1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else quit playing?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by sonicboom12345, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Prince

I set my games to finish after 220 turns, which seems about right for me. I think with every version of Civ I've disliked the later stages of the game, and now I can cancel them.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I quite liked Civ 5 cultural victories as the UN and the musicians gave flavour at the end.
    Here there is just a barren waste with a little mouse moving back and forth making clicking noises.

3. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

I have had trouble with the bug that can render a save unplayable after 200+ turns, so sticking to small maps allows me a chance of victory before that happens.
    I'll try larger maps after the next patch (no, I don't know when that will be)

4. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I have stopped playing after about 40 hours and 6 or 7 games. I tried starting new games but it's just so tedious. I'm always so excited for the first 150 turns when I'm settling and discovering the world. I see so much potential. I love the new mechanics like districts and builders, but there is just no challenges whatsoever and the sense of wonder goes away pretty fast. It's like I'm all alone in a vast, barren world.

5. Gyromancer

Gyromancer Chieftain

I've quit for now. I'll come back when the AI gets better or if a good total conversion mod comes out. I suspect I'll leave again after that fairly quickly if Firaxis doesn't improve the micromanagement or rework their ICS solution.

Zalcron and skodkim like this.
  6. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

What's strange about that? We all still love civ and don't want it to be bad. I check back regularly to see whether there's a new update or mod which might make the game worth playing again. Alas, I'm not holding my breath.

7. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I haven't quit and I probably won't any time soon. I haven't played nearly as much as I thought I would, and I've loaded up V instead several times, but I won't quit at least until I've played all the civs. By that time hopefully things will have improved.
    It's maddening though; I'm learning things much more slowly because you don't have to understand the fine points of the game to win on the highest levels. There isn't much incentive to innovate new ways to use the game mechanics because victory is assured anyway. That takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

8. TehJumpingJawa

TehJumpingJawa Warlord

Yep, weeks ago.
    Back to ck2 & eu4 for me.

Thankfully I didn't waste my money on civ6 (as I did civ5), so I'm not too upset with Firaxis; just disappointed that there's one less strategy franchise worthy of investment :(

Reg Pither and skodkim like this.
  9. DocRock

DocRock Prince

Well, I didn't quit. But I stopped playing it for the moment. I agree with most of your points although I do not play multiplayer. There's great potential in the game, but it feels boring at the moment. Streamlined. On rails. Every game, you do the same.

Let's take a look at 5. What did I want to do? Going for conquest? Let's get the Mongols and beeline Keshiks. In the mood for peaceful science? Korea here I come. Engaging sea battles? Going England on archipelago! Oh and the start. Aiming for a salt start was the best. Or going crazy with a citrus growth start. Beeline Xbows? Or get to Education first? Can I make it before the first DoW?

All that is more or less gone. Eurekas take away all the freedom. The surroundings of your starting city do not matter to that degree. Food is irrelevant because housing. Districts are more important than salt. Add on top the slowness of the new movement system, the constant traffic jams because of religious units and a religious system with way more boring choices than in 5 and you got 6.

Sometimes it feels like being catered to multiplayer games. Balance it to boringness.

Pythakoreas likes this.
  10. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

I am playing regularly - I find the early/mid game quite immersive. My initial play style is similar to how it has been in all other iterations of Civ - I still have not finished a game in 6. I have a tendency to quit at some point after the entire map has been revealed and I have set up a solid core and some great outposts. I usually find the game quite tedious after that point, no matter which version of Civ I have played. The only time I regularly finished games was once I found the Immortal and Deity Challenges for CiV, with all the great ideas shared. Of course, the game was well-developed by then.

Using mods has always kept the game fresh for me (or unique map scripts, etc). I understand I am easily amused, as I am able to play an Earth map a dozen or more times in a row without being bored. I can't imagine having the mindset where only winning (or only winning as fast as possible) was my motivation. For me, that would become super boring, no matter the quality of the game. The CiV Challenge series I mentioned earlier did a fine job of setting unique goals/conditions that kept things fresh, and the camaraderie of the forums has always been a plus. (I was on some Prodigy Civ message board back in the early 90s. :lol: )

I remember in the initial release of CiV, you couldn't really build anything (low production). Mods helped with that before the devs caught up later. There are already mods to help with that in VI, and certain tech priorities help as well. In my mind VI has a pretty rich layout as released if one is more of a sandbox player (as noted earlier), which I guess I am.

I do appreciate that a large number of my early criticisms were taken care of in the first patch. Should most of them never have been seen in a release version? Of course. There is plenty to be disappointed with, imo. But the game is still very fun for me. I bet I have barely played half the leaders yet, and I have many 100s of hours in already.

11. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Yes x100. But I have faith things will get much better, b/c that's how it usually goes with Civ games.

12. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Without us, who would even be creating threads? It's not like there's actually any strategy to opine about yet in Trade Routes And Production Zone Manager VI

ZubieMaster likes this.
  13. HF22

HF22 Warlord

Yep, stopped for now. I'll come back to get the DLC achievements, but don't expect it to be fun until the AI is fixed.

Lewi11 likes this.
  14. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

Ya, this sums things up a lot. The game doesn't have that addiction it used to have.

Lewi11 likes this.
  15. SYahoo

SYahoo Chieftain

I agree, this game is just as bad as Beyond Earth. I can't even finish a game, it is just too boring and visually they took a step back from Civ V. This will be the last game in the franchise I purchase on launch. The AI doesn't do anything, instead the world is just a sandbox. Deity used to be a challenge not a starter setting.

Pythakoreas likes this.
  16. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

According to Steam I have played 58 hours and the last time I played was November 18th. I have no desire to play the game at the moment, so yeah you could say I have quit. The game has very cool ideas but in its current state is a mess. AI is bad, UI is terrible, diplomacy is broken, game balance is completely off. I think I will give it a try again in 1 year or 2. For now, back to Civ4 and EU4.

17. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

Back to CiV Brave New World with Acken's Mod. I think after playing that mod prior to Civ 6 that I'm even *more* judgmental of the incompetent AI. Acken should have been hired to program it (although I realize it may not be fixable from other threads).

Immortal is just crazy stupid for me -- I have to focus on surviving in the early stages. And then the AI actually knows how to *win*?! How strange -- can even build a spaceship logically.

So, I'm not advocating Civ 5 per se (4 is better with no modding), but with that Mod you will have lots of enjoyment during the year or three it takes to get Civ 6 up to speed.

18. Acken

Acken Deity

Haha you're kind but a lot of the AI performance is actually just a combination of actual AI programming from Delnar Ersike and my game knowledge to have systems more AI friendly. And then tweaks here and there. I'm no real AI programmer :) And I would have declined such a job anyway (in a very hypothetical scenario).

It must be also said that Civ5 BNW AI is miles above Civ6 AI making that kind of tweaks able to get a challenging AI fairly efficient.
    Just thinking about what is required to get Civ6 AI in shape without relying on extra bonuses is a huge task.
    And without the C++ code it's not even worth trying imo.

If patches are too slow I may even end up just shelving Civ6 and just finish the mod.

19. Baba Yetu VI

Baba Yetu VI Warlord

To the OP, I've for once thought about only playing the Multiplayer game, but unfortunately, not many games online.

I haven't stopped playing as a matter of fact. I play every day, sometimes, even in the office when I have a moment free. I am a course tutor, I have spare moment.

The reasons that I am not stopping is simply because there are lots of good stuffs in CIV 6 game engine.
    For instance, the BUILDER. The fantastic side of the BUILDER is that it completes the required task within 1 turn. So the time required to complete an improvement practically varies with the time required to generate the worker, nice, neat and above all logical. I wish WORKER in CIV 5 be replaced by BUILDER in CIV 6.

The new SPY feature is absolutely fabulous. I can now create as many spies as I need and assign them to take up more different types of missions. This is something which you cannot do in CIV 5. Again, I wish CIV 5's spy system can be replaced by the one of CIV 6.

The card system of the CIVIC component is a brilliant thought. Now you can choose from a wide variety of policies. And if you need to fall back to a policy which has been used before, you can do so freely. In CIV 5, whatever you've chosen cannot be revoked, that's a flexibility issue. Having said all these, I suppose some policies can be tweaked like for example, can God King be appear a bit later? And more Green cards(Diplomatic) are given in earlier era... Overall, the CIVIC system is a good improvement over that in CIV 6. Again, I wish CIV 5's CIVIC system can be replaced by the one of CIV 6.

There are some features in CIV 5 which worth considering moving over to CIV 6. It is understandable that tons of information is required to displayed and conveyed to the user as required. So the UI is very crucial to this purpose. Can we have a better UI? In retrospect, CIV 5 UI is slightly convenient to use. Is it possible to display the District "advantage" in the UI and made it readily accessible to the user? Each piece of victory contributing elements namely, Science, Culture, Military, Religion are all granulated into very tiny yet finite points and they are originating from different sources. This creates difficulties in displaying the data and summary in a handy way. So, this is something, which hopefully, a few patches will provide a solution/improvements.

As to AI, I wouldn't look at that of the CIV 5. I don't have an idea of that of CIV 4. But I am agreeable to the Barbarians' AI and that of the CS. If the AI CIV is unacceptable, copying the AI of the Barbarians and the CS may solve the inadequacies.

I will go to play the Vanilla version of CIV 5 to see if it is equally primitive as some people have made such comments here. But I will not quit playing CIV 6. I pay for the game, and it is a good piece of product many people has contributed their efforts in to it. So I like to compare it against the vanilla CIV 5 to see how similar they are and then observe the development of the CIV 6 to see if it will be improved as CIV 5 did in the last 6 years.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    PeterChu likes this.
  20. Arkatakor

Arkatakor King

I have quit playing after 71 hours on record. Despite my attempts to try to like and get into the game, I observed that it was clearly rushed and is littered with many annoyances / bugs from the UI, religious unit spam, cramped starting locations, horrific AI, diplomatic harassment, unit click movement bugs, snorefest music, etc.

I payed good money for this game (got the deluxe version) and yet I felt like a beta tester when I played it. I ardently regret my decision to purchase Civ VI. The mods alone can't address all the issues; I have tried a myriad of them that did things like addressing district build times, eureka boosts, tech per era times, none of them solved the main issue: This game makes you feel aimless and is essentially boring. Like the OP, I have never played a full game (in my case I never went beyond the gone beyond the industrial era in my longest lasting 2-3 games).

I have now gone back to civ5, which I find much more challenging and enjoyable.

Ron West likes this.