1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else quit playing?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicboom12345, Dec 12, 2016.

1. sonicboom12345

sonicboom12345 Chieftain

Yes, the promotion system. We are all very nostalgic for the Civ IV promotion system with combat, drill, shock, medic, commando, etc. promotions... much more interesting, and much cooler, especially when you get that one unit to the point where you can attack multiple times in one turn. Civ6's promotion system is too streamlined and boring, and some promotions are completely useless (cliff scaling...)

It's actually a funny thing to say... We don't run any mods, and if you saw the rig our host uses with its water cooling and its dual GTX 1080's, you'd probably be jealous. XD

2. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

I am surprised at so much love for the new worker system, I find it uninteresting

Incremental investment in workers means that the main thing I am doing with each one is clicking five times to move them to the next desired tile, for a total of 10-20 clicks just to improve 3 tiles that I could have just… literally clicked on… and this with none of the opportunity cost of immortal workers that made maxing your worker paths interesting in V. i.e., "How long I take to improve these three tiles has no impact on how quickly the next 3 and after tiles are improved, so I don't care about moving this unit, so why am I being forced to think about it SO much."

As I said in another thread a disposable "tile improvement unit" shouldn't need to be moved anymore, it should just shoot out to the target tile after being built like a caravan does, then die.

TheMeInTeam and ZubieMaster like this.
  3. isau

isau Deity

Not sure I totally agree about being able to instantly teleport, but I agree that giving Workers more movement makes the game more fun. That's why in the Rocketboots mod all units (even Settlers and Workers) get the +1 movement. Makes a huge difference for me in my enjoyment of the game.

4. Scarhart

Scarhart Chieftain

I've stopped playing. The lack of viable coastal cities, an AI that won't attack my cities but declares war for absolutely ridiculous reasons, plus a host of other feature fails. Started numerous games, but haven't even made it past the Renaissance before getting bored or frustrated. Waiting on patches.

Pythakoreas and ZubieMaster like this.
  5. Zinowolf

Zinowolf Chieftain

Yes I have. There wasn't a single point that I could disagree with in the OP's remarks. For me, the game is just outright broken. There are so many things to list on top of the ops post, but I'm sure you all know them. Not saying there isn't "fun" to be had, but anyone that disagrees with the points being made is simply in denial. This incoming patch is hopefully extremely thorough. Anything less is simply a band aid on what is hands down, my most disappointing game of the year.

6. Emi999

Emi999 Chieftain

I quitted playing just 2 games after the first patch.
    It's not even the AI that bothers me, but the diplomacy system. Too "skirmish" like, if you know what I mean. How is it possible that a company that developed a nearly perfect diplomacy with SMAC pulls out this mess? Single player games feels like a training ground for multiplayer, and this totally destroys my games.

A pity, since I basically love almost all the core mechanics changes (districts, new workers, etc).

I regret I spent so much money for the game. I should have waited 1-2 years and a sale, I think.

Zuizgond likes this.
  7. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Not instant in my imagination, but scooting along (I should have said "scooting") like a caravan does, 1 tile per turn, so that it can be intercepted and repurposed or just killed by barbs / enemy players. In this way you could still use the production item of "builder" (I hate that word though, I think "workforce" is better since they do not make your buildings) to transfer hammers between cities, but with a predictable increase in travel time...

8. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

I have also quit playing, but I did not expect the game to be balanced or very playable in the first year. I did buy it after the first patch because, well, I felt like betting it would get better.

Even so, my reasons I can't even continue to dip my toes in the water at this point, surprise me. The following things have to be fixed before I can play and a lot are ones I don't trust Firaxis to prioritize at all:

- Garbage tech quotes. I can't play if the game is ruining its own historical atmosphere all the time
    - Districts should not cost production. from a gameplay and realism standpoint they should just unlock naturally as your city economy develops and local citizens "need" them. I can't play a game where I have to stop what my city is doing for 20+ turns just to redefine map resources (district for a dirt tile). It grosses me out, makes me feel bogged down, and confuses me. A district is just a patch of dirt with a sign on the front.
    - Movement torture. I don't like putting so much thought into how I will not use every unit's full movement points every turn
    - Zombie Beyond Earth per-city trade route torture. Just give cities automatic dots don't make me swipe at them over and over like a cat begging for dinner.

Then the turn-offs that aren't as surprising, and I suspect will improve by next year: AI, diplo, tech v production balance...

BUt WOW what a laundry list. At least my $60 entitles me to have fun chatting about the game in here meanwhile...

9. spfun

spfun King

I would have quit sooner than I did If i had another game or something else to move onto. Civ 6 caught me at a rather dull time... 300 hours on steam it just doesn't deserve that much. I'd say half of that was still pretty boring, but better than doing nothing.

10. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I'm still playing but not as much. Not everyday and not every free moment. My playing has definitely slowed way down. Personally I love the game - the early game - and struggle through the rest. The AI and diplomacy are the biggest drawbacks I'm seeing right now. Once the early game tension is gone, the game becomes boring. The AI needs to be able to continue applying pressure throughout the game, militarily, religiously, however. The missionary spam has to go though. I think the patch was suppose to help with that, but didn't really. As for diplomacy, I'll echo anyone else, warmonger penalties are just insane. Don't ever take a city and keep it, otherwise just forget there is a diplomacy system.

11. Dale H

Dale H Chieftain

Meh

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  12. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

I stopped playing, but it is still installed. Gonna wait for the first expansion and/or legit Workshop mods.

13. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Short question to OP: YES!

14. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Yep, I quit. It's no fun playing against a useless AI. There's just no strategy or challenge. A good concept and pretty graphics can only keep me amused for a short time.

I am still regularly checking steam and these forums, desperately hoping the AI has been fixed.

grandad1982 likes this.
  15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

One battles on. Now over 350 hours. Attitude helps.

One survives by only playing 100-150 turns. Doing this slowly rather than racing like one has done on other civ's has provided a different perception.

Victory is immaterial. Staying away from deity helps

nzcamel and greygamer like this.
  16. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Yeah only 10h played and i had to stop due to the terrible ai, worse ui and questionable balance. Been playing since 2 and this is the first iteration to leave me feeling meh.

Will pick it up after her next patch or 2 to see if anything has improved. Till then plenty of other games to play so it's ok.

Lewi11 likes this.
  17. CultureManiac

CultureManiac Prince

It seems strange to me that people who claim to dislike the game and no longer play it still spend so much time on this site.

c4c6, Mr. Shadows and greygamer like this.
  18. Banners

Banners Chieftain

I quit because in all my games, all of the other leaders hated me for no reason. And that made me sad.

19. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Just over 200 hours here. Keep thinking I'll quit ...but one more turn has become one more game :crazyeye:
    I keep it fresh by restricting what I research (and upgrade), also CFF often offers new viewpoints on the game that I experiment with.
    Currently I am practicing founding religions on small map, deity with France, lessons learnt here are useful on my more usual difficulty level.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    whyidie and Victoria like this.
  20. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

civfanatics

Clue is in the title.

racha, esvath, CelJaded and 2 others like this.