbed. :mad: I definitely saw the touchdown. TMO got it wrong. Good game, though. Ireland-Italy kinda boring. I missed England-Wales, which seems to have been a good one (and Scotland-Wales last weekend, which I also missed). It's looking dire for Wales, with two losses in winnable games, by a combined 3 points. England-Scotland should be good.

Yeah the power level seems to be Ireland >> Scotland and France >> the rest, but except for Ireland I could see any result happening : it's the beauty of the 6 nations

Well that was disappointing. Fair play to England.

Top Bottom