Anyone else in love with Strategic View in Civ 6?

Strategic View in Civ 6 is

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't use it that much although I think it's functional. I mainly use it to see barb camps and pillaged tiles easier.

Very useful when checking for unexplored areas and finding barbarian camps that have just spawned.
Personally I love the squiggly borders

Only time I use it is because of the bug where rivers is invisible on the 3D view.

Still think it's sexy though, but I find the 3D view way better.

If I had to nitpick, it's that I just wish Aqueducts and Neighborhoods didn't only show icons but a complete artwork instead. Since both districts don't have any buildings to put them into, they're stuck being green icons forever.

That said, I do love the strategic view.

Reactions: mnf
I loved strategic view in Civ V but am not a fan of the new version. Beyond performance (which is one important reason for strategic view, but not the only one), the appeal of Civ V's strategic view is that it's simple, elegant and easy to read. Civ VI's strategic view is none of these things. The squiggly borders, which force you to take a second to see how the tiles fit together instead of knowing instantly, are the most obvious culprit, but they're not the only one. The unique drawings for each type of building and improvement look good in isolation but can be difficult to keep track of. This is made worse by the fact that multiple icons on the same hex (units, resources, improvements) overlap with one another, instead of occupying distinct positions as they did in Civ V.

I loved strategic view in Civ V but am not a fan of the new version. Beyond performance (which is one important reason for strategic view, but not the only one), the appeal of Civ V's strategic view is that it's simple, elegant and easy to read. Civ VI's strategic view is none of these things. The squiggly borders, which force you to take a second to see how the tiles fit together instead of knowing instantly, are the most obvious culprit, but they're not the only one. The unique drawings for each type of building and improvement look good in isolation but can be difficult to keep track of. This is made worse by the fact that multiple icons on the same hex (units, resources, improvements) overlap with one another, instead of occupying distinct positions as they did in Civ V.

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Better than Civ5's strategic view, but I only use it when looking for pillaged tiles.

I find its as useful as the lenses. They all have their part to play. The size of units annoys me to play it all the time.
I was around before computers and am an old board gamer so I should be more used to strategic view but this game is not intelligent for me to treat it like a proper strategic game in the true sense.

To me it is about soaking it all in and I enjoy the waves and so forth. Just get annoyed that once the fog has cleared its still too foggy

not a huge fan. i dont like the wind waker kiddy aesthetic. it really difficult to distinguish between plains, desert and undiscovered tiles.

i dont use it as much as i could.

My biggest complaints are you can't tell unique buildings in a district, you can't tell if it's a unique district or not, especially after the first building is built there, and the edge of the map looks terrible (I play mostly inland sea)

I use the Strategic View because the 3D view is a confusing mess that hides and disguises useful information from you. The Strat Map does this too, but less so.

The Art Team went a little overboard on terrain decorations and trying to disguise hex tiles in a tile-based game.

All this time, no matter CIV 5 or CIV 6, I have been in the beginning disliking the strategic map, mainly because I lose the joy of eye-candying the beautiful graphics rendered in both versions.

But in the office, my machine is really very limited, it's actually a VIVO PC. Apart from putting up with the CPU's under average speed, the Intel on board chipsets also limits the graphics functions. Yesterday I was trying to play a game and as turns progressed, the game got slower and slower. So I switch to the Strategic view.

20161114150852_1.jpg

After a few hours, I find myself quite used to it and it's good actually.

I don't use it very often, but I like it better than Civ 5 (I didn't see an option for that on the poll). I usually only turn it on whenever I have a hard time distinguishing coastal water from ocean, and then I turn it off again.

Last edited:
I love it and I don't even have the game yet.:mischief:

On a side note, does anyone have a picture of a sideways facing Piopiotahi in strategic mode? I'm working on a world map based on this view over on reddit and It would be cool to have Milford Sound facing the right way

I have to use strategic view most the time because of my specs but I find it very visually pleasing and with less visual bugs than I found in civ 5's strategic view mode

I love the concept of a strategic view, but the implementation is very bad. What was their goal for it? It is certainly not mine. I want a completely unambiguous view of my cities, their tiles, and their districts.

The jagged hex borders have to go
A commercial district should be a golden circle with small + symbols on it for each added building.
Each other district should be very clear and unambiguous.
There should be very clear city boundaries in think line, so I know where each city end or begins.
It should not have aesthetics in mind. This is an information view only.

If you don't want the above in SV, then please give me a third view where I can actually find my districts!

Top Bottom