ARCHIVED: WIPs - Interfaces & Static PCXs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quickie comment: the teardrop could/should be pointier, IMO.
(I know, everyone imagines Barsoom a tad different)

Not good, anyway I'll be offline 'til Thursday. It's census time, yay!!

I'm very encouraged by the progress on the Cities. Can you make the mushroom caps a bit wider? That's my only suggestion so far...
I went back & compared the model to the Frazetta inspiration:

I can raise the cap to reveal more of the flare already built into the top of the column. I think I should also make the cap a little more pointed. I'm not sure how well those changes will show with the isometric projection used by the game, however. I can certainly make it wider although I don't want to end up with

I'll see what I can do with a couple of trial changes & post them side by side.

Well, the cap could be a tad pointier and the stem itself should be more… irregular. No mushroom around here grows that straight. A few bumps here and there would do the trick. (I know, it's a building, but, still buildings are not so straight either.)

Well, the cap could be a tad pointier and the stem itself should be more… irregular. No mushroom around here grows that straight. A few bumps here and there would do the trick. (I know, it's a building, but, still buildings are not so straight either.)
Remember to consider game scale, that it will be surrounded by other buildings, and that in this case uv texture (which hasn't been applied) is better for small details than additional geometry. ;)

So, using the models you've posted (resized), some of Kyriakos' walls, and applying some Cn'P magic and shading, I worked up a sample city based on the Frazetta pic you posted:

View attachment Frazetta City sample.pcx

I thought this was easier than trying to make unintelligible suggestions.
As an example of how things disappear at Civ scale, there are actually little windows on the buildings if you look closely...

Yes, that's the rough look I'm aiming for. The windows, etc. will be handled by textures rather than modeling. One advantage doing it that way is that the same model, resized in one or more dimensions & with a different texture applied, can look like a different building in the same architectural style. Further differentiation can be done adding things like the connecting arches seen in some of Frazetta's work.

I think we're on the same page. This is my pipeline:

Base models=>simple textures (color schemes)=>test assembly into cities=>variations in size & detailed texture=>finished cities=>walls

Right now I'm still at the base model stage. Once we have an acceptable fundamental shape for each of the building types then we can start looking at them together for comparative size & start to check out overall color schemes. Adding details like the windows will come late in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom