archphoenix's HOF attempts -- win

thanks.
I player many other games.
and I think reload is the nature of games.
when I meet HOF, I am amazed by the rule,
what a crazy thought that a game, not only civ3 but also other games, can process without reload? especialy in difficult level(in civ3 deity or sid)?
after 3 months participation, I now myself can easily finish
deity without a single reload.
that'a why I highly praise HOF, not only for civ3, but also my game career.
ok, gossip stop here.

@superslug
I can't find the exclusive club link.the link lead me to
page quartermasters.php.

and another question,
once I "earn membership into a pretty exclusive club."
does that mean I can't submit further HOF games?

------
by the way, English is not my native language,
and It is my very first to post on a foreign forum.
SO maybe I violate forum manners unconsciously,
lacking of the local culture. not even a same culture group :blush:

archphoenix said:
@superslug
I can't find the exclusive club link.the link lead me to
page quartermasters.php.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't know English wasn't your native language. I was referring to the Quartermaster's list as the exclusive club, even though it's not really a club.

archphoenix said:
and another question,
once I "earn membership into a pretty exclusive club."
does that mean I can't submit further HOF games?
No! Our Quartermaster's are sometimes our most active game submitters. Even for those of us on the list, it's possible to move up and down the list.:) We've even had one player get pushed off the list and get back on it later.

spoil post, just avatar test. :lol:

@Mistfit =, thanks a lots for a kindly avatar.

@GIII game
I fell to win some pangea maps without Persian,
Finally I use the legendarily Ir, Use MWs to gain a
advantage.
but I feel bore suddenly, and change to dom victory.
till now, I still afraid Histo, 100K, big conquest victory.
especially the mythical HUGE MILK game. :lol:

i finish a common small monarch 20k game.
the only surprise is:
I get first sgl at philosophy,
then free get republic for second sgl.
that is, after revolution in turn, i see 2 sgl in my capital.

very later, about robotic, I get the third sgl.
no more suprise, but crash get me some.
I play movie when play civ3, and the game crash times after MA,
mutter....
and after victory I misclick botton to quit.
so reload again to reclaim victory, this time choose
"let me play more turns".
mutter....

half a year past, now I see whether I can survived Sid on Pangaea, I get a CB sgl and literate sgl, but still see no future.

I play a Tiny with Rome, Hittite and England.
the England spread too fast, though I DOW to england and draw rome and hittite into war, hittite quickly quit the war, and rome still show thire crudeness ,DOW to me and conquest my iron city.
(Rome have no iron and I have 2,)

after study ,this my HOF performance:

Chieftain:too easy

warlord: let's lock

Regent: any option random is ok,on any common generated map .

Monarch:choose my favority civ and stuned AI,90% chance to win on any map.

Emperor:upon Monarch, I need manual restart to choose some map.

Demigod:upon Emperor, landform is important, and I need Mapfinder help me.
after all,retry is important, if found this map sick, hurry to next map.

Deity:map is crucial,if good enough, with a cb-SGL,I can survive on pangaea,
good map defined like this:
super good start location, at least one city can become 4 turn settler factory.and one city can become 2-3 turn worker factory.
good lux distribution, 2-3 nearby.
AI is far away, with poor start location such as without freash water.
rivers nearby quite rich, In one of my games, 8 of first 10 citys beside river, save 8 aqueduct and 16 gpt.

Sid:god bless you,even with 2 AA SGL, I can't survive on pangaea,
my only 2 sid games show my chance.
always Archipelago, if tiny, block AI, don't let AI leave their mainland;
if small or larger, block yourself, don't let AI land on your mainland.
i know other theory how to win on SID, but never try.:blush:

well, for what it's worth - it looks to me that the HOF Sid games are either pangea fast conquest games (or derived from them) or arch games, at least for SS and Diplo - I assume no one tried a diplo Sid game with the English on pangea, at least.

I wouldn't feel bad about that, archphoenix. heck, you've won on Sid! I've never made it out of the ancient age yet ;)

IMHO, when I want win on SID for the first time, I keep some super map , and heavy reload to play some fairly good map, to experience the SID level, grasp some rules to win on SID,
A player will finally win the SID, just how long it take.
maybe some reload play on fixed map will let novice accumulate experience a little fast.

use these thicks, I'm now run two game in progress:
1.before start:
choose civ, sci and ind is good, so otto or persia.
choose AI, greece, korea, and germany.
why not byz? byz is seafare so don't let her relocation you coast start location.
raging babarian, so some more 25 golds wait you ,and you anicent cav will promote to elite.

ideal start location: (option)
river, coast side,12pops can get more than 25spt.
2nd city can become settle factory.
3rd city can become worker factory.
ivory nearby.
river riched on nearby map, so save 100s aqueduct.

2.use mapfinder v6.5, hundreds maps wait you.

3.CB-SGL is mandatory, so let's waste 19/20 games of total.

4.free settler, since it's chief,
warning: don't building settler before you warrior meet one.

5.MYST-SGL or 3-more-tech-SGL,oracle is very good, so you can get one game each 200-400 games.

6.single NGPT, before first maintain building(temple) built.
use all GPTs to buy tech from AI (or just gift them), 20 turns later, you will reward by 200-300golds.

7.don't be lazy, manual worker from A to Z.

8.classical trick, republic sling shot.

9.classical re-revolution trick, if first republic revolution last more than 3 turns .

10.don't build any excrescent building,

11.quickly conenct at least 5 lux.(5lux+market+chief = 12 happyface).

12.precision prebuild. when a tech researched, at the same turn, build the just-available-city-advance.

13.pop up village to get Free Monarchy, build HG earlier.

14.classical trick, age advance tech sling shot.

15.let AI run NGPT! buy AI resource with GPTs, sell tech to AI for these GPTs, then resource DENY!
if possible, settle nearby a resource and gift the city to AI to let AI have exceeding lux.

16.use gold from LET-AI-NGPT trick, let any city advance in capital finished in 1 turn.

17.build FP as early as possible.
early FP to help you economy. use gold to help the FP city build courthouse and market, then start FP at once.

18.always maintain 1-2 worker factory,

19.build worker from worker factory and join worker to big citys,especially FP city.

20.build troops then dismiss in other city contributing shields,don't lazy to just build wealth.

21.kicking off a couple of AI's golden ages can actually help you.
A) It gives a civ a kickstart on infrastructure, which might help them research some of the optional techs for you (chivaly, Military tradition, espionage, maybe sanitation)
B) It can provide a lot of cheap, easy to kill units for your elites to make MGL's.

22.choose raging babarian, let them drive AI worker to their captial, let you buy workers.
but in my best game, a babarian destroy one my unprotected settler!

23. prepare full 20 tiles improved and 8 workers when Shakespeare's almost built, once built, pop the city from 12 to 20.don't forgot!

24.prepare in advance when 4-5 turns into IA, it's ideal that you rail all captial tiles when steampower researched or free get.

archphoenix said:
raging babarian, so some more 25 golds wait you ,and you anicent cav will promote to elite.
I've always kept away from barbs in 20K games as I didn't want the AI popping huts and taking away an SGL opportunity. I guess that you're pretty safe on Chieftain though. ;)

9.classical re-revolution trick, if first republic revolution last more than 3 turns
Does this work on C3C. I thought that this had been fixed after PtW. Am I wrong?

Tone said:
I've always kept away from barbs in 20K games as I didn't want the AI popping huts and taking away an SGL opportunity. I guess that you're pretty safe on Chieftain though. ;)

I've used them to generate a settler for me. Unfortunately, even on chieftain, the AI can have a hut next to its capital, and pop CB from it. Makes getting that CB SGL remarkably difficult. The other problem with huts is that they will give you techs, and take away your own SGL chances.

Does this work on C3C. I thought that this had been fixed after PtW. Am I wrong?

Yeah, I thought so too.

This has got me interested in a low level 20K game. I'll try it with raging barbs but I don't see me retying until I get a CB SGL. I just need to finish off my Roman game first.

#15 is very sneaky BTW. Nice one, archphoenix! Have you tried it out?

On chieftain games, barbs are useful, but I usually don't go higher than roaming. Problem with barbs is that you have to dedicate resources to protecting settlers/cities from the barbs, which means fewer workers/settlers to expand with.

However, having them is very useful for gold (chieftain AI's never have enough gold), for techs (nice to pop Lit or monarchy from a hut) which can get you to the middle ages faster and for elite training. especially on chieftain, this can be the only effective way to get a leader for heroic epic, cause chieftain AI's are useless.

Actually, barbarians on chieftain become a much more serious problem than the other AI's, and usually end up hurting them more than you - but a barbarian uprising at 1000 BC can be a real problem.

Tone said:
#15 is very sneaky BTW. Nice one, archphoenix! Have you tried it out?

I use it in one of my game, good effect, but too late to improve score a little more (maybe contribute 2-3 turn?)

AutomatedTeller said:
but a barbarian uprising at 1000 BC can be a real problem.
in the same game, one of my early MA settler distroyed
by babarian, and one city raidered by lots lots of babarian horseman :mad:

and I forgot add workers to 20 pops after Shakespeare's built, until TOG! very panic!

AutomatedTeller said:
I'm confused - why is #15 advantageous? I don't see how that help any - you could just sell them tech for resources, no?
You give them gpt so that they can give it back to you in the second deal. If you can then get the resource deal cancelled honourably, the second deal stands so you still get gpt from the AI but you don't pay them from the first. i.e. your income has increased. It looks like a good way of getting the AI to cough up gpt when they haven't got any spare income.

AutomatedTeller said:
How do you do that? break the trade route between you?
I was thinking of aggressive settling. Breaking a trade route I guess is OK, as any rep hit would be taken by the AI. Correct or have I misunderstood the mechanics of reputation here.

AutomatedTeller said:
It's very sneaky.
Agreed!

Top Bottom