Anyone tried Lemmy?

Mise

isle of lucy
No, not that Lemmy. The "federated", open source version of reddit. I'm still getting my head around how it works, but so far it feels great - like the older, wilder days of the internet when communities were smaller and niche (like CFC!), and the discussions tighter and less of a race for the most rehashed meme/joke response. With every "modern" social media company crapping the bed, a decentralised version where anyone can make their own instance, stay small if they want, and still federate with other instances to be part of a larger conversation/community has a lot of appeal to me. Anyone else used it?

No; not tried it, I see the most popular topic for the UK are:

Narrowboat and UK inland waterways ( canal and river )​

Indeed, lots of niche weirdos over there. I like it.

I've signed up at https://feddit.uk btw. Would recommend avoiding the main "lemmy.ml" instance as the mods (and a large section of their userbase) are tankies and remove posts critical of China, Russia etc. Find a local instance, or an instance that seems cool to you - that's what I'd recommend to anyone who wants to give it a go.

I have not tried it, but I really like the model.

Could some social media named "Lemmy" ever became mainstream? ^^
What would you have thought about "tweeting" on "Twitter," if that had been presented to you as a question?

Why is Lemmy any more weird sounding?

Answer to the question is no. CFCOT is my only social media.

It does beg the question of where the name comes from. Is it a contraction of Let Me? Is it a tribute to the great musician?

Nah, as soon as they do catch on, the name seems inevitable. The ones that don't, no one thinks about, and certainly no one blames the failure on the name.

It does beg the question of where the name comes from. Is it a contraction of Let Me? Is it a tribute to the great musician?
It is indeed - it's named after Lemmy from Motorhead.

Nah, I don’t use reddit for the community, I use it for its vast repository of information.

I’ll keep using reddit with self-hosted teddit/libreddit.
Yeah that's a fair point - I might set this up so that I still have access to the info on there without having to use the actual website.

I have not tried it, but I really like the model.
It's a very exciting model tbh. There's loads of stuff you can do that is kind of alien to me right now. For example, if you are on Mastodon and want people on Lemmy to see your post, you just @mention the relevant community on Lemmy and then they will see your Mastodon post in their community feed as a Lemmy thread. Then people on lemmy can reply to the thread on lemmy, and it will show up on the original Mastodon thread. Folks on Mastodon can then reply to the Lemmy replies on Mastodon, and so on. That way, people on Mastodon can talk to people on Lemmy without having to have a Lemmy account; and people on Lemmy can respond without having a Mastodon account. It's really quite clever how it all works.

I went to look at it, but I have to join it. So I didn't look at it.

I went to look at it, but I have to join it. So I didn't look at it.
Really? I followed the link above, ended up on https://lemm.ee/ and just read stuff like it was reddit. I did no joining.

Reddit is privately held and does not report its financials. It has been raising investment dollars prior to an anticipated IPO in late 2023. 2021 revenue estimates from ads are ~$350 million.

Top Bottom