Are "Civ" players also "Pirates!" players?

Are you interested in Sid Meier's Pirates!, Firaxis's next release?

• Yes! I'm a big Pirates! fan, and I'm looking forward to it.

Votes: 254 37.5%
  • Yes! I'm not really a Pirates! fan, but I'll try it because it's a Sid Meier game.

Votes: 116 17.1%
  • Maybe. I'm interested in trying Pirates!, but just because I like good games, and not really becaus

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No! That's a completely different game. My game time is reserved for Civ.

Votes: 60 8.9%
  • Uhhhh... never heard of it until now. What's Pirates! about?

Votes: 157 23.2%

• Total voters
Don't think I'll even look at a game about Pirates...too much media hype last year over the whole "Pirates" theme...what with that Johnny Depp movie, the Survivor series, the remake of Peter Pan. Ugh! Too much. Oversaturation. Time for something different. Something that doesn't go "Arr!"

They are already planning or even filming Pirates of the Caribbean 2, now that is what I call milking the cow to the bitter end. :p

For Pirates!, I think it is time for a *really* good revival.

Yes, i´am a big pirates fan. But you guys should also look at our german Port Royal 2. I think it is not easy to make pirates much better :groucho:

When I was a bit younger I loved Pirates! Gold- that unfortunately doesn't mean that I'd play the new installment- actually I am quite surprised that Firaxis kept up the plan of making a Pirates game after competition hits (at least grapghically) such as Pirates of the Carribean (just to mention one of about five in 2003.

If the game offers innovation over the all so well known "trade, plunder, saber duel" looks good, and feels genuinly novel, then it might become an item to take a second look at.

IMHO Atari would be served better if it excersiced pressure to pursue classics like Colonization- or perhaps even a better SMAC II- and if that is not an option to make the best out of a game named Civilization IV (comparing CIV3 with some of its predecessors such as SMAC, TOT and CTP1&2 revealed several step-backs in game features, possibly caused by too many talented people having left Firaxis in the past. Please ensure greater quality control over Firaxis' games)

Port Royal 2 sucks. That is just my opinion. Even after several critical patches, it was and still is buggy. It is a game of a type that is probably known as German economics simulation, I never liked this game or Anno 1602/1503.

Okay, not everyone must share the same taste.

But I would really want something better as successor or Pirates! and Pirates Gold.

@ Longasc

I think you mean Port Royal and not the second part, which will come out in Sommer 2004. Hope it will be less buggy :rolleyes:

Btw, buggy, look at the multiplayer part of Civ3:pTW :mad:

I'll try it, but only if it has cataphracts ;)

*actually, I'll try it anyway, even though from what i hear its an RPG, whic in most cases I find distasteful at best (though the avernum series by Spiderweb software is perhaps the lone exceptio to this rule)

It was a RPG, but with both strategic and tactical elements that were more akin to a "pure" strategy game.

Oh yes I loved pirates, have 3 or 4 different version of it, but nothing beats the orginal version to the c64, think I bought it back in 88......

Originally posted by wilbill
It was a RPG, but with both strategic and tactical elements that were more akin to a "pure" strategy game.

I hope it is just relativey the same but with improved optios, sound, graphics and stuff like that. Of course some improvements and new things, but maybe 'just' like Civ 1 compared to civ3, or something.

I'll probably buy it, try it, and then find some way to complain about the software industry selling bug ridden software.

OR... maybe i'll just wait till it's patched before i buy it.

Originally posted by Civrules
Jeff,

I know that I would like to play it. I am 15 so I don't know if older people in the Civ community will play Pirates! but I do know that people my age will probably like it.

Tsk Tsk Tsskk

Many of us Older players grew up in the c-64 days... when Pirates! Was a great game for its day, I'd say if Sid's remake is like the old game, with of course alot More oophff to it It will be a hit with us Older gamers..

Yo -- Gainy bo, where'd you get a picture of my mouse pad??

www.huns-r-us.com ;)

Btw, i'll give a brief explanation of pirates to those who want to know.
You would basically just sail around the Caribbean/North-South America raiding towns by the sea. If you were successful, you could convert that town to your nationality (English/Dutch/Spanish etc) , as well as get lots of gold -- to put in the piggy bank for a new boat :). If you chose just to visit the town, then you could go see the Mayor, and possibly marry his Daughter. You could also pick up sailors, which would make your ship more powerful. There are other boats sailing around the seas, which you can fight/run away from.

That's all I can really remember, and is probably wrong, but it gives you an idea :)

ummm, I remember the original. Sorry to say I was not crazy about it. Still might give it a try. What I really want as far as another Civ game is Railroad Tycoon. Yeah I know, Poptop does them now and they are pretty, just not as good as the original. I still can't believe they scratched the change and wait on the consist. :(

Originally posted by frunobulax
No, I'm a disgruntled Mac Civ user - I'm prefer playing games by developers that support the customer, like CM4 and the fantastic EU2

If you buy a system designed for graphic art editing and work, you shouldn't be surprised when games don't come out for it. If you want a gaming machine then get a PC or a console, that's no surprise. Griping that a game isn't released on your computer, when it's a well known fact that quite a few games aren't ported to Mac, like they aren't ported to Linux, is like complaining that a fire is hot when you stick your hand into it.

Originally posted by alsoDavo
ummm, I remember the original. Sorry to say I was not crazy about it. Still might give it a try. What I really want as far as another Civ game is Railroad Tycoon. Yeah I know, Poptop does them now and they are pretty, just not as good as the original. I still can't believe they scratched the change and wait on the consist. :(

You can manually assign the consists in RRT3, if that's what you're complaining about. At least now the game isn't so simplistic that it assumes the *only* way to ever move cargo is on a train some how!:crazyeye: :lol:

Ozy, maybe I should take a second look but I did not see cargo handling even close to RR1. In it you could drop cargo at a depot, have another train pick it up. This was mighty handy and necessary if you needed a specific cargo several cities away and had only a small amount of it. A city would also grow depending on whether it was getting the cargo it needed. One fun strategy was watching one of those little towns in the West grow into city.
To take this a step further, a city would grow because of its location. This is something I have thought about for Civ. Just as in real life cities grow because of location, I think it would be great fun in Civ for cities to grow not only because of the food produced but because of location. Maybe other players don't do this but I usually have one or more cities where I move my ships and troops before deployment. Another reason could be trade. Both Civ I and II came very close to this with the caravans and the produced/required goods.

Top Bottom