Any word on new DLC?

i would rather have a patch

In almost every case that we've had a DLC, we've had a patch around the same time, don't see why they would change this habit...

I don't think the Holy Roman Empire will be a DLC, it overlaps too much with what we already have...

The Hebrews is rather a political minefield, although, I agree it would be interesting.

The Zulus are the outstanding omission at the moment, we've been expecting them for a while, and they haven't arrived... does this mean it won't?

The Sioux, too, are interesting, but I can't recall them founding many cities, could they fall into the same category as the Zulus?

It's getting more and more difficult to find unique cities; might they change the code to allow some cities to be for more than 1 civ (maybe allowing only 1 of 2 civs at a time)? If they did that it probably wouldn't happen until an expansion, so some of those civs would need to wait.

Assyria is another interesting one, but most of it's cities have already been used...

The some of the best possibilities would seem to be in Asia.

I just hope we get at least 1 in November/December time, but suspect xp2 will have little or no new civs..

It's getting more and more difficult to find unique cities; might they change the code to allow some cities to be for more than 1 civ (maybe allowing only 1 of 2 civs at a time)? If they did that it probably wouldn't happen until an expansion, so some of those civs would need to wait.

I think there already is some overlap in game, though not as much as real life. Constantinople and Istanbul are the same city. Buffalo, I believe, is both an American and Iroquois city. I'm quite sure in one game with Rome I saw Londinium, which, of course, is London. And I think I've seen Nicopolis as both a Roman and Byzantine city. There is probably also some more overlap with Rome and other civs (specifically France, Greece, and Egypt), but I don't know enough to spot any case. Greece may also well have an Egyptian city or two in it's city list. I haven't played as the Celts yet, but they may very well have cities overlaping with ANY European civ, though in playing against them I have found their list quite limited.

At any rate, I'm quite sure there is already at least a little overlap.

I think that is pure conjecture. There was one German guy though that has supposedly always announced the DLCs before they happen.

It's also a patently unrealistic timescale for a second expansion, given that it took 2 years to produce Gods & Kings when they already had a good idea of the content they could include based on elements that were in past Civ games (espionage, religion and several of the civs), as well as having an 'easy sell' because religion in particular was a much-demanded feature. So G&K design was simply about deciding how to implement these concepts - for a second expansion they'll need to come up with new ideas as well as ways to both implement and sell them, so late 2014 is probably the earliest any second expansion would appear.

but the new expansion would include new content like some units, techs, and one or two features, so if someone wanted the new stuff and owned all the DLC, they'd essentially have to rebuy the whole DLC packs.

And look how much fuss just having Spain in caused. But the issue is one of packaging - there's no good reason they haven't done what most games do and sold a package deal: you can buy the expansion separately, or as a pack containing the expansion plus all DLCs for (obviously) an additional cost - $39.99 rather than $29.99, for instance.

It is 2012, the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812. That could make an interesting scenario for DLC packaged with Canada and another first nation civ. Perhaps a Civil War scenario could be included making it a North American DLC pack.

I expect the Zulu just because they're a classic, despite my misgivings about them.
I no longer expect the Sioux because the Huns dramatically reduced horse-nomad civ options.

There are a couple ways of going about this. One is to look for civs that don't have city-states. However, I think the majority of suggestions are currently city-states (Portugal, Indonesia, Moors, Missippians, Poland, Israel). And, while they have no problems replacing a city-state, I think they would have at least planned their first DLC beforehand and not used them as a city-state.

The Zulus aremy biggest wait for a DLC, I like them, they are really missing and I expect something better than a +1 movement Impi.

There are a couple ways of going about this. One is to look for civs that don't have city-states. However, I think the majority of suggestions are currently city-states (Portugal, Indonesia, Moors, Missippians, Poland, Israel). And, while they have no problems replacing a city-state, I think they would have at least planned their first DLC beforehand and not used them as a city-state.

Naw, I think they ought to just expand on the city-state concept a bit:

Allow them to take & KEEP other cities instead of always razing non-caps. If they take (& keep) a city however, they become a full-fledged civ diplomacy-wise in addition to their city-state status. :D

The details such as CS teching, economics would take some balancing, of course. Leader graphics would have to be abstracted probably. :crazyeye:

It is 2012, the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812. That could make an interesting scenario for DLC packaged with Canada and another first nation civ. Perhaps a Civil War scenario could be included making it a North American DLC pack.

Definitely a good idea, although I'd prefer a WWII scenario. I mean, seriously. It's probably the most important event of the last two centuries, why doesn't it have a scenario yet?

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think the chances are that Firaxis will update the older scenarios? I'd love to play some of them again (and some for the first time), but there's no way I can go back to the horrible combat mechanics of vanilla, especially in the Korea scenario.

Does anyone else ever play EU3?
I've had a blast with some nations from that game that would make excellent expansion civs.

Poland/Lithuania is one of the most important european nations in history, definitely needs to be represented.

Mughals would make a great alternative to "peaceful" India.

Vietnam would be a lot of fun too. Not many nations can turtle like Vietnam!

Does anyone else ever play EU3?
I've had a blast with some nations from that game that would make excellent expansion civs.

Poland/Lithuania is one of the most important european nations in history, definitely needs to be represented.

Mughals would make a great alternative to "peaceful" India.

Vietnam would be a lot of fun too. Not many nations can turtle like Vietnam!

I tried awhile back I could not get into it. You need patience for that game. I agree with the Poles and Mughals. They should add them. Vietnam would also be interesting. Three unique cultures.

I thought I had them all when I bought GOTY and the GK!

You mean I didn`t wait long enough! I don`t want to be nickel and dimed!

I thought I had them all when I bought GOTY and the GK!

You mean I didn`t wait long enough! I don`t want to be nickel and dimed!

Well, you're still missing the Korea & Wonders of the Ancient World pack.

But yeah, the nickle and dime model of DLC sucks.

Next DLC is probably going to be the Zulus as they are quite popular and have been in every civ game before. Sumeria is probably going to be in-game at some point as a full fledged civ as well.

Civs that I'd like to see:
Assyria
Vietnam
Brazil
Sumeria
Khmer
Moors
Congo or Zimbabwe

Honestly, any new civs/wonders/units are welcomed. I would rather have Atilla and Polynesia than no Atilla or Polynesia, even if they are borderline civs. I will always pay for more DLC.

If you guys have ideas for civs, post them here. Let's not turn this into a "this civ deserves to be in this game" thread. Sick of those.

I think it would make sense if they made a Ancient Civilizations expansion that would include Israel, Assyria, and Sumeria. Would synergize with the introduction of faith, and they might make a bundle option for those who haven't bought Gods and Kings yet. Maybe -10%? Something like they always do. That's my prediction for what it's worth.

I'd like to see the Hittites. They're a major ancient civilization that hasn't got much (any?) love from the Civ series despite being a pioneer in iron, a military rival to ancient Egypt, and the predecessor to several important but smaller civilizations (like Lydia and Lycia). Harappa/Mohenjo-daro would also be interesting, as would the Maurya Empire (I wouldn't add both, however). I'm a sucker for the ancients.

Top Bottom