Anyway to speed up loading times?

wilmer007

Chieftain
the loading time for reloading a save is ridiculous. i remember civ 4 the loading was just like 10 seconds or so. civ 5 is like a full minute for me. what can i do to improve loading times? would playing DX9 instead of DX10/11 make it faster? anything else i can do?

I think someone mentioned defraging your hard drive would help with load/turn times. I don't have the game yet though, so I'm not sure.

well the game is installed on my D drive which Disk Deframent said had 0% deragmentation and the C drive had only 4% defragmentation.

so i grabbed the stopwatch on my iphone last night and wouldn't u know it, it takes 2 mins 45 secs to reload a save from a game already loaded. it takes 2 mins to load a save from the main menu. that is way too long. i wanna compare everyone's loading times and see how i fare with everyone else. almost 3 mins is way too long of a loading time. i hope they do something to improve loading times. so what are some of your loading times?

It's very slow, and gets longer the bigger and later your game is. I don't know what they could possibly be doing that could justify such long load times, especially since saving a game takes about a second. With the intro video turned off, it takes about a minute or two of watching a black screen for the game to even start to the main menu.

Using DX9 won't help anything; it's just as slow on DX9.

well the game is installed on my D drive which Disk Deframent said had 0% deragmentation and the C drive had only 4% defragmentation.

If you quoted the numbers correctly then your hard drives are very fragmented and a defragmentation would be recommended on both drives.

Fragmentation: lower numbers are better
Defragmentation (if such a word exists): higher numbers are better

Let us know if it helps. Waiting for so long is really annoying.

are you guys using quick saves? I don't have the problem but I don't really save that often and when I do I manually overwrite my old savegame.

I doubt that it would help. The save games are not even a megabyte in size. Even if your disk is heavily fragmented that will load in 2 seconds.
The small save file size is probably a reason why loading takes so long. It sounds counter-intuitive that loading a smaller sized file takes longer, but its more apparent if you have done any sort of programming.

In order to "load" a civ game, it first has to literally load the file from disk, then it has to reconstruct the memory state of the game. This the time this reconstruction takes actually has a inverse relation to the file size, given that the programmer has not one something brilliant/stupid.

The main reason for the load time though, is probably loading the main civ5 game files themself.

Future patches may improve the load time, hopefully.

It does not bother me to much. I just pop the game up while I am doing something else so that it is done when I am ready to play. The only way I can imagine this is a real problem is if you want to get a 20 min playing session inn, or if your one of them who loads everytime you lose a unit.

cheers

My time for loading, is about 5 minutes for loading, and one minute per turn for my somewhat late term game. I so need a way to speed it up. Not only does this take a long time, I have a lot of other things to do so this takes up a lot of my time. anyone have any ideas?:confused:

The small save file size is probably a reason why loading takes so long. It sounds counter-intuitive that loading a smaller sized file takes longer, but its more apparent if you have done any sort of programming.

In order to "load" a civ game, it first has to literally load the file from disk, then it has to reconstruct the memory state of the game. This the time this reconstruction takes actually has a inverse relation to the file size, given that the programmer has not one something brilliant/stupid.

My saves start at 500k and get bigger as the game goes on. I'm a programmer and I also don't understand the small file size=longer load time concept. Unless, do you mean his pc might be compressing the save and the unpacking makes it take longer? But that still would take longer for a larger file.

Top Bottom