1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else in love with Strategic View in Civ 6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sidiust, Nov 11, 2016.

Tags:
?

Strategic View in Civ 6 is

Poll closed Nov 19, 2016.
  1. The best thing ever!

65.0%
  2. Good, but Civ 5 was better.

3.8%
  3. Meh.

27.5%
  4. Horrible!

3.8%
  1. mnf

mnf King

I agree that the strategic view is starting to feel too stylized, but relatively speaking it's still a lot clearer than the 3D mode. Perhaps when the SDK is released, we would be able to mod the graphical assets to make a real strategic mode.

I do want to note that aesthetics is not necessarily about art or graphics, all user interface design need to have aesthetics in mind. It can be aesthetically pleasing yet still be minimalistic, clear, concise, efficient and accurate.

Personally I like the Civ V treatment where improvements appear as icons so it doesn't obscure the underlying terrain and feature.

The one thing I seriously cannot accept in the current strategic view is the fog of war. I feel the whole implementation of fog of war in Civ VI completely destroys any credibility in their claim of making the map easy to read.

2. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

I don't use it that often but I do like it

3. ELRACj

ELRACj Warlord

I even started recording my episodes in strategic mode. I really cannot believe how nice it looks. I switched to it to allow my computer an easier time to run but I genuinely love it. I am even playing in strategic mode when I am not playing.

4. dirtrobot

dirtrobot Chieftain

I have to in mid-late game as the noise of information is insane with developed cities.

5. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

Personally that's the one I usually play at. Sometimes I go to normal mapmode just to glance at the map though.

6. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I would love it if I wasn't confused by how districts are represented, changing their appearance based on what you build in them I guess. I'd prefer they were using the same graphic with some minor indications of buildings. Like some clear graphic indicating commercial district (something other than a giant coin) and 3 dots inside or something that get lit when buildings get build. 3 dots lit when all 3 are build.

Other thing bothering me is fixed UI that just looks out of place in SV. All those cities and units hovering icons are quite awkward to look at and use.

7. tomekum

tomekum Chieftain

Yes, It looks great and its just more clear than the cluttered 3d view. I liked it so much that it inspired me to make my own civ-style game with similar looking map. It's called Signum Temporis to anyone interested.

8. rkagerer

rkagerer Chieftain

Whaddayaknow, there are other people who feel the same as me!

I tend to play the whole game in Strategy View. I'm an old Civ1 through Civ3 fan, and felt the switch to 3D in Civ4 wasn't appropriate for a game like this. It introduced a lot of clutter into the map obfuscating the information you really want to know, and constrained the breadth of view so you can't see as much of the world at a time.

I just wish I could zoom a little further out on the strategy view map.

You guys might also like Eep's Civ 6 camera settings which let's you tilt the main view like this:

Spoiler :

Or the camera config crazy console command which gives you a nice huge strategy map (but unfortunately causes clipping artifacts at high zoom levels in the main worldview mode):
    Spoiler :

Still trying to find a way to make the resource icons smaller.

---------------------------------------------

EDIT: Breaking Newsflash! I've released a mod which lets you zoom further out, including on the Strategy map:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016