1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Any word on new DLC?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by JTWuest, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Gamling

Gamling Chieftain

There is always room for more wonders, but I would love an Ethnic diversity expansion with different unit skins for each culture, like in the the existing mod. They could include one extra unique unit or building for each civ and it would be a success for sure.

Another expansion I wish for is one with improved trade, where international trade routes were visible on map and could be blockaded etch. The more luxury resources witch is present near city compared to what the trade partner got sets the gold you earn. Id like it if the caravan units was back to set them up. Caravans would have increased water movement. The great merchants could be able to create more or improved better trade routes than the caravan unit.

I would also like if they added a slave mechanic since its been a big part of history. Slaves sometimes get captured by defeated units, or taken in barbarian camps. Slave that can act as workers until they perish or join cities to boost production and food. And while they add special city population they should add nobility and religious population as well. Perhaps if you got the right military social policy you can have your fourth level veteran military unit join the city as nobility to get culture, extra unit exp and points for building generals. While the priest population give extra faith and happiness.

Another thing I would love would be improved environmental rules like in Alpha Centauri where every hex would have different water assets calculated from things like rainfall (Rainfall being dependent on the distance to the seas/lakes and surrounding mountains) and the vegetation in surrounding hexes. So if you cut down all forests and create farms the water access in the hexes and those beside them will be slightly decreased, affecting the food output or in worst cases creating new desserts. And if you burn down the farms the tiles would eventually have forests growing back like in northern France after the viking plundering the country for several generations.

I guess it would be complicating things to much to create different soils its enough to have today's plain, grasslands and tundra tiles etc. You know a big part of the world that used to be green and lush with rich animal life is now desserts or close to it because of what man has done and that is a thing that can create interesting aspects in a game like civ.

Please Firaxis take these ideas and use them. :)

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yes, but we're not talking about something politically or morally controversial. If we were talking about the anti-Israel or anti-Tibet bases, you might have a point. But the objections to the Zulu are completely different.

Firaxis/2K won't get into any trouble if they release the Zulu, there'll just be a couple of forum rants. Hence they don't need to worry about the antis.

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, I'll probably complain that there are plenty of better choices and then I'll buy the Zulu because they'll probably be fun to play.

4. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Likewise, it may be a little frustrating but at the end of the day the name of the civ is fluff, if it's designed poorly it'll frustrate you much longer.

I'm hoping for some civs that open up some really different options for playing. So far the DLC civs have been really different and interesting (polynesia, spain (sort of), inca) or attempting to maximise your science output. The latter kinda feels like cheating to have such direct improvements to your science.

5. Jatta Pake

Jatta Pake Warlord

I'm not sure I understand how a Civ could be "controversial". By definition it is any society or culture in a time and place. The only distinction would be whether it actually existed or not. The Confederate States of America did exist. As did the Jewish Hasmonean Dynasty. As did Hitler's Nazi Germany.

Civ selection should be value neutral or you open yourself up to a slippery slope of value judgments with all Civs. Every people has an historical "enemy" that could be defined as insulting by their inclusion. In my everyday life, I find the public display of Confederate flag deeply offensive. But I have no such regards in a game, and would love to play as the CSA in a Civil War scenario.

In fact, a simulated Confederate victory in the Civil War could be profoundly thought provoking. As could a World War 2 scenario that imagines a lasting Hitler/Stalin alliance.

I understand how market considerations dictate and influence product decisions but I hardly think "controversy" could be a deciding factor in any Civ DLC release. Leaders, yes. Civs, no. The very idea of calling a group of people too "controversial" for Civ is itself racist. You end up excluding people based on a value judgment.

The only value distinction that one could argue is that a group does not qualify as a Civilization, but rather is a non-history impacting City-State. Or they are nameless Barbarians (a whole other consideration in terms of racism). If there is any "controversy" in Civ, it is that non-agricultural based societies are nothing more than hostile barbarians. If that isn't too "controversial" for Civ then I dont see how a Tiawan Civ could be too controversial.

6. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Stalin was in the 1st Civ, wasn`t he? I remember playing it and that was before I knew modding even existed so it was obviously part of the main game.

Personally, I`d like to see characters such as Stalin and Hitler as an option character to face. I was watching a WW2 docu where Chamberlain had to make several visits to hitler for peace and I`ve always wondered how creepy it must have been to sit face-to-face negotiating with Hitler. Stalin would`ve been a creepy one to negotiate with too with his deadpan expression. You`re wondering what`s going on in their heads as you ask them not to spy on you or whatever. I don`t like nickle and dime DLCs but I would probably pay for those two.

But I guess we won`t ever see that.

7. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Hitler was still like non-infamous at that point. When Chamberlain thought he could negotiate with him, its out of actual genuine belief because Austrian Funny Mustache wasn't running around death camps and death squads 24/7 yet, or declaring war like a CiV psycho

As for Stalin...

From Time-Life Russia Besieged:

Make of that what you will.

8. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

True to some extent. But Chamberlian as the rest of Europe were desperate for peace (appeasement) so he tended to overlook what Hitler was really about hoping he was not as bad as he probably was.

Seems kinda obvious.

9. Jatta Pake

Jatta Pake Warlord

I think the educated elites in the West knew what Hitler was about. Discrimination against Jews was acceptable and tolerated in the West. America actively scapegoated, segregated, and terrorized Blacks during this time so Hitler views were par for the course. Henry Ford held similar anti-Semitic views and published them for mass consumption.

Point being, educated elites knew but largely failed to do anything about it. The horrors of WWI made a little racism tolerable in the grand scheme of things.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Back to topic please (means not WW2 or Hitler).

11. pensivepeppers

pensivepeppers Chieftain

It would be logical to sell an expansion with DLCs and w/o DLCs, but I sure hope it's not $39.99! (That's so very expensive D:)

12. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

That`s what I tried to get by waiting nearly two years. Got the GOTY plus the GK, but apparently that`s not all of them yet.

In the old days it wouldn`t matter because I could sell this one when the proper full with everything version eventually got released (as it will) and buy that. problem is, with Steam, I`ll now be stuck with TWO copies (as I can`t get rid of the other) if I try that which means now I have to buy the rest bit by bit.

These guys sure know how to nickle and dime the ordinary customer. :(

13. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

Have there been any "whispers" from 2K about a patch for G&K. Seems like it's been out for a while, surprised there hasn't been a balancing patch yet.

Usually a patch is also a precursor to a DLC release (isn't it?)

14. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

There was a very small patch that came out at the end of June or beginning of July. I don't remember what it fixed, but it was nothing big.

15. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Everything is about XCOM ATM.

16. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

And rightfully so. That game's gonna be A-MAZ-ING. :D

17. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

It's finally back to basics with XCOM. Isometric turn-based ftw.

18. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

NAH! It may seem so at first, but it will fall by the wayside. There is only one civ, and a million tactical shooters. :)

19. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

X-COM is not a tactical shooter. Do give it a try.

20. DesertRogues

DesertRogues Between Here & There

Instead of a Souix DLC I would rather see an Anasazi civ, the Anasazi were today's Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, Ute and even Apache to some extent. Great house builders (see Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde) and astronomers. I could see a nice mix of civ traits in there.