are you still enjoying the Policy Card system?

I think that even in a strategy game you can allow something that have a small benefit to be a bit tedious, so some players can develop mastery by doing things other people don't bother. Timing policies has a small effect on the game so in my opinion could be a bit tedious. If it was needed to win the game I would have said that the game is tedious (which, by the way, is why civ is not a pure strategy game. You can play and win it without paying too much attention to strategy).

Now - how to make cards more fun - there are many ideas and opinions here. I don't like the suggestion to lock cards until you change government because it will make the game less forgiving and less fun for a forgetful player like me, while not actually make selecting policies more fun. It will block an optimization that the few people who use do probably because they enjoy it. Having fewer cards with more impact I think is good. I think the "economic" category is too wide. I also think governments should have more impact on what you can choose, and more impact on the game in general (but less negative impact on diplomacy).

I really like the government system. As many said, there needs to be balancing - between the card types and also between the cards. But the system itself is cool.
Some thoughts I have:
- don't penalize people that are ehead in culture compared to tech. Those "+Production to units from era1 and era2" should also include always earlier eras.
- Give some more meaningful military cards. I mean cards aside from the +unit-production cards there are not many other types of military cards. If you get to have a government with 5 or mor military slots... there aren't many nice cards.

There is already plenty opportunities to change a card. What about limiting the amount of card changes each time a civic is finished? For example you can only change 1 card each time for the first 4 government types, 2 cards for the next 3 government types and 3 cards for the last three. For each additional card change 1 turn of anarchy could be introduced. Makes the anarchy system more present in the game too.

What would you gain from such limitation?
What about some policies take time to get full effects (for example production bonus will be 5% per turn up to 50% after 10 turns - same with reduced upgrade cost)?

What would you gain from such limitation?
What about some policies take time to get full effects (for example production bonus will be 5% per turn up to 50% after 10 turns - same with reduced upgrade cost)?

The same as what your suggestion does. Making the choices done for policy cards more important and "abuse" of switching forth and back less tempting. Though your suggestion is more subtile. But I think that anarchy system should be more present in the game too.

I don't miss anarchy much. Wonders and traits that allowed me to escape it were desirable in all my civ games since the original. As things are it's very easy to miscalculate when you need a policy. Right now the price for a mistake is double the price or a few lost turns (depends on my culture output). I think the current system rewards expertise but is tolerant to mistakes. But if people want a more limiting, less forgiving system i'd prefer less anarchy.

I do appreciate that with the Policy Cards, we're able to debate about a working system. Whether we agree with the amount and/or kinds of cards and the frequency of changing them, the whole system works throughout the whole game and I think does add a good layer of strategy.

One annoyance I forgot to mention: maybe it's just my old computer, but the drag-and-drop method of changing cards often doesn't work on first attempt. The card doesn't get picked up or I think I'm dropping it in the right place but it goes back to the selection side. Of course, this is a UI problem, not an issue with the system design.

One annoyance I forgot to mention: maybe it's just my old computer, but the drag-and-drop method of changing cards often doesn't work on first attempt. The card doesn't get picked up or I think I'm dropping it in the right place but it goes back to the selection side. Of course, this is a UI problem, not an issue with the system design.
This happens for me all the time also, and on a not-so-old computer. So definitely something wonky here with the UI.

The same as what your suggestion does. Making the choices done for policy cards more important and "abuse" of switching forth and back less tempting. Though your suggestion is more subtile. But I think that anarchy system should be more present in the game too.

I know you've put it in quotation marks; but I don't understand the thinking that switching policies back and forth is abuse.

It's great but I do think there are plenty of balance issues with the strength of the cards - there are a lot that I just never use. Personally I find this way less tedious than anarchy and much more fun. It can get mildly annoying switching cards or missing the window but I still prefer the flexibility of having the option to do so more often than not. I think the system will get better over time and it would be nice to see them add some new cards with the next update or at least tweak some of the existing ones to justify their existence.

Some cards seems useless. Not enough Diplo cards. And what about the GP purple cards. I never use them, I find that the +2 GPP/turn is not enough even early game, just run a project instead if you need GPP !?

I use the Great Prophet card. Early in the game I have better things to do than run projects and on lower difficulties (which is what I play) it will usually be enough to get me a religion.
Then for most of the game will get things through districts and late in the game may faith buy if there is something particularly good.

One of the greatest flaws is how easy it is to generate money. If Money would be harder to get, more competition between cards would emerge. And purple cards would be buffed a bit as well. Buying GP is way too easy.

Top Bottom